DC's Tarot Notes! The Four Suits

LaLaBella

DC's Tarot Notes!

I've been trying to learn tarot for quite a while now and have not made as much progress as I would like. What I am going to do is take 1 suit every few days and put down all the pertinent notes that I glean from my numerous tarot books. My references are these.
Tarot for a New Generation
Tarot, Plain and Simple
The Tarot Companion
The Sacred Circle Tarot
The Secret Tarot
The Arcadie Aqua website
This is purely for my own edification. I'm just posting my notes because they may be of use to someone else and as I tell my children, sharing is good :) If anyone has anything to add, please do so. Thanks!

LaLaBella

Cups

Cups-

Element: Water
Season: Spring, summer or autumn
Zodiac Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces
Elemental Spirit: Merfolk; Undine
Human Experience: Emotional-the soul
Psychological Function: Feeling
Virtues: Hope, Love
Vices: Anger, Lust
Keyword: Receptivity
Highest Power: Love

Less or Absent Cups-Qualities that are lacking or need development
Emotional coldness or distaste
Emotional needs not being fulfilled

More or Excessive-Too much focus or overwhelmed by specific matters
Being smothered by others; over-possessiveness; emotional claustrophobia
Large family gathering; family reunion; big party
Having to manage several relationships at once
Emotional self-indulgence; being manipulative or petty; being a martyr

Weakened by: Wands
Strengthened by: Swords
Stable with: Pentacles.

Depicts-
Manifests in personal life. Denotes intuition based on intense feelings or bodily sensations. Not visions.
(+) Love, happiness, family celebration, partnerships, commitment, emotion, fantasy & surrealism. Reflects events and processes by which we become aware of our emotions & the different ways that we accept, repress or act on our feelings. Can portend blessings. Can reveal unconscious motivations that influence the matter in question. Also the need to satisfy soul needs.
Stands for the soul, the eternal essence, & the unconscious. Feelings & premonitions, inner voice & spiritual experiences. Inner perceptions & inner wisdom. Joy, grief, emptiness & fulfillment.
(-) Mood changes, dissatisfaction, relationship problems, emotional crises when one feels that their life has no meaning.

Traits-
(+) Emotional, artistic, creative, sensitive, nurturing, tender, pleasant, touchy-feely. Relationship-oriented, kind, friendly, companionable, romantic, impressionable, imaginative, caring, compassionate, empathetic, intuitive. Psychic responsive, aesthetic, concerned about the needs of others.
(-) Weak, unreliable, tearfully sentimental, angry, resentful, emotionally intense. Mood swings. Emotionally demanding due to deep insecurities. Their own emotions can be easily manipulated. Easily distracted. Indulges in too much wishful thinking. Difficulty in structuring their lives.

Areas of Influence:
Love in all its manifestations. Romance, marriage, infatuations, true friendships, erotic alliances. Includes love of animals, especially as pets. Love of home as a spiritual refuge. Passions for spiritual disciplines. Music, art, beauty, creative activities
Fertility, generosity, abundance of mind, body and spirit
Creativity involving color, taste, ambience, subtleties, comfort
Clairvoyance, psychic intuitions, hunches, dreams, spiritual guidance, spiritual healing, cleansing and rebalancing techniques, the unseen, and the unconscious mind.

Occupations-Counselor, artist, musician, psychic, welfare workers. Any job that deals with feelings.

LaLaBella

Wands

Wands

Element: Fire
Season: Summer
Zodiac Signs: Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius
Elemental Spirit: Salamander
Human Experience: Spiritual and Creative, the spirit, the will, vision,
Psychological Function: Intuition
Life Stage: Youth
Virtues: Faith, Fortitude
Vices: Sloth, Envy
Keywords: Energy, Work and social activities
Highest Power: Vision

Less or Absent Wands-
Powerlessness, feeling that things are out of your control
Being disorganized; lack of order
Writers block, or similar lack of creative inspiration
Being unmotivated
A lack of passion or vigor

More or Excessive Wands-
Intense creativity and inspiration
A power struggle; conflict with work-mates
Rigid organization; lack of flexibility

Weakened by: Cups
Strengthened by: Swords and Pentacles

Depicts:
(+) Power of intuitive inspiration. Something that needs to be done. Enterprise and distinction. Charisma, energy & self-confidence. Job/business related activities. Innovation. Can-do attitude. Different situations may come up quickly, often bringing opportunities & the chance for adventure. Arrival of interesting people in you life. Those around you may become more energetic or enthusiastic.
(-) Challenges to overcome.

Traits:
(+) Energetic, cheerful, outgoing. Vital, enthusiastic, fun loving. Active, resourceful, fond of travel. Inspiration, creative, entrepreneurial. Having leadership ability. Impetuous, ardent, sporting, joie de vivre, restless, impulsive, pioneering enterprising, sprightly. Self-starters who are good at leading and motivating others.
(-) Shallow. Can become overstressed when they are over programmed, trying to participate in too many activities. Superficial, self-centered & egotistical. Sometimes repress other people’s self-expression by trying to outshine them.

Areas of Influence:
Travel. Mental or physical. Intellectual adventures. Holidays and traveling. Spiritual inner voyages & leaps of the imagination
Deals, negotiations & speculations
Career, as defined by dreams, visions, wishes and life direction. Defined in broad concepts such as service to others, self-expression, risk-taking, inventiveness.

Occupations: Property, publishing, entertainment, innovative enterprises
Entrepreneurs, salespersons, teachers, preachers

Strega

Great idea, DollChica!

I'm sure everyone can learn from these posts. :)

Kirali

Thank you for posting! It's so informative that I'm going to print them out and stick them in my tarot journal!

Thanks again! :)

Trogon

DollChica;

Excellent idea and excellent work so far! I am also printing them out for further study. Thank you so much for putting this together. Looking forward to the next installment...

Trogon

LaLaBella

I'm going to finish up my Swords and hopefully my Pentacles notes this weekend and hopefully put them up on Monday. Then on to...Numerology!!!
Thanks for the positive input everyone :D

starfish66

DollChica said:
I'm going to finish up my Swords and hopefully my Pentacles notes this weekend and hopefully put them up on Monday. Then on to...Numerology!!!
Thanks for the positive input everyone :D

I'm looking forward to reading about the Swords and Pentacles! Thank you so much for doing this, DollChica.

Blessings -

:TEMPS Starfish

osami2717

I love your information!
So thorough, so rich in detail. :D
I like the part about less/absent and more/excessive cards for the suits and am looking forward to reading more.

I don't understand the part about elements being weakended or strengthened by other elements. In my VERY limited experience, I've never come across anything like that... but it sounds fascinating.

Does weakening mean they cancel each other out? *reminds self to go to the library to try to find books you listed* Or is it like the cycle of destruction/production they use in the Chinese Zodiac...I know that my element is earth and that I am naturally drawn to fire element, color shapes etc. because fire birthed earth and I know water weakens earth so I should avoid lots of dark blues and blacks because they tend to depress me...

However it works, I intend to look into it. Thanks for your thought provoking post!!

LaLaBella

Cups and Wands don't mix well because Wands represents fire. How do you put out a fire? With water (cups). And what happens when your mix water and fire? You get steam or evaporation.
That's the idea behind the weakening and strenthening suit portion of my notes. You have to consider which element each suit represents.
Hope this helps some.

dc