Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

wavebreaker 
wysiwyg

How do you pick extra cards?

If you want extra cards for clarification after you've done a spread, how do you pick them?
I suppose that if you fan out the cards, you pick another card from the fan.
But if you deal from a pile, do you simply take the next card from the top of the pile or do you shuffle again?

Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
SherryZoned 
Citizen

I think there were threads on this..anyway..sometimes i shuffle sometimes i take off the top..depends on what is going on in me..
SherryZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
HudsonGray 
Citizen

We (a friend & I) tried drawing two extra cards for a reading once--she pulled one off the top & it was the Knight of Pentacles, said 'oops, I should shuffle' and did about 2 minutes of shuffling then drew a card.........the Knight of Pentacles. Hmm. It's quite likely that you can just pull off the top for any extra cards you need to clarify.

OR you can take the bottom card, shuffle, fan or do whatever your instinct says to do. It's not a hard science.
HudsonGray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Phoenix 
Citizen

If I need to choose a clarifying card, I usually just look off the bottom of the deck. Otherwise, I just choose the next one of the top. I have also been known to cut the deck.

Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Kaz 
Citizen

i just flip the top cards of the deck if i need clarifiers.
usually i take 3 of them to tell a little story about the card i have troubles with.

kaz
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Emily 
Citizen

Most of the time I just take the extra cards off the top of the deck but I do sometimes shuffle again and take the cards that way. Also instead of a clarifier after a reading I'll do a 3 card mind, body, spirit spread using all of the cards.

-----------------------------------
A good student never stops learning
Having fun with the Liber T
Not all who wander are lost

Last edited by Emily; 15-09-2002 at 20:26.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Fuzzmello 
Citizen

You know what? Often a card flashes or even drops from the deck as I'm shuffling. I make a mental note of it and use that card to clarify things in the reading. If a client needs clarification, I fan the deck and have them choose three cards.

Fuzz

Old 16-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
napaea 
Citizen

when i do a reading for someone ( which is ususally on computer) i always fan and pick out of that. if i need a clarifying card i fan again. sometimes after i've picked the # of cards, another will be looking at me going "please?!" and so i'll put it aside to see if i need it later.

i think you can do it any of the ways described here.
i just like to ask which one is needed or helpful and then see where i end up.

great question, i hope lots more people respond to this.
napaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
catlin 
Citizen

I usually leave the fan open so the querent can choose the clarifier cards but sometimes I just take the next three cards from the stack.
catlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
emily2otters 
Citizen

i take from the top without shuffling. i take time to verbalize the question (eg. "what's a good way to respond to this 8swords energy?") before drawing.

sometimes the reading leads to an entirely new question for which i need an entirely new spread. in those cases, i'll re-shuffle.

Old 19-09-2002 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today