SG--Crystals & Gems... Things NOT to do with them

the hermit

At Pollux's suggestion I'm starting this thread to consolidate the list of things NOT TO DO with rocks, crystals and gems.

We've already discussed a bit about washing them, but let's reiterate...

Many of the wonderful and precious stones we've all collected for our pleasure as well as mystical and magickal uses are sensitive to liquids.

Beware of immersing any of the softer crystals such as Selenite or any other Gypsum rocks in ANY water or other liquid (I have a friend who was SHOCKED when her lovely rock crystal melted when she tried to purify it in water... it was a nice big Rock Salt crystal :) )

Also beware of immersing porous stones such as Turquoise or Lapis Lazuli. They can be damaged long term by water or salt water and soapy water can damage any gem stone that isn't sealed over the long term.

Also be careful when using salt around stones. Porous stones such as those mentioned above as well as Selenite and other Gypsum rocks can also be damaged by burying them in salt.

Another warning involves x-ray machines such as those at airports.
Crystals, in particular clear Quartz or other types of Quartz can be damaged (turned darker and cloudy) by irradiation and x-rays are irradiation. The newer, more powerful x-ray machines being installed at many U.S. airports could be particularly problematic. And remember that not just carry-on luggage is being x-rayed now. It is my understanding that the goal, at least here in america, is that ALL baggage will eventually be going through x-ray machines. This will NOT make them dangerous to you, but it will change the crystal.

I’m sure there are other warnings I’ve missed or forgotten.
What about the rest of you Aeclectician Rock-o-holics?

catlin

Never bring minerals such as turquoise, malachite, pearls and corals in contact with hairspray or perfume as they can damage them, too. Even the acid of your sweat may cause damage to such sensitive minerals.

Some ppl recommend salt to clean minerals but I do not use this for all my minerals. I prefer cleansing them in a bed of haematite chips and charge them in a bed of Rock Crystal.

Kyrielle

I've heard of long exposure to strong sunlight fading the color of Amethyst and Rose Quartz.

-- Kyrielle

the hermit

Sunlight exposure...

exposure to sunlight effects many stones and crystals.
i've read many authors stating that it can have an adverse effect.

i suppose that if you have a very pale amethyst that prolonged sunlight might fade it but i've never had any problems.

but in fact, the few times i've seen any effect was that it darked certain crystals and rocks.

it can cause carnelian to become a deeper red as can heat if enough is applied.

radiation such as xrays also can darken crystals and some unscruptulous dealers use it to create fake "smokey" quartz crystals.

ametrin

my oh my...a new, great forum!

Just found this forum...wow! Why haven't I seen this before?? *smile*

Just want to add this list of stones not suites for elixirs etc.

I made this list a couple of months ago for a crystal healing mailing group I am a member for.
--------

Stones that should NOT be put in water to drink

Amazonite – use with caution, the color is a result of traces of copper, which is toxic)
Atacamite – poisonous (copper)
Auricalcite – Poisonous (zinc and copper)
Azurite – poisonous (copper)
Boji-stones – unfit – (contains some sulphur) There is some secrecy re it’s contents – which means you really should not drink it… (Would you take a pill you did not know the contents of?)
Bronchantite – unfit and poisonous (copper)
Cavansite – (copper)
Chalcantite (AKA “blue ****”) – poisonous (copper)
Chalcopyrite (peacock stone) – poisonous (copper and sulphur)
Cinnabar – poisonous (mercury/quicksilver)
Conicalcite – poisonous (copper)
Copper – poisonous
Crysocolla (AKA Venus-stone) – poisonous (copper)
Cuprite – poisonous (copper)
Dioptase – poisonous (copper)
Gem Silica – poisonous (copper)
Galena/ Galenite – poisonous (almost 90 percent lead)
Garnierite (AKA Genthite/ Falcondoite) – Contains nickel
Halite – will dissolve in water
Hematite – will rust
Lapis Lazuli – poisonous (the pyrite inclusions, that is…)
Magnetite – unfit (Iron, will rust)
Markasite – poisonous (sulphur) (marcasite has the same chemical make-up as pyrite)
Mohawkite – poisonous (copper, ARSENIC etc.)(Keep away from children!)
Psiomelan – poisonous (barium)
Pyrite (AKA fool’s gold; Inca-gold) – poisonous (sulphur)
Realgar – poisonous (sulphur and ARSENIC) (Keep away from children!)
Smithsonite (AKA Galmei/Zinc spar)– poisonous (zinc (may also contain copper))
Ulexite – The rock will loose its lustre when in contact with water
Vanadanite – Poisonous (lead)
Wulfenite – Poisonous (lead and molybdenum)
-----------

An updated list can be found at:
http://www.solarraven.com/f-55-TOXIC-STONES.html

ladycj

Opals

I know that Opals are very sensitive as well. I have been told that they need to be "oiled"? Although I'm not sure about this. But I do know that they can dry out and crack.

Blessings.

cjtarot

Valuable info...Tanx

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting this thread. I have printed it out.

As a newby to stones and crystals, the more I learn the better.

CJ

DeLani

Re: Opals

ladycj said:
I know that Opals are very sensitive as well. I have been told that they need to be "oiled"? Although I'm not sure about this. But I do know that they can dry out and crack.

Blessings.

Yes, I have many friends who are jewelers, and they always keep their opals in little vials of purified water. Some of them are VERY EXPENSIVE jewelers, working with diamonds & such, so I trust that they know what they are doing when it comes to gems.

catlin

Yep, I can confirm this.

I have seen ppl on gem expositions keep opals in water, even the little splinters. I also make sure to "water" my opal at least once per month.

Kyrielle

Bump, due to recent upbringing of the subject again.

--Kyrielle