Mantegna Deck (merged threads)

MystiqueMoonlight

Mantegna Tarot

Has onyone got the Mantegna Tarot published by LoScarabeo and artwork done by AA Atanassov?

I know it's only a 50 card deck so for some this would not be a true Tarot, but I have ordered this deck mainly because I like the artist's work.

I would like to hear your opinions of it.....

wavebreaker

I just won it on eBay a few hours ago... :D
I too mainly wanted it because of the artwork. But I'd be interested to know if anyone actually uses it and whether it's easy to use.

I'll let you know what I think about it when I get it.

Logiatrix

i like it!

MM,
this is a favorite in my rather down-sized collection...
it's very soft, abundantly "peopled", and pretty to look at. i found it to be best suited for personal readings, pathworking, story-boarding, that sort of stuff. i did have difficulty using it like "regular" tarot, or reading with it for others. BTW, the LWB includes intructions for a kind of "tarot solitaire" that's pretty neat to play with. anyway, i used this deck for about six months, but it's on my shelf now. it was fun and interesting to try, and i still pull it out occasionally to admire.
my main deck is the visconti gold, also enhanced by the same artist, so i may be biased, but mantegna is a keeper for me as long i still consider myself a tarot collector!

wavebreaker

Tarotholism strikes again...

I haven't even received my Silver Mantegna yet, and then I saw a copy of the original edition published by Meneghello...
Suddenly my mouse started clicking like mad and my keyboard seemed to have a life of its own. Next thing I knew there was an email in my inbox telling me I had ordered the deck...
Obviously, I had nothing whatsoever to do with that, must be some new computer virus?? :D

Metaz: glad to hear you like it so much!

Pollux

Re: Tarotholism strikes again...

I have had Mantegna for a while. But just half deck, cos I missed the second instalment! *LOL*
I can't see how I could use it, I am too attached to the general idea of tarot cards, and structure.
I could have used it ala Tarot Majors, using each cards as a Major Arcana - Mercury as Devil, Saturn as Hermit, 1st Sphere as World, the Artisan and Magician...
The artwork is soft and pleasant. Maybe I'll get one in the future..

tarotlady said:
I haven't even received my Silver Mantegna yet, and then I saw a copy of the original edition published by Meneghello...
This really saddens me...
I would have LOVED to feel GUILTY for making you get another deck! *LOL* })
What a pity... My Tarot-holic powers are fading... *LOL*
If you had told me before, we could have swapped decks. I have old Mantegna's by Meneghello all over the place in the ONLY bookshop selling decks... *LOL*
It will be for another time... :)

catlin

This deck is still on my wishlist, I am reluctant because it is only a 50 cards deck, but on the other hand the Atanassov artwork is just stunning and a silver foil deck is a must to balance out my gold foil decks (wow, this is another excuse to get a deck LOL).

Myrrha

Mantegna Tarot

I have this one and am very happy with it. The "checkerboard game" given in the LWB is a solitaire game that seems to work as a relaxing pre-reading ritual. The cards are set down in a grid with meanings for the rows and columns. I had to change the meanings for the columns slightly in order to make sense of it, but it gives wonderful, very inspiring readings. The card meanings in the LWB are given in the form of direct advice and there is something about how the meanings are expressed that just really works well for me : "Observe the situation from many points of view"
"Harmonize the forces at play, attract friends, disorient enemies" "Change masks or reveal yourself". If the reader has feelings or knowledge about the arts and sciences, the planets, etc. it will enrich the reading. For instance if you are an actress, either on the stage or in everyday life, the Thalia and Melpomene cards might have an enhanced meaning for you.

MystiqueMoonlight

I got my Mantegna Deck today!!!!

Yes I got my Mantegna Deck today and I have to say it didn't only speak to me.....it yelled out to me!!!

Now I know in the modern sense this isn't a true tarot in that it only contains 50 cards...but I strongly urge those of you interested in Tarot of around that period (1450's) to take a look and have some serious consideration of this deck.

It is truely remarkable and I can't wait to use it....In comparison I have to say my Visconti Gold deck is running in a close second now....

If any of you have this deck I really am interested in your experiences with it.

starfish66

Congratulations on your new deck! I'm not familiar with it so am off to go and check out some pics ;)

:TSTAR Starfish

aeonx

I have this deck, but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. I've also asked around on Aeclectic, but none had used it. :( If you come up with any good layouts, I would be very interested in hearing about them. :)

~aeonx~

Btw, I simply love this deck, it's magnificent!