Vandenborre tarot

catlin

Anyone working with this one or having it? I checked it at Frankfurt book fair and wondered why it seems to be rarely mentioned.

I did not get this deck as the edges are not rounded so they will easily wear of after some handling but the cards are made of a nice sturdy cardboard with a smooth coating.

Maan

Hi catlin some time ago i was looking for this deck but i was told it was OOP...so maybe i will get it now.
Its a historical deck and made in belgium and well thats practical The netherlands...and i believe in the time of creation it was actually..so it feels like a part of my "personal" history ;) I must have ;)

catlin

No problem, Maan, it is still in print here. Do you have something nice to figure out a trade ;)

Maan

catlin you have got pm :)

Kissa

browsing different Marseilles styles, found the belgian Vandenborre.

here is a review from Tarot Passages: http://www.tarotpassages.com/vanden.htm

now the question is: is it me or have all cards been flipped over?? the characters seem to face the "wrong" direction... is it only a "mistake" from the scanner or did is the deck really like this?

?

Kissa

edited to add: allright, scans from the Mystic Eye here: http://www.themysticeye.com/pics/bacchus.htm
and they show the same thing...
very interesting deck, really... anyone has it? for trade? :D

Tarotphelia

I have this deck, but not right at hand so I can't check to see which way the cards face in reality for you.

It's a very odd deck . Look carefully at The Spanish Captain for a naughty subliminal.

HudsonGray

That is a very strange deck. It's not 'flipped' cards because the wording is still readable, so the artist reversed all the directions.

But I don't think the Moon has a seated 'man'--it's a woman, she's spinning with a spindle/distaff (wool on a stick arranged in a bound bundle but the threads pull down from the bottom and are hand spun from there. Boy that moon looks like a cabbage.

And why put Baccus in place of the Hierophant? Some comment on drunken clergy?

Kissa

HudsonGray said:
That is a very strange deck. It's not 'flipped' cards because the wording is still readable, so the artist reversed all the directions.

indeed, indeed HudsonGray... you make a point, i would be such a lousy Sherlock Holmes, right?

hum... Bacchus as the Pape... the artist had a bad hangover when he drew the deck? ... on New Year's Day perhaps?? :D

i liked the lines and the colours very much in this deck, but it is definitely too far away from the more traditional TdM designs, flipping directions like this IS a big thing, changing meanings dramatically IMO...

thank you guys for the info!

Kissa

baba-prague

I was given the deck some time ago (actually by Carta Mundi, who print it - nice of them). I don't read with it, but do like it.

As far as I know the religious figures were taken out and replaced with the Greek classical figures - such as Bacchus - because at the time the deck was originally produced there was pressure not to show religious references in cards - it was thought improper. You can see the same thing done on other decks.

The figures facing in unconventional directions? Well, to be honest I have no explanation for this - but perhaps someone else here will?

Fulgour

Sp Cpt

Dark Inquisitor said:
It's a very odd deck . Look carefully at The Spanish Captain for a naughty subliminal.
That's why I keep this card pasted to the back of a mirror.