Umbrae asks: "Why do you read Tarot?"

Talisman

'Lo all,

In a thread started by neptune, on shuffling and cutting the deck, always a great topic, there was a little hitch in the path it was following.

Umbrae suggested that if you read Tarot, and have a talent for it, you SHOULD read for others and help your fellow man. I said, "No way."

In the course of this little side note to the thread, Umbrae asked:

"Why do you read Tarot?"

Umbrae aslo advised thinking about the answser very carefully.

So as not to junk up neptune's thread any more, I decided to do a new thread.

I know my answer, but it would be long winded to explain it, and that would kill this thread before it started. So, I'll leave it to you guys, and am interested in both questions: Should you/shouldn't you, -- and why?

Talisman

Lee

Well, one big reason I read Tarot is because it's the one thing in my life that I have complete control over in terms of what I want to do with it. I do it because I enjoy it, and I can do exactly what I want with it. I can switch decks, I can switch interpretive approaches, I can read for others or not, as I see fit. There are of course ethical considerations when reading for others, but other than that, if anyone wants to tell me I "should" do something with Tarot, I am most likely to laugh in their face and then do the opposite.

-- Lee :)

Demonesse

I wouldn't say I have "complete control" over a reading - obviously because there's no way one can guarantee what cards will appear, just try to suit them best as one can to one's situation at hand. And NO, I do not feel any duty to read for my fellow man, since many would:

1) Not appreciate my efforts
2) Laugh their heads off
3) Say "what nonsense"
4) Politely decline.

:smoker: And like Lee, I have a perverse quality in me that does exactly the opposite when someone has the temerity to tell me I "should". In - most - cases, that is. I do not feel any such duty, any more than I have a duty to sweep everyone's sidewalks just because I know how to hold a broom.

However, I must clarify that I think reading for others is a good thing, that it helps them to understand their situations at hand better (I plan to offer a reading on the exchange forum soon), but just that it is not a MUST for me to do so - help if you wish, there's no moral and ethical coercion to do so.

Alta

I must admit that "should" in relation to Tarot reading does not feel right. Tarot does not seem to me like a gift, so much as opening something that was always there and which I never used to use. I haven't decided if everyone could read if they just tried, or not. Since most people don't ever try, it would be impossible to say.
Lots and lots of folks who would not even try to read, nonetheless want readings. I find that strange, being a do-it-yourself kinda gal. As for, 'they need' readings. Well, I wonder. There are many ways to work things through, spiritual, mundane, silly even just letting time pass. Tarot is one path, but if it were the only path, a lot of people would be in major trouble!
I do not think that I have an obligation to read for anyone, at any time. I do quite often, because I enjoy it, but I don't think I have to do so.

rota

I read as a request to the Immanent All: show me, tell me.

Reading for others is part of that.

VGimlet

I read for the same reasons I write - because I want to; sometimes am even compelled to, not by any outside force but by something inside me. Because I enjoy it, both the action and the result.

For myself, tarot seems to help me find alternate ways to solve situations I might be in, and sometimes even a little bit of advance notice on upcoming events. And, as Umbrae himself has said, to open doors I usually keep closed. :)

At this point I (still) only read rarely for others, in spite of my good intentions to use the reading exchange. :D I don't plan to charge money when I read for friends in person, although I am thinking about asking for something else - a memory, or an opinion about something.

wavebreaker

I started reading tarot because I thought it would be "fun". But the more I used it and the more I learned about it, the more I realised what a powerful tool it was.

Now that I'm beginning to realise, in looking back, how much tarot has helped me and changed me in a positive way, I'd like to share what I've learned. I don't see that as an obligation, but as something I want to do.

This morning I offered a reading to someone whose views on tarot I didn't know. I offered her the reading because she seemed at a loss about some stuff that was bothering her. Even though she didn't really know what to think of tarot, she accepted the reading and was very grateful for the offer!
I haven't done the reading yet though, so I hope I'm not going to disappoint her... ;)

Umbrae

Excerpts from the other thread – to put things in Context

Do not misunderstand me – I think that reading for yourself is fine and dandy.

So is driving alone…you can pick up hitchhikers…and help them.

I see so many talented folks here – that do not take their talents outside the house. They box it up and refuse to share – they talk about family, friends, and being ostracized from their immediate community…

For kraps sake, there are a couple billion people on this planet all feeling a little lost…that lost woman in the coffee shop! She was lost…you do not have to find her, just provide a signpost.

I am not waffling – I am providing an unpopular opinion.

The world is a huge place. Filled with people who need each one of us – as we are – and we have much to share – and do not share enough.

We worry…what will they think…what if I’m wrong. Did I shuffle the deck enough? Did I have them cut with the correct hand? What if it’s the wrong deck?

Just a glimmer of hope – a small beacon in the night for lost souls in the tumultuous sea of today’s chaotic world.

After all if ANY of you feel lost I expect a PM…you all know that I am here for each one of you…but the cost is steep – you’d have to help another…

Here is a question. You need to think about the answer very carefully.

Why do you read Tarot?

Is it to be cool, different, witchy, and strange – pick up girls, boys, have something to talk about in a group?

Alternatively, is it because you have a calling to a more spiritual path in life, and Tarot is a thing in of and upon that path? A tool that helps point the way whilst upon that spiritual path.

If you are upon the latter, than look deep within. Sometimes we get too busy, and forget to ‘really see’. We never lose the magic; we instead turn our backs to it.

We all need each others help, that is why we are here, to preserve and rekindle, the harmony. Needing help and accepting it does not make you weak. Turning your back on who you are is weakness.

If we really wish to follow a spiritual path – then we have to do for others.

So, you feel deep inside that you cannot read for that lost woman…buy her a cup of coffee and offer to talk…just talk.

Two things – and then you have my permission tear me apart…

Do good and do not worry to whom.

The world will seem brighter when you do things for others, instead of just ourselves...

And when I mandate that we should help others - it be not always with a deck in hand...

Phoenix

Thought it was fun(still is! LOL!). Don't use it much for divination any more. I mainly use it for magick now.

StargazerLily

I got into tarot because I am trying to find a purpose in life. I'm not saying that tarot is my purpose in life--but it's a good place for me to start. My boyfriend was very depressed and suicidal until he found spirituality. I want that same assurance and peace and he recommend that I find some kind of spirituality for myself--which is hard for me because I'm rather skeptical.

I'm new to tarot so I don't offer readings to others, but I definitely will when I cam confident in my abilities.

The reason for my very first dabbling in tarot (about 7 years ago) was because I saw the Cat People deck in a store and I had to have it!