What does it really mean, to be a Reader?

.traveller.

For some it is a spiritual path a calling, for others it is a means to be of service to mankind, it can be a job, a game, a mental exercise.

There are threads devoted to why we read, how we read, what we should read on, what we shouldn't read on, who is a reader, who isn't a reader, what cards a "real" reader should use, what cards a reader shouldn't use, who's a fake, who isn't a fake.

But what does it mean to be a reader?

How does a reader differ from an artist, a musician, a stockbroker, a mathematician, a philosopher, a historian?

What ties the many different kinds of readers together? What is the common thread? What links the secular readers to the spiritual readers?

Grizabella

Well, the obvious link would be that they all read the cards. :p

I think the common thread would be the desire to share this interest with others. Earning money might be a common thread among some readers as well. And there's the humanitarian element, where the reader wants to make a positive difference for the people he/she reads for.

Sinduction

For me, it's all those and more. It's a part of me now. Like a lump that would have to be surgically removed. :D

moderndayruth

.traveller. said:
For some it is a spiritual path a calling, for others it is a means to be of service to mankind, it can be a job, a game, a mental exercise.
For me personally, its a spiritual path that is of service to fellow human beings, also - a divine game and the best mental exercise! For the best of us, its usually their job too ;)

.traveller. said:
How does a reader differ from an artist, a musician, a stockbroker, a mathematician, a philosopher, a historian?

Those guys that i admire (yourself and Griz included) are simultaneously story-tellers, mathematicians, philosphers and, to various extents, historians too.

I can easily draw parallels between stockbrokers and readers... :p
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_broker

"A transaction on a stock exchange must be made between two members of the exchange — an ordinary person may not walk into the New York Stock Exchange (for example), and ask to trade stock. Such an exchange must be done through a broker."

Folks who are not familiar with Tarot need a reader to tap into the wisdom and guidance available via Tarot. ;)

"There are three types of stockbroking service.

Execution-only, which means that the broker will only carry out the client's instructions to buy or sell.
Advisory dealing, where the broker advises the client on which shares to buy and sell, but leaves the final decision to the investor.
Discretionary dealing, where the stockbroker ascertains the client's investment objectives and then makes all dealing decisions on the client's behalf. "
There are imo preatty much countless types of readings, but among them:
1. Predictive readings
2. Advisory readings
3. Spiritual / psychological readings.

.traveller. said:
What ties the many different kinds of readers together? What is the common thread? What links the secular readers to the spiritual readers?

I think (don't flame me for this :D) that we, the readers, are more into putting labels on ourselves - this and that type of reader - "outsiders" seem to consider all of us "simply" readers.
I draw the line between the readers and con artists; for me as long as one actually reads the cards - they are a reader ;)
(Of course, mileages vary... )

ETA for typos

.traveller.

What about those who read runes or other non-card forms? Are they not readers? Is it the interpretation of symbolism that is important, or the form that holds the symbolism?

sinduction said:
For me, it's all those and more. It's a part of me now. Like a lump that would have to be surgically removed.
So being a reader is a state of being? I can see that.

mdr
:laugh: I love it! We're all closet stockbrokers!

Artists are great ones (along with their art historian counterparts) for labeling themselves and others. Few of the labels are flattering or true, and their usefulness is up for debate.

214red

Being a reader is whatever you want it to be......

moderndayruth

.traveller. said:
We're all closet stockbrokers!

:p

214red said:
Being a reader is whatever you want it to be......
I reckon Gregory will agree with you... :D
(Based on the famous quotation: Tarot is whatever you want it to be ;))

214red

if you label something you limit it, so many people love putting boxes around things so it cant grow beyond what they think it should

gregory

Yes 214red ! I HATE labels...
moderndayruth said:

:p

I reckon Gregory will agree with you... :D
(Based on the famous quotation: Tarot is whatever you want it to be ;))
Then again - yes; that is my famous quotation }) and YES it fits here.....

Wow - I believe in me ! I think I need to lie down....

Onyx

my two cents

214red said:
if you label something you limit it, so many people love putting boxes around things so it cant grow beyond what they think it should

The question wasn't about labels it was about definitions. Though labels may or may not put people in boxes, accurate definitions allow for meaningful conversation and clear understanding of terms.

The original question is a very good one that is full of mixed ideas and can be confusing for mean. Defining our terms when we talk about "readings" and "readers" we can gain a common basis in which to properly and more fully understand the nature of the topic we are all here to discuss.

No one is calling anyone a reader, no one is saying you have to be a reader. But, I would dare say that if you are looking at these alphabetical symbols and understanding their intended meaning with some degree of clarity then you are in fact a reader. I know you may or may hate the label but there it is.

.traveller. said:
But what does it mean to be a reader?

For me the question lies in not what is means to be a reader but what does it mean to read. (A reader is simply one who reads.) It is very, possibly painfully simply the act of interpreting signs or symbols in the attempt to discern meaning. A tarot reading then is the process of examining tarot cards symbolically looking for meaning, normally in response to a question but not necessarily. I would say that one is a reader if they partake in this activity.

I believe that this activity is different from the other listed in a variety of ways.

An artist is one who looks to communicate through a creative process using a medium and that is normally but not always has symbolic features. Musicians I would place in the category of artist but in a specific medium of sound.

Stockbrokers are in a sense sign readers as they analyze data in order to predict trends and growth in particular economic activities for the purpose of profit.

Mathematics is a scientific study of signs which it me seems to pursue the understanding of the universe within the definitions of numbers and their relationship to the physical world.

A Philosopher is not a sign reader but rather almost a professional thought thinker. They are set about the task to examine knowledge, ideas and approaches to obtaining both in a critical manner.

Finally, I think that a historian is possibly the closet to my idea of reader on the list. They examine events, documents and testimonies to determine what is true and what connects cause and effect in events of the past. Those events, documents and testimonies can be considered as symbols and therefore may properly be an idea that historians are sign interpreters in the pursuit of meaning and/or truth.

Onyx.