Has tarot replaced communication...

Amanda

Why don't you ask tarot why some people are obsessed with it? I'd certainly be interested in that kind of thing on the Your Readings forum. :D A nice objective discussion through the cards on the boards... if you don't post it, I might. LOL

I was thinking about pulling some cards on "Why do some people think they must pursue happiness?" But if your question was asked, we might kill two birds with one stone...

214red

however we are not talking moderation here were talking extremes, i think tarot can help introspection, and counselling etc...however not when it replaces communication.

214red

Amanda_04 said:
Why don't you ask tarot why some people are obsessed with it? I'd certainly be interested in that kind of thing on the Your Readings forum. :D A nice objective discussion through the cards on the boards... if you don't post it, I might. LOL

I was thinking about pulling some cards on "Why do some people think they must pursue happiness?" But if your question was asked, we might kill two birds with one stone...

we did kind of grill you about that didnt we:)

okay i am not pulling cards on this topic because it doesnt need any, what it is a discussion about how we are now in modern times using the cards...this is about how we use the cards consciously.

i dont beleive in doing readings on a collective in general because i dont think it gives me a clear picture or a discussion, which is what this is.

this spread is not about the pursuit of happiness, its asking us to about how we are using the cards.

214red

a question....

Do we use tarot to ask questions we would never ask a person face to face (or via email etc), if you do, why?

When do you think its acceptable to do this? are their any caveats?

why would you not ask the person in real life...

Amanda

214red said:
we did kind of grill you about that didnt we:)

okay i am not pulling cards on this topic because it doesnt need any, what it is a discussion about how we are now in modern times using the cards...this is about how we use the cards consciously.

i dont beleive in doing readings on a collective in general because i dont think it gives me a clear picture or a discussion, which is what this is.

this spread is not about the pursuit of happiness, its asking us to about how we are using the cards.

LOL - it's no matter. I got a lot of private messages giving thanks for bringing it out in the open...

But, you did ask a serious question about why people see the need to replace communication with the tarot cards... and a good place to start is by thinking big. It may not apply to every single individual as to why they may do what they do, but- it'll give you a place to start thinking won't it? If people see the need to skip out on the communication they should be doing in favor of using the tarot cards, then what is lacking within them, becomes the common sense question to me. And that very well could tie back into their happiness.

To me, I think, if they would rather not communicate, but consult the cards- then why? And if they do it over and over again, why? It makes me wonder what they are afraid of... it could be showing their weakness to another person, afraid of the response they may receive, the need to be 'prepared' for the worst by the tarot cards first if they do end up deciding to communicate... it could be a need to have an advantage over another person by having an idea as to how they will respond. But that is the problem isn't it...? Because as humans, we are always concerned about others and how they behave or will behave (I know I'm guilty of that one) and put less emphasis on how we will handle ourselves and react.

When people think they can control a situation, they usually think of control in a more proactive regard. Meaning they call the shots or tell or imply how someone should behave or how the situation should be handled- but not many think of reactively controlling a situation... which is what is lacking, I think, when people consult the cards over and over again on these sillier questions... they don't know how to reactively control their life circumstances, or respond to a situation they don't (or are afraid they might not) like.

That's just my line of thinking, does it make sense?

shadowdancer

I agree to an extent with the opening post, but do have heart those are in the minority.

I used to occasionally watch an interactive psychic TV channel (yeah I know, I need to get out more...lol) and would scream at times.

"Will X ring me this week?"

"Will I go to the (name the venue) this weekend"

"Did X like me after we met at the weekend"

In relation to the first one (which is a very popular question texted in) I want to scream "if you want to talk to them, ring them yourself!!"

On a more serious note it is down to maybe a misunderstanding of what the cards are about, as over the years they have become acceptable mainstream day to day tools for enlightenment. Granted this is not the same for all parts of the world I understand that. If they are not surrounded by the age old mystique, people feel more comfortable in having a reading. WIth that sense of acceptance and comfort comes things like the psychic TV channel where the readers will give an answer on absolutely anything. Thus the trend for really inanane questions being answered. In the main I think the receiver does not take it on board. They just want a reading. I think it is a very small minority who regularly ask the minor day to day questions and live by them. They have no self empowrment at all, and I am heartened to believe most of us would step in and not do these readings, but with an explanation of why.

so the issue is like a recipe in my mind:

One part ignorance of what tarot is about (by both or one of the parties)
One part not wanting to live life for themselves, wanting instead to have it decided for them.
One part the reader using tarot in a way it may not have been intended, but has taken that turn in recent years to the extent it has become the accepted norm.

Just my wee view point

Davina

just to add, I think in general face to face communication is dwindling, thanks to the texting on mobiles. I swear if we look at humankind in 2,000 years time our voice boxes will be smaller but our thumbs bigger :D :D

214red

Thanks Davina for the post, very well thought out!

when i was just about to go to sleep lastnight i was thinking, and a phrase popped out.

tarot should empower not enslave.......

gregory

214red said:

YES - and that is what bothers me about people who feel they have to consult the cards before taking any action......

214red

yes i think that is a worry.

i think you need to think about what you will do when you get the answer, so if i ask how will the party go and i get a less then glowing card, will i not go to the party, or will i let it colour my view of the party, so i manifest a bad experience? so instead i would ask, what would be the advice for me.

i am soo glad i didnt really have tarot when i was a teen (i had it but didnt really use it) i would have missed some weird times, that ultimately helped me to grow and learn, maybe i would have avoided them altogether

irisa

214red said:

Exactly how I feel.

And while I agree tarot in itself is harmless - it is all about interpretation, and the belief that because *the cards* have said it, it's destiny, it must be right, (because that's often what people really want a magical hand to guide them, that they have no control over and thus no responsibility) when actually it's just an individual interpretation.

And face to face interactions have changed - as davina says mobiles, also facebook, twitter, online gaming and dating sites it's easy to create a persona and then present that literally to the world.

It can be difficult to accept responsiblity for your own actions and their effects and to realise that you can't control what anyone else does. Maybe it just takes age and it's related experiences to get to that point and by then *what x thinks about me* is not a burning issue :D

irisa :)