2 of Cups - Where are they standing?

Margo9023

LRichard

That final sentence is fascinating (or maybe I mean frustrating). It's an evasive tactic sometimes used by Waite when matters pertain to the Tree of Life. Here is a plausible explanation, I think. The (winged) lion is the kerubic representation of Fire, and Fire is the element of the Supernal Father, Chokmah (wisdom), the 2nd Sephirah, which is the home of the Tarot deuces. Perhaps it is a subtle reminder that in spite of the femininity of the 2 of Cups (Venus in watery Cancer ruled by the Moon), the card lives in Chokmah, the Sephirah of masculine creativity.

Hi LRichard! Sorry for replying so late - long day.
This is interesting - but lost me for a little-bit. Lol! Give me more information to look at and study - this is great! : )

Richard

......This is interesting - but lost me for a little-bit......
Sometimes topics in this forum get sidetracked into more 'technical' stuff. It's fun for the 'techies' but may get into matters which, as Waite might say, 'do not concern us in this place,' which is a coded expression referring to esoteric or Qabalistic material. :)

Zephyros

Yes, LRichard is right, I wanted to post something about this before, but I forgot.

Anyway, it is important, when discussing a card, to keep in mind why it is what it is. After all, it doesn't show two people toasting each other arbitrarily but Kabbalistically, and I won't get too technical. Cups are the suit of feeling, and the Ace of Cups shows pure feeling that cannot really be defined. It is only "feeling" but not feeling anything particular. Now, Two is created as a mirror image of the One, so we have perfect feeling looking at perfect feeling, in other words, LOVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBuErkHJ9c

But still, this love is perfect and romantic and roses, but it is the Romeo and Juliet kind. Simple, immature, perhaps simplistic. It is the very idea of love, but not its desired result (the house in the distance). It does, however, have the advantage of being pure love, unblemished by anything. Nothing in the world exists for either of them but the other. It is impossible not to love it. :)

Richard

Waite says of the Two of Cups: "It is a variant of a sign which is found in a few old examples of this card." Here is an "old example" from the Grimaud Grand Etteilla. Definitely alchemical.

Attachments

• etteilla_2c.jpg
    etteilla_2c.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 154

Abrac

Great catch, definitely something there.

Margo9023

Yes, LRichard is right, I wanted to post something about this before, but I forgot.

Anyway, it is important, when discussing a card, to keep in mind why it is what it is. After all, it doesn't show two people toasting each other arbitrarily but Kabbalistically, and I won't get too technical. Cups are the suit of feeling, and the Ace of Cups shows pure feeling that cannot really be defined. It is only "feeling" but not feeling anything particular. Now, Two is created as a mirror image of the One, so we have perfect feeling looking at perfect feeling, in other words, LOVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBuErkHJ9c

But still, this love is perfect and romantic and roses, but it is the Romeo and Juliet kind. Simple, immature, perhaps simplistic. It is the very idea of love, but not its desired result (the house in the distance). It does, however, have the advantage of being pure love, unblemished by anything. Nothing in the world exists for either of them but the other. It is impossible not to love it. :)

Hi Closrapexa,
I like how you explained the 2 of Cups. I wish icould understand the words in the YouTube video. I'll have to see uf they have an English version. And I luv the Romeo and Juliet comparison. : )

Margo9023

Waite says of the Two of Cups: "It is a variant of a sign which is found in a few old examples of this card." Here is an "old example" from the Grimaud Grand Etteilla. Definitely alchemical.

Hi LRichard! I never seen this 2 of Cups. Lovely, thank you.