Waite's Second Tarot Deck - Originals Discovered

rylla

So those who have the book could you please give to the rest some information:

-are all the 22 major arcana cards' COLOR picture included in the book? are there extra cards' pictures?
-beside the pictures what would you say about the book (text)?
(what is its added value/info to the pictures?)
(or how good do you find the book/text to be?)

Thanks!

roppo

So those who have the book could you please give to the rest some information:

-are all the 22 major arcana cards' COLOR picture included in the book? are there extra cards' pictures?
-beside the pictures what would you say about the book (text)?
(what is its added value/info to the pictures?)
(or how good do you find the book/text to be?)

Thanks!

I've just received a copy and the following is my first impression.

For the first question : of 23 pictures 7 are monotoned ones.
Second : the letters are big and gentle to the old man's eyes. The biographical descriptions of Waite, Trinick etc might be a bit hard to follow if one has no background info about GD or FRC.

The binding is stout and strong. The glossy papers are of good quality.
All in all I'm quite satisfied. :)
A photo for grasping the size.

Attachments

• abidingsanct-1.jpg
    abidingsanct-1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 253

rylla

Thank you so much roppo!

roppo

You're welcome, rylla.

Well then my second impression.

The Trinick Hanged Man reminds me of Althea Gyles's "Noah's Raven" (The Dome 1898. p227). I always thought the white rose in the sea nymph's hand is of the same nature as one in the hand of RWS Fool.

Noah's Raven
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ag02.jpg

I'm wondering, without any proof, if it was possible the Trinick Tower had been first designed by W.T. Horton and later finished by Trinick. The scene is so familiar to me.

And info. In 1920 a certain Julius L. Lachner contributed an article "The problem of the Tarot Cards" to The Occult Review 1920 May issue and showed his own unique attribution of 22 trumps which started with "Tower. (Fire - Shin - Kether - The Crown)".

In the correspondence corner of the August issue J.W. Brodie Innes wrote a sort of criticism to Lachner and saying "My own studies have convinced me that there still are secret traditions and teachings which have been kept secret, and which those who know do not publish". A.E. Waite took this part as an attack to himself and wrote a replying letter to The Occult Review Nov. issue. It seems the Tarot situation of 1920 was rather active.

Anyway I have to read and think about the Trinick images more. And here I express my big thanks to Tali and Marcus.