GT 4x9 or 8x4 +4

silvereye

Hi guys, in doing the GT which of the above formula do you use more often and what do you think the differences are? Im reading Learning Lenormand and it seems to refer to both layout. I'm considering purchasing a GT spread cloth so want to buy one with the houses in a layout that I will use more frequently.

Amanaki

Hi Silvereye

When i do the GT i use 8x4 +4

I dont know if it is a very big difference in those two but i learned my GT from Rana Georges book and since then i have been using 8x4 +4 :)

Amanaki

Village Witch

I learned from Rana George's book also and so have been using the 8x4 spread. I like the idea of the four cards at the end being a "special message" of sorts.

What I don't like about the 8x4 is not using the last four cards when using a mirroring technique.

I rather think I will give the 9x4 a chance and see how it works for me.

silvereye

I ordered the Rana george book too. So the book doesn't use 9x4? If so I should perhaps order 8x4+4.
Im really looking forward to the book!

Village Witch

I ordered the Rana george book too. So the book doesn't use 9x4? If so I should perhaps order 8x4+4. Im really looking forward to the book!

Personally I would wait till you get the book and see how you like the 8x4. I don't always pay attention to the houses in a GT, but I keep a copy of a house layout from Rana's book handy for when I do.

I am wondering how big the cards on a house cloth layout are. I would not want to have to keep turning over the cards to see what is underneath. Using a copy of a house layout works great for me.

Mystic Christina

Layout Cloth for 8x4+4

Hi ... I see this is an old thread, but just incase anyone reads this... I started making my own layout spread cloths because I couldn't find a nice one without spending a bunch of money. If anyone is interested pls contact me or just do a search on eBay or etsy to find my cloth. I am using the name Mystic62x on eBay and MysticalStuff on etsy. I was using a shower curtain with the houses marked with a sharpie. While that worked fine I wanted something softer and pretty. I love learning these wonderful cards and having a lot of fun each day to see what they will tell me. I definitely need more practice though...

Teheuti

4x8+4 - because that's how the original instructions say to do it. The 4x9 feels more mechanical. But this is truly only personal preference. I do use a 4x9 in special cases (way too complicated to go into here).

ThtDancerGuy

Hi guys, in doing the GT which of the above formula do you use more often and what do you think the differences are? Im reading Learning Lenormand and it seems to refer to both layout. I'm considering purchasing a GT spread cloth so want to buy one with the houses in a layout that I will use more frequently.

Hi silvereye,

Personally, and from reading Rana George's exceptional book The Essential Lenormand, I use the 8x4+4 Grand Tableau layout because I like that it's more shapely than the 9x4, at least in my opinion. I also love the idea of the last row of 4 cards that can be used for so many different purposes: it's often intended to act as advice or "fate" cards at the end of a reading, though I like to sometimes use them as what my sitter needs to know about where they are in their life right now. Rana George in her book also explains a personal technique of hers called "Crowning" where the last 4 cards are left unturned and off to the side, at the end of the reading to be placed over 4 other cards in the GT to give more info about those certain energies or situations (read as a combination of the Crowning card and the card under it, and the house in which the two cards are in).

celticnoodle

I have yet to buy or make a layout spread on cloth--(thought about making a nice wooden one that I could use on my table though)--but I do use the 8x4 + 4, and like many have already posted here, I use that layout because, I also am learning from Rana's book The Essential Lenormand. Plus, like ThtDancerGuy mentioned, I also like the idea of the last 4 cards being the advice/fate cards. I feel it adds a certain specialness to the reading.

I'm also still learning, and haven't really begun doing the 'extra' things such as mirroring or knighting or anything. I want to just get the cards down first before going to that degree. Though I am interested in now incorporating the crowning technique that Rana teaches in her book, as also mentioned by ThtDancerGuy.

I know that Ciro Marchetti offers some GORGEOUS reading cloths from his site here:http://www.ciromarchetti.com/#!lenormand/c11am

but, they are still a bit pricier then I wanted to spend for a reading cloth. However, they are really gorgeous and I like to go to his site and look at them and dream! :D

You can find a host of Lenormand reading cloths from pinterest (how I found Ciro's & others too) and some are much more affordable. I haven't yet looked on etsy myself.

claudiamn

8x4+4 - Many years ago an aunt of mine gave me the cards, which are now crumpled, and thought me only this technique. I never knew of another until I joined the community.
As far as I can see from the books by Rana George, Andy Boroveshengra, and others, they also use the same technique.