Most Elevated Planet in Chart

PentQueen

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit of a newbie to charts, and I was just told that my Moon is my most elevated planet. I'm wondering, first off, what the most elevated planet symbolizes? And how an elevated Moon would express itself? I'm very interested to know more about this aspect of the chart!

Minderwiz

The most elevated planet is the planet nearest the degree of the MC, Ideally it should be in the tenth house or just across in the ninth House but it could fall in any house, even below the horizon, if all your planets lie in houses 1 to 7 inclusive.

Modern theory takes the most elevated planet to have special importance for tenth house matters - career, social status and social action. It is therefore where you are most noticeable to others.

It will be stronger in a chart if it actually rules the MC, or aspects it. You should also check its aspects to other planets to see how it interacts with them.

I don't particularly pay attention to the most elevated planet, mainly because elevation is not, of itself, an indication of strength. If the planet is in the tenth then it already has strength by being angular, which is a much more reliable indicator. If it were in the eighth it's weakly placed in the chart. The same would be true if it lay in the twelfth house. House placement can be more easily evaluated. There are other conditions that affect how we evaluate a planet; it's placement by sign, its phase position relative to the Sun (for example if it's Retrograde, it is weakened), its aspects to generally favourable planets like Venus and Jupiter or its aspects to generally difficult planets, such as Mars and Saturn.

Barleywine

I have a "classic" elevated-planet setup, with Mars in Virgo in the 10th House and conjunct the MC within 5 degrees. Mars is also peregrine, and I can say fairly that I had a great deal of organizational freedom in my career, operating for many years in an "entrepreneurial" capacity where I created, proceduralized, staffed and managed several new departments within my medium-technology company. It all "went South" (literally) when a large Southern company bought mine and I was moved out of my managerial role. It was during a combined Mars Return/Saturn Return year.

PentQueen

Thanks for the helpful responses! Mine is actually in the 9th house, and apparently right on top of my MC. I'm wondering if the Moon would relate to confusion or perhaps creativity, or some type of illusion here? I'm open to any opinions! I'm very eager to understand the most elevated planet! I'm confused about mine being in the 9th, and if that even relates to my career because of where it's situated....

Minderwiz

Thanks for the helpful responses! Mine is actually in the 9th house, and apparently right on top of my MC. I'm wondering if the Moon would relate to confusion or perhaps creativity, or some type of illusion here? I'm open to any opinions! I'm very eager to understand the most elevated planet! I'm confused about mine being in the 9th, and if that even relates to my career because of where it's situated....

What house system are you using? The MC can only be in the ninth if you're using Whole Sign Houses or Equal Houses. Quadrant systems such as Placidus, have the MC as the cusp of the tenth house. Hellenistic Astrologers who did use Whole Sign Houses would have treated the MC in the ninth as indicating a career in a ninth house area - the law, higher education, religion, travel and some form of prophecy - for example Astrology or possibly Tarot (though I tend to see that as third house).

It would help if you can post your natal details, soI can look at your chart.

The Moon can indicate changeability, as can Mercury and shifting position can be confusing. Modern Astrologers would say that confusion was attributed to Neptune.

PentQueen

Thanks Minderwiz!

I PM'd you my details. I DO work in higher education, and I would like to be a professional astrologer (and possibly tarot reader, though I prefer astrology since it's less personal IMO) someday. I have a lot to learn about astrology, but I feel it would be a good fit for me :). I'd actually like to mix astrology with higher education, that's the big dream!

PQ

Minderwiz

Thanks PQ, I've got them! It's going to be tomorrow before I can do much in terms of looking at the chart, then Tuesday is largely out because my wife is having a cataract operation.

PentQueen

Thanks PQ, I've got them! It's going to be tomorrow before I can do much in terms of looking at the chart, then Tuesday is largely out because my wife is having a cataract operation.

No problem! Thank you for looking and no rush at all! I hope the operation goes well!

Minderwiz

The operation seems to have gone well.

Yes, the Moon is indeed conjunct your MC' both lie at 11 degrees Taurus. which is the tenth sign from the Ascendant. The Moon is exalted in Taurus, and is also in it's own Decan. This means that the Moon is as strong as Venus in Taurus. It's also placed in the second strongest place in the chart. Only being placed in the Ascendant would make it stronger. The Moon also squares Venus, so it has contact with its ruler. Venus is placed in the Seventh House just below the Descendant (I use Whole Sign Houses).

Interestingly The Sun had just set and that gives you a nocturnal chart, which is ruled by the Moon. Your Ascendant is Leo, so the Sun is the Lord of your Ascendant. and one of the most powerful planets in your chart (second only to the Moon), as being placed on the Ascendant/Descendant axis is nearly as good as that Moon conjunct the MC position. Both parts of your life look to be good. Venus ruling the first part and the Moon itself the second. Venus is the most benefic planet in a night chart and placed in the Seventh, it suggest that marriage or long term relationship is the thing that is likely to make you happiest.

The main fly in the ointment is that the Moon rules Cancer, which is your twelfth house, a house associated with enemies, I don't know if you have any problems with enemies in a work environment. They could well be other female employees, if and when they manifest.

The Moon connected to career, suggests many occupations, which is what you are talking about in your post. The Moon is associated with instincts and reactions, which is good qualities for activities connected to divination.

Your Lot of Spirit lies in Gemini in the eleventh house. This Lot gives some indication as to how you are able to influence the world around you through your own actions. It has come to be associated with career. So any Mercurial occupation, such as writing, and according to Rhetorius, the Egyptian Astrologer, Mercur also signifies being a a soothsayer or an Astrologer. that suggests that you might well achieve your career objective.

The Moon is in a sextile aspect to Mercury, so it should provide the support that Mercury needs to achieve the career. Unfortunately Mercury is poorly placed in the chart, being in the eighth house of Pisces, whichi is it's Detriment and Fall. That suggests that you will have to work hard to keep on track. But Mercury rules the eleventh house of Gemini, and the eleventh is the house of hopes and aspirations, so keep at it.

PentQueen

The operation seems to have gone well.

Yes, the Moon is indeed conjunct your MC' both lie at 11 degrees Taurus. which is the tenth sign from the Ascendant. The Moon is exalted in Taurus, and is also in it's own Decan. This means that the Moon is as strong as Venus in Taurus. It's also placed in the second strongest place in the chart. Only being placed in the Ascendant would make it stronger. The Moon also squares Venus, so it has contact with its ruler. Venus is placed in the Seventh House just below the Descendant (I use Whole Sign Houses).

Interestingly The Sun had just set and that gives you a nocturnal chart, which is ruled by the Moon. Your Ascendant is Leo, so the Sun is the Lord of your Ascendant. and one of the most powerful planets in your chart (second only to the Moon), as being placed on the Ascendant/Descendant axis is nearly as good as that Moon conjunct the MC position. Both parts of your life look to be good. Venus ruling the first part and the Moon itself the second. Venus is the most benefic planet in a night chart and placed in the Seventh, it suggest that marriage or long term relationship is the thing that is likely to make you happiest.

The main fly in the ointment is that the Moon rules Cancer, which is your twelfth house, a house associated with enemies, I don't know if you have any problems with enemies in a work environment. They could well be other female employees, if and when they manifest.

The Moon connected to career, suggests many occupations, which is what you are talking about in your post. The Moon is associated with instincts and reactions, which is good qualities for activities connected to divination.

Your Lot of Spirit lies in Gemini in the eleventh house. This Lot gives some indication as to how you are able to influence the world around you through your own actions. It has come to be associated with career. So any Mercurial occupation, such as writing, and according to Rhetorius, the Egyptian Astrologer, Mercur also signifies being a a soothsayer or an Astrologer. that suggests that you might well achieve your career objective.

The Moon is in a sextile aspect to Mercury, so it should provide the support that Mercury needs to achieve the career. Unfortunately Mercury is poorly placed in the chart, being in the eighth house of Pisces, whichi is it's Detriment and Fall. That suggests that you will have to work hard to keep on track. But Mercury rules the eleventh house of Gemini, and the eleventh is the house of hopes and aspirations, so keep at it.

Wow! You are good! This is so accurate, even down to the female enemies at work (some of the worst have been male though)! And yes, I've had many careers already, and I'm still young and want to do many more things in the future. But I do have a lean towards astrology and divination, yes :). I have also worked as a writer before, and I do long to write songs one day. Do you mind if I ask what 'lot of spirit' is?

And I wonder if Mercury in Pisces is actually a good placement for astrology and divination? I do understand that it's in its detriment there, because Mercury likes to be mentally organized, however I can only think that this ethereal placement (Pisces, and the 8th house!) would make it easier to access divine knowledge? I'm wondering your thoughts on this! One of my most psychic friends has this placement as well, and I often wonder if it's all that bad!

I also wanted to add that I'm incredibly nocturnal, haha! My partner can't stand it, since he is the opposite. And yes, I'm very ruled by my intuition...finding out that the moon is so strong for me makes a ton of sense. Oh and you're also right about the desire for partnership. I've never been single, and I have a deep need for close partnerships, even (and especially) with friends. I have yet to find anyone who desires the same kind of closeness that I want.

This was a fascinating read! I realize I have so much to learn about astrology!

I'm very thankful for the interpretation and glad to hear your wife's operation went well :).