RwS : Strategic Stickers

Fulgour

For now perhaps they are only in your mind's eye,
and it may be only through the magic of paintbox
that one should first attempt their obliteration...
To me the real question will always be, why all the
titivations and folderoll, when of all the cards
She best awaits, as she must, inviably solitary.

Vincent

Re: Re: The Vieville was a Belgian Deck...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1329 First appearance of the Tarot in Germany.

1377-79 The Tarot Cards first mentioned in chronicles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diana said:

May they rest in peace.

[/b]

Fascinating. :)

I think we're in the wrong forum here. [/B]

I don't think there is a forum for Tarot "Fantasies put forward as Truth", is there?.

The Tarot did not appear in Germany in 1329.

"The tarot originated in northern Italy early in the 15th century (1420-1440). There is no evidence for it originating in any other time or place."
TarotL Tarot History information sheet.
http://www.tarothermit.com/infosheet.htm

The first mention of Tarot was not 1377-79.

It was Ferrara, Italy, in 1442.

http://www.geocities.com/autorbis/ferrara1442.html

Of course, it may be that there are references these historians have overlooked, and I'm sure they would be delighted to have new sources of information, if they exist.

Vincent

Fulgour

ein voot mosca liber

Vincent said:
The first mention of Tarot was not 1377-79.
I am pretty sure this is right, because they talked about ein schtickenfelders
for two whole years, and it led to the first stapled edition of a little white book.

Diana

Re: Re: Re: The Vieville was a Belgian Deck...

Vincent said:
quote:
I don't think there is a forum for Tarot "Fantasies put forward as Truth", is there?.

(................)Of course, it may be that there are references these historians have overlooked, and I'm sure they would be delighted to have new sources of information, if they exist.

Vincent: You have such a delightful way of putting things. Never a trace of sarcasm in any of your posts, is there? :)

My favourite History teacher at school (there weren't many - most of them were fools) told me privately once after class that any History we learn is just one version of the past. (He told me this privately because I lived in a fascist country where it was wise to watch one's words.) He told me to always take History with a pinch of salt. He was passionate about History - when he spoke, you could hear a pin drop.

Of course, when Historians talk about Tarot... they talk about TAROT CARDS, and the first traces of these in written DOCUMENTS. Historians love Written Documents.

Tarot pre-dates the Tarot Cards that these Historians have found traces of in their Written Documents.

You can find traces of the Tarot in cathedrals, for example. (Just one example).

Fulgour

Plotinus VI

The learned of the Egyptians, when they wanted to signify to us the
mysteries of wisdom, appear to me not to have used figures significant
of letters, but rather by describing and painting the images of things in
their sacred concerns, to have visually signified the discursive energy
of the thing itself.

paraphrased

Vincent

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Vieville was a Belgian Deck...

Diana said:
Vincent: You have such a delightful way of putting things. Never a trace of sarcasm in any of your posts, is there? :)

Never. Never ever ever.

Diana said:

My favourite History teacher at school (there weren't many - most of them were fools) told me privately once after class that any History we learn is just one version of the past. (He told me this privately because I lived in a fascist country where it was wise to watch one's words.) He told me to always take History with a pinch of salt. He was passionate about History - when he spoke, you could hear a pin drop.

Of course, when Historians talk about Tarot... they talk about TAROT CARDS, and the first traces of these in written DOCUMENTS. Historians love Written Documents.

Tarot pre-dates the Tarot Cards that these Historians have found traces of in their Written Documents.

You can find traces of the Tarot in cathedrals, for example. (Just one example).

Generally, I agree with what you say, concerning history and the influences on Tarot.

Specifically, concerning the earliest date when Tarot cards are mentioned, I don't see how subjectivity enters into it. People may argue over who killed JFK, and why, but when historians report that he died in 1963, there wouldn't appear to be much room for subjectivity... umm.. er... would there? (I'm not up with all the conspiracy theories)

The earliest document known, is, quite simply, the earliest document known. There may be, or may have been, a document which mentions Tarot earlier, but it is, as yet, unknown.

Vincent

Penelope

re-ally

Stickers are fun, and economical.

:laugh:

firemaiden

I get it Fulgour... your stickers are there to reverse the deviations from the Marseilles on the RWS deck.

I think there might be a market there for your amended deck. Diana would buy one, no? or would we have to put full card-size stickers over all the pip illustrations?

Rusty Neon

Firemaiden,

If the Rider deck is to be retro-fitted to conform to the Marseilles, some other renovations might be needed as well, e.g.:

(1) Making the Rider Magician look a little less like a ceremonial magician and a bit more like a mountebank.

(2) Doing drastic surgery on the Rider Lovers [sic] card.

(3) Those pentacles may have to go.

(4) Various Golden Dawn symbolism and iconography would have to go.

Caveat: This is all personal opinion only.

firemaiden

hahah, RN. I like your word "retro-fitted".

Well, perhaps it could be a new product altogether. A sort of hybrid?