Tarot in Movies

WolfyJames

SphinYote said:
Witches Tarot?

Not the 007 Tarot of the Witches but the other one by I think Ellen Cannon Reed? I believe it has a back like that and you can find it here to se the pictures...

Looks similar but can't say for sure. Thanks!

Tabby

Monster In Law

I just watched a preview of Monster-in-Law with Jane Fonda and JLO. On the previews they were saying something "Was it in the Cards" and they showed a tarot deck. I didn't catch which one it was because it went by too quickly. But, another movie to see and to see how much tarot is in it.

Strange2

StormsNeverLast said:
I just watched a preview of Monster-in-Law with Jane Fonda and JLO. On the previews they were saying something "Was it in the Cards" and they showed a tarot deck. I didn't catch which one it was because it went by too quickly. But, another movie to see and to see how much tarot is in it.

I noticed that too, and the deck looked a bit like the Stairs of Gold Tarot by Taviglione.

Sinistar_Phoenix

Tarot in movies

Yeah! *Raises hand and jumps up and down* I have a Japanese video game(Crap, its not a movie, but close) and there is a character named Luna who reads Tarot cards. The game is called Bust a Move 99, and her moves are... Cool. She has a crystal ball that floats between her hands, and it plays in with her emotions, whether or not she wins or loses... Her introduction consists of Tarot cards appearing on screen in a specific spread.

And, when she makes a good hit, her crystal ball will float above her head, she'll levitate, and a Tarot card will appear in the background. She is awesome, hands down. *Puts hands down, still not sure of the saying*

SINISTAR PHOENIXXX

augursWell

Marindahl said:
Nightmare Alley (1947) is another film with tarot in it. As I recall, Joan Blondell does a reading in the middle of her scheming with Tyrone Power. The Hanged Man turns up--the card for her drunken husband Pete. The Hanged Man falls on the floor, so apparently that means Pete is about to die.

There's all performers at the carnival, so maybe it's not so much of a surprise.
Isn't that the movie where she pronounces "Tarot" like "tear" "rot" as in something rotten? There was a point in my life where I was lucky enough to stay up and watch old, classic, movies all of the time. That movie was one of my favorites for some reason that I can't recall. I'll have to see if I can rent that one.

Marindahl

Quote:
Isn't that the movie where she pronounces "Tarot" like "tear" "rot" as in something rotten? There was a point in my life where I was lucky enough to stay up and watch old, classic, movies all of the time. That movie was one of my favorites for some reason that I can't recall. I'll have to see if I can rent that one.

Maybe, but I'm not sure. The only other thing I remember clearly about the film is that Tyrone Power ends up biting the heads off chickens at the freak show in exchange for "a bottle a day and a place to sleep it off". Awesome.

Mabuse

Nightmare Alley (1947)

Thank you!
I should look that title up. I was looking for someone to mention a movie older than Touch of Evil (1958) which mentioned Tarot or depicted Tarot cards.

augursWell

It doesn't look like Netflix has Nightmare Alley on DVD so I'm not sure where I'll be able to see it again. Turner Classic Movies on cable may be the only place it might show up as it is now probably owned by Turner.

Ukkonen

more cards in the movies!

Thought to join in and share this with you guys: there's a french movie entitled "Cleo de 5 a 7" which is translated in english (if I remember right) surprisingly "Cleo from 5 to 7" and comes from the sixties..I think. The strange thing about this movie is that while the rest of the film is B&W the beginning chapter - which introduces the main character "Cleo", a young woman, goin to a reading - is entirely in colours. So first we have the reading in colours and then to B&W for the rest of the movie. An old woman does the reading and she uses two kinds of cards: first she does a "square" with LeNormand -style deck, and then she moves to a traditional Marseilles deck to do a "row". If I remember right, no Death-card appears ("what..?" ;-) We do have the Hanged Man, however. The reading leaves Cleo very unhappy, but luckily everything turns out quite nice in the end. it's just so funny that the beginning is coloured and the rest is not! Maybe they ran out of cash...
Then there's of course the X-files episode which uses the Tarot of the Witches deck. That was quite an accurate reading if I recall...unfortunate for the reader, though...
And even one more: a film about Isadora Duncan features RWS.
*that's all folks!

Emeraldgirl

Ok they don't use tarot ib the movie but I can't watch Stepford Wive's without thinking of the Housewives Tarot. They go together very well.