Old Deck, not sure what they are!!

*fancyfairy*

Hello
i need to pull on you advice and wisdom.
i have been given an old (about 50 years old) 'tarot' card deck by my now departed grandmother.

it doesnt look like normal tarot cards though, as it has number cards like playing cards from one too 10 in each suit (clubs/hearts/spades/diamonds) then picture card for c/v/d/r in each suit, then a completely different set with picture cards with the numbers 1 to 21 on. the pictures are very arty with scenes of everyday life, but 2 scenes on each card one upside down

any ideas as i would love to use them just dont know how!!!

rwcarter

fancyfairy,

Welcome to Aeclectic!

Sounds like you have a tarrocchi/tarrock deck, which can be used for divination, but is more often used for playing the game of Tarot.

HTH,
Rodney

*fancyfairy*

is this good? i have googled the name but no luck?
sorry very new to this so not sure about the lingo!

The crowned one

Look up B.P.GRIMAUD and TAROCCHI together ;)

Attachments

• grim.jpg
    grim.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 201

Promise

As Rodney said, it sounds like you have a set that was designed for the GAME of Tarot and not necessarily for divination or "fortune telling". A quick Google of "tarrochi cards" or "tarrochi game" should give you a fair bit of useful information.

And welcome to AT!

*fancyfairy*

oh thank you for the pic crowded one, thats them exactly!

so if i am to learn tarot card reading this isnt for me, no wonder i get a funny feeling from them when ive tried in the past, like im wasting my time!!

so for beginners any tips?

cardlady22

www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

Melanchollic has been giving an incredible series for learning to read the Marseille(s) decks, which is cool because their pips do not have picture scenes. You might try looking at the meanings he gives. (He does incredible diagrams to illustrate his points!) It does involve memorization, but I started with regular playing cards, so it didn't seem hard or off to me.

The "game decks" I have are
Tarocco degli Animali (Menegazzi)
Tarot de la Nature (France Cartes)

ETA: If you want to look for other decks, try browsing by theme
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/themes.shtml
Trust the ratings and go with at least 4 stars for your first couple of decks! The art styles vary widely and attract different people, so go with what jumps out at you.