"One Deck Wonder" Query

Alamaris

I've been parusing the forum daily for the last few weeks, and I've heard mixed reviews about the One Deck Wonder challenge/project that people take up. I'm vaguely interested in doing it so I can learn better and get more attached to my decks instead of hopping around from one to the other like a frog on steroids.

I've got some issues, however. ;) One of those, probably the biggest hurdle, is my mild-to-moderate Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). To give an example of how mine manifests: I can't not read less than 5-10 books at once. I have to change the placing of furniture in my room every month or so. If I'm not constantly doing something with my hands -- even if its just twiddling my fingers or playing with a pen -- I have horrible anxiety attacks. (This unfortunately combines with my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, resulting in more panic and discomfort if my "routines" are broken or, for example, if I can't move my hands for 60 seconds. Ain't I a lucky girl?)

You can see how this might interfere with the requirements of One Deck Wonder! [laughs]

So the pros, obviously, are getting to know my decks better in the long run and teaching myself discipline. The cons definately include the possibility of pushing my borders too far... I have a tendancy to lay massive guilt on myself if I don't finish a project I've started, so I feel like I want to know if I can do this before I set out. I'm no stranger to challenging myself if I believe I CAN do it... I wrote 50,000 words last November for a writing challenge and am doing 75,000 words this November for the same. (Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org if you're curious.)

I'm also perplexed as to which deck would be the best to use. (I have my 13 decks, all listed in my profile, for those who might want to offer suggestions...) I've heard some decks are better than others, but I can't seem to locate where it was mentioned in any of the One Deck Wonder threads.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm curious about the idea and I'd be interested in trying it if it wasn't for my personal challenges. Would it be better to push my boundaries, or is it safer to be gentler on myself until I have more control of my condition? The ADD has gotten better lately, by small steps, so I'm hoping it'll resolve itself as I mature.

I feel very connected to each one of my decks, in a different way, and using just one sounds daunting. I anthromorphize decks (and other inanimate objects) a great deal; each one has its own "personality", so to speak, so I'd compare it to the idea of only talking to one friend for 6 months.

Anyone got advice for a floundering newbie? :D

Umbrae

Trimmed Thoth.

And just 60 days. Don't try to push it.

and enjoy it!

Alamaris

What, does no one want to contradict the mighty Umbrae? [laughs]

Wonderful suggestion, Umbrae dear... I'll definately consider my trimmed Thoth for starting the One Deck Wonder, probably in December. Thanks so much! ;)

Silaria

If your OCD/ADHD is bad enough that you need to reorganize the furniture on a regular basis you may want to sent a slightly different goal so as not to set yourself up for failure. (I have a friend who is OCD/ADHD and he has to be doing 5 things at once to stay sane.)

If 60 days sounds like it might be too much, try going a week at a time. If the first week go well, move into the 2nd week with the same deck. If the urge to change decks is so strong it is causing a panic attack (and this isn't about making yourself upset it's about learning) then switch to a different deck for a week. Try to build up to the 60 days one week at a time.

You are right, this will teach you self-control and may help you find a way to control the panic attacks if your 'routine' is broken; especially since life tends to throw interesting curve balls at us that do just that.

Is this following the One Deck Wonder challenge to the letter? No, but it is you setting yourself up to succeed instead of feeling guilty for failing.

Alamaris

Silaria, thank you! I can't believe I didn't think of something like that... I suppose I was just so caught up in, like you said, following the challenge to the letter, that I didn't think of tailoring the concept.

I'll definately be doing this now, perhaps even beginnng this month. (Gonna be a hectic November anyways, so maybe I need some routine to keep the balance.)

Thanks again, both of you! ♥

Silaria

Alamaris said:
I suppose I was just so caught up in, like you said, following the challenge to the letter, that I didn't think of tailoring the concept.

LOL! That sounds like the OCD shining through. :D

Glad I could help. Please let us know how it goes!

Miren

I think Similia's got great advice. As for decks, I think the VR is beautiful, if I had it I'd want to get to know it better! :)

Your post makes me think--should there be some kind of NaOneDeckMo? That might be fun. Of course, I read pretty much exclusively with the Gilded, so I'd be cheating anyway. :p ;)

Rosanne

Here's a suggestion. Divide the deck of choice into sections. Majors/Courts/suits by four groups, or two say Cups and Batons/ Swords and Coins. Do mini readings withing each group. Thanks for the honest explanation of your dilemma.
~Rosanne

Alamaris

Miren said:
I think Similia's got great advice. As for decks, I think the VR is beautiful, if I had it I'd want to get to know it better! :)

Your post makes me think--should there be some kind of NaOneDeckMo? That might be fun. Of course, I read pretty much exclusively with the Gilded, so I'd be cheating anyway. :p ;)

I think if I had to list the few decks I'd be most intreigued doing this project with, the VR would be right up there. (That and the trimmed Thoth, the Lunatic, the Dragons, and the UFO.) Its such a gorgeous deck! I had such major misgivings about it at first, but I'm so happy with it now.

I think NaOneDeckMo is a great idea! :D What you could do is use a different deck for the challenge. :p It'd be an awesome thing to do... maybe we should set something up? It'd appeal to the people who think 78 days or 6 months is too long to spend with one deck. (I wonder; would it go in the Tarot Study Groups, or the Talking Tarot?) It could even expand into a year-long project, with some thought. If you have more than 12 decks, pick 12 and use one a month for a year. Less than 12 decks, use one per month or a new one every two months, until you've done them all.

/end curious rambling

Cerulean

Try the Comparative Tarot, four decks in one

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/comparative/

And the fifth thing is buy Valerie Sims' Tarot Outside the Box and you can still do five things at once.

I usually alternate my deck studies and books. I use separate book bags and usually put at least two decks that I 'match' together and so, I'm always comparing at least two or three decks.

Even if I have one deck, I may sketch, look at related references in either art or art theme, analyze the colors or be reading a book of that historical period or whatever...if nothing else, a journal with all the different experiments you can do with such a deck could be a personal lab book. And it doesn't matter if you write a poem, do a sketch, color study, or throw in another deck for comparison--one deck might just be the 'cornerstone' or central hub of a tarot study wheel with different interest spokes. Remember every tarot has 78 cards, so doing five different things related to each card might be an interesting task.

Another idea is the Revelations Tarot that has upright and reversed images or the Tarot of the Secret Forest with color on one side and black/white on the other. Hope this give you a variety.

Best regards,

Cerulean