Elemental Modifiers in Physical Terms

Barleywine

In the Book of Thoth, under the section on the court cards titled "General Characteristics of the Four Dignitaries," Aleister Crowley made a few general observations about the elemental nature of the Knights (Fire) and their expression in each of the four elemental suits ( Fiery energy as Lightning flash; Rain and Springs; Wind and Mountains respectively). Then it seems like he got bored with it and went on his way with a dismissive wave of the hand: "It is very important as a mental exercise to work out for oneself these correspondences between the Symbols and the Natural Forces which they represent."

In pursuing an understanding of Elemental Dignities in combination, I began using a few metaphorical expressions similar to the above: Fire and Water can produce steam or evaporation, depending on the proportion of each; Fire and Earth can create drought and desertification; Water and Earth can yield arable soil or mud. I figured it would be an interesting project to work all the way through the combinations, which resulted in the attached table. Note also that this table has a Northern Hemisphere bias, before anyone brings it up.

This effort is presently far from comprehensive, and I would like to tap the fertile imaginations of AT members to help me round it out. Each of the entries gives a few examples of my train of thought. If some of the planetary correspondences seem odd, take a look at the notes; there is a reason for each of their attributions.

I'll post the final version of the table here. Thanks for any input you'd care to give.

ETA: I see at least one error. I'll fix and repost the attachment.

Attachments

• Elemental Modifiers in Physical Terms.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 288

Barleywine

I found another quote in the Book of Thoth that amplifies Crowley's previous comments:

"It is essential for the Student to trace this doctrine for himself in every symbol: Air, the elastic and flexible, yet all-pervading and the element of combustion; Water, fluid yet uncompressible, the most neutral and composed of all components of living matter, yet destructive of even the hardest rocks by physical assault, and irresistible in its burning power of solution; and Fire, so kin to Spirit that it is not a substance at all, but a phenomenon, yet so integral to Matter that it is the very heart and essence of all things soever."

The concept "Earth of Earth" he relates to the hexagram Kan, meaning "mountain" and simply signifying "rest."

foolMoon

Excellent studies and information, Barleywine. Will print it out, and add into my Thoth study folder. Thanks.