Thoth-like decks.... which ones do you like?

Cerulean

Ahhh!

How marvelously pretty these decks look when compared side by side. The Gill looks even more energetic and lovely.

Cerulean

darwinia

I love the text and titling on the Magickal and its illustrative style. Rats, the ones I like are always OOP.

Cerulean

I am having fun with this page...

and my opinion only, but I see Thothlike reflections in my favored Ananda Tarot, a little closer than my 'earth-culture-based' Haindl and 'native' Vision Quest. But perhaps because I favor some of the styles in Thoth-influenced decks, it's a reflection of my preferences.

BTW, once I begin talking about the Ananda, I have a hard time hushing, so that might be a separate thread.

Regards,

Cerulean

lelandra

Ananda Deck

Well, I don't have that deck, so I'd have to judge based on the few cards I can see in online reviews. There are some Thoth-inspired elements - the meditative Chariot, for instance, but from the few cards I've seen, I just don't have enough data... I'm not convinced either way. The astrological correspondences quoted in one review I saw work against it being a Thoth variant, but rejecting Crowley's correspondences is not enough to take it out of contention.
I know some people think any deck that has a Knight Queen Prince Princess deck is a Thoth variant, and some people think that any deck with emotive Marseilles-style pips is a Thoth variant, but these aren't my metrics...
I haven't codified it down to a point system yet (as I have done for Rider-Waite variants), but I'm looking for a balance of Majors, Courts and Minors. The cards I show on my webpage include my hallmark cards, especially Temperance (Art) / Judgment (Aeon), Knight/Prince, and the Six of Swords - I'd love to see scans of those for the Ananda.

On its own strength though, I'm probably going to have to put this deck on my wishlist... I just can't resist decks with landscape pips!

(So my wallet says - Thanks a lot for mentioning yet another deck I need to get!!!)

Lelandra
(Joan Cole)

Parzival

Thoth-like decks

Lelandra, what a gallery of Tarot Art you have put together. All your effort , and all the efforts of the artists and conceptualists.Thanks.
I really like seeing Via included , a work I'm more and more appreciating as a whole. Its courts are beautiful and meaningful. One of the best Thoth derivatives.

Cerulean

Just fyi about cross-enabling!

1. Twelve cards from the Ananda:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ot+pictures&h<br />l=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

2. Via in Thoth comparison

I adored the deck and still adore the courts.

I took the Via to a Thoth lecture while Lon Duquette was talking...I was sad not to see the same storyline of the Alchemical Marriage from the Thoth majors in ways that I could recognize in the Via. Of course the deck is not a clone of Thoth and perhaps it was a bit of my mood while Lon is talking with that lovely old Thothy enchantment -- I'm kidding of course. The Via is artistically incredible to me.

3. A new old find because of Lelandra's wonderful webpage--Word of One by John Starre Cook. Jeannette at tarotgarden.com said all four copies of her Book T was scooped up but we can still obtain the 1992 edition with the 79 cards, plus the additional two sets of 22 majors in their funky and fresh designs...

I better also go reserve an English language Ananda while they're still in stock...

Thanks for your lovely pages...

Regards

Cerulean Mari

rachelcat

Poor Tarot of the Sephiroth

This was my favorite deck until I got my Cosmic Tribe. (Which I have fallen in love with, especially after I compared it card-by-card with Thoth.) And Liber T is on its way, so T of S might be bumped to third place! It seems to get similar short shrift on this thread. I really like the idea of having the paths literally on the cards. It has made my study much, much easier. And the courts are just too fun! Watch out for those kings. They are SERIOUS. Definitely not men to be f***ed with! Some majors are problematic, though. Moses as the Hermit??!! Really doesn't work for me!

What do you think about this deck?

Hermgirl

I wanted to comment on the Liber T deck, which is the only one of the decks mentioned that I have (and I think it was Lelandra's site that helped me decide that I wanted that deck, thanks for making that available to us.)

This deck is almost a Thoth "clone", and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to utilize Thoth tarot symbolism & philosophy in their study, but wanted something with a little less *severe* artwork.

Where it stops short of being a clone is in the pips, which, unlike the original, have (very Navigators of the Mystic Sea-ish) surrealistic illustrations of science-fictiony, amorphous kind of beings on them. Whether this affects their readability or not, I haven't decided yet, as I haven't actually tried using them yet.

Emily

The Tarot of the Spirit is a Thoth clone - I wasn't too keen on this deck when I first bought it but its a deck that does grow on you. The Rohrig is another favourite Thoth clone with a difference.

The Liber T was one deck that I watched and waited for - The online scans made it look so vibrant and intense. Its a deck that I can't use. I like the look of the Majors, very Thoth-like but I just can't get on with the Minors. I've never done a full reading with it, just to shuffle is enough. It always feels like a very negative deck - almost as if the deck creators just picked up on all the negative aspects of the Thoth and put them in the Liber T. I bought the Liber T to further my study of the Thoth and it has done just that - drove me gratefully back into the arms of my Thoth. :)