Another new voice in the Thoth group

LadyMedusa

I have been lurking in the shadows of this group for a while.

A few months ago I aquired a pocket edition of the Thoth in a trade. While I like the smaller size for portability, I found it to be a bit to busy, very difficult to really see the finer details that give this deck it's depth.

In the last month however I have had the nagging feeling it was time to try again. I found a large copy at the used bookstore. Unfortunately it was one of the greenish colored ones. I just couldn't get past the "eww" feeling. Whether it was just a reaction to the color tinge or unpleasent energy I can't say. I just knew I couldn't work with it, so back to the store it went.

Then this past week I aquired a large non-green version in a trade. What a difference between them! Not only do I not have the "eww" reaction to the color, that to busy feel has been replaced by detail that leaps off the cards.

So be ready to see some of the older threads in this group bumped back to life, I've got some catching up to do.

LadyMedusa

FraterGrant

Glad to have a new face! (Even though I myself am a new face)

CreativeFire

Lady Medusa and TaranRavenfrost - great to see some new faces join us in studying the Thoth - more the merrier! :)

I only got my deck a few months back myself, so I am going through learning all I can about this fantastic deck - I love Harris' artwork!

Hope that you both join us in the ongoing Study Group - we are only up to The Chariot in the Majors and the 3 of Wands in the Minors. So jump right in where ever. There is a 'sticky' at the top of the Thoth forum which lists the Study group threads and other threads on certain cards.

Look forward to reading your posts.

CreativeFire

Centaur

LadyMedusa said:
Then this past week I aquired a large non-green version in a trade. What a difference between them! Not only do I not have the "eww" reaction to the color, that to busy feel has been replaced by detail that leaps off the cards.

Oooooo... I am keen to get my hands on a large non-green version also. Hehe. I am currently using the standard-sized deck published by AG Muller.

Great to see some new faces. :D

Emily

Hi people,
Hi Centaur,
Amazon UK have still got the large size non-green Thoth in for £10.36 - ISBN 0-87728-452-0. Its the green box Weiser edition and compared to the lavender box one, the colours are very very similar, just as bright and clear - I was very pleased with it. Just thought I would mention it lol :)

Centaur

Emily said:
Amazon UK have still got the large size non-green Thoth in for £10.36 - ISBN 0-87728-452-0. Its the green box Weiser edition and compared to the lavender box one, the colours are very very similar, just as bright and clear - I was very pleased with it. Just thought I would mention it lol :)

Hey Emily! :D

I am seriously tempted to order it, but I had better not. I am rather short of cash at the moment. Hopefully, it will still be on offer in a few months time! Eick!

Aun

Lady Medusa,

welcome, I look forward for your posts.

Just to clarify the deck issue, the Large-green deck from US games now is, indeed, the AG Muller version printed in Belgium, with one Magus card only, and original colors. A beautiful thing!!
I just bought one :cool:

LadyMedusa

Yep, thats the one I just got. Just be sure to check the ISBN, there is still old stock left at the stores.

I've had my nose buried in the book that came in the same trade...by Banzhaf. It seems to be very informative. Does anyone else have it, and if so, what do you think about it?

LadyMedusa

CreativeFire

LadyMedusa said:
Yep, thats the one I just got. Just be sure to check the ISBN, there is still old stock left at the stores.

I've had my nose buried in the book that came in the same trade...by Banzhaf. It seems to be very informative. Does anyone else have it, and if so, what do you think about it?

LadyMedusa

LadyMedusa, I have Arkon / Banzhaf's "Handbook to the Cards", if that is the one you are referring to? As this is my only Thoth book at the moment, I don't have anything to compare it to, but it certainly is helping me understand the cards more and make sense of some of the images / symbols etc.

So I would have to say that I like it, but have to admit some of it is a bit over my head at the moment as I need to learn more about Kabbalah, Alchemy, Astrology etc at some stage no doubt. :)

CreativeFire

LadyMedusa

CreativeFire,
I'm sorry I took so long to answer, between life, reading the books and trying to check out the threads on the cards, I just plain forgot to come back to this one.
Yes, that's the book. I see in the threads you have been quoting from it. It can be a bit deep but overall I think it is a big help for me in getting a grasp on this deck.
I'm still in the phase of "this deck is so awesome I don't know where to begin." (and enjoying every moment of it) I think ss soon as I finish the book I will have an idea where to begin.

LadyMedusa