Music and Tarot

gregory

I love music and I love Tarot. They are different things in my life. I don't combine them.
Likewise. I love all music except the noise that passes for pop, post the 80s or so. I am a trained musician myself.
Before recommending *any*, I'd ask why you feel you need music when you're reading Tarot. Don't the cards fill your head up enough?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't ask why you feel you need it, but I would say that I can't bear it. I start listening to it - as I am trained to do - and there goes the reading. I actually feel it's a bit disrespectful to music to use it as background noise, essentially.
I don't think you are, at all. In fact, I think you're in a majority. But I'm not in that majority. :)
Yes. Nor am I.
I love music, but it tends to distract me. I usually listen to music before or after the reading. The only 'music' that doesn't distract me is the sounds of nature, either real-life or on CDs/radio. :)
I HATE CDs of "the sounds of nature." If I want nature I'll go outside. CDs have (if they even really did...) captured sounds made in one moment, and - well, they will never recur, and so are immediately out of place when played back on a CD. Right sound, wrong time,
Good luck to those who use music when they read. I'm not one of them. I have been known to read in front of the TV, though... Colour me weird !

FosterImagination

I love including music as a way to help me prepare, ground, focus, etc.; but, I personally try to avoid things that could impact the tone of the reading. In other words, I wouldn't feel my reading were truly accurate if influenced by the music. For me, the reading needs to be about unadulterated truth, regardless of my environment or personal mood. I would read in silence before I included something I felt was influencing the message delivered.

The music I listen to while reading varies. Currently, Buddha Lounge is at the top of my list. Always love Enigma and Enya as well....

PAMUYA

I listen to all kinds of music, use to play the french horn semi-professionally, classical is my first love, and I am a hippy from the sixties, my taste in music is just about anything.. Had my last child in my forties, still have teenagers in the house and get to hear all their music. As long as there is no screaming in it I am okay with it.

I do not actively listen to music when I read, meaning when I am reading nothing else exsists, I am not paying attention to music, lighting or anything else. I have read in noisey pubs/bars, restaurants, parks, I could not tell you if there was music playing or not. I know many who like to set the mood for their clients, but me personally, music is not a part of reading cards. I don't see any thing wrong with it, if it calms your mind and readys you for reading that's a good thing.

ravenest

Okay, first of all - 8Tracks.com is AMAZING for finding music.

I read at home 90% of the time. When I was studying a couple of months ago, I was listening to various instrumentals while writing down card meanings and interpretations. I made a playlist specifically for Tarot, and it's as much part of my readings as it is for enjoyment and ambiance.

So I decided to experiment.

Listening to different music changed the way I read. Heavy, dramatic music = more adventurous/daring readings
Solemn, sad music = more upsetting, hard truth readings
Happy go lucky = more uplifting, empowering readings.

During my studies, it was more background, studying-mellow type music that kept noises from distracting me. I noticed when I studied with that in the background, my readings are very clear and concise, straight forward.

Without music, it's very hard for me to read at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So that being all said and done - http://8tracks.com/sladiewolf/collections/tarot-listening is my playlist.

How do you feel about music and Tarot, what do you listen to? What do you find most helpful and unhelpful? (If it's got lyrics, I can't listen to it and read Tarot at the same time) What music do you recommend?

I have music for meditation on individual cards but not for readings.

for a reading I would like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NZjgiygKE ... at night, in barely lit cadlelight ... after a joint :)

here is a great Priestess card meditation music ... Maddy Prior's voice <swooon> and Mikes xylophone :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIXak7HH5ds

nisaba

If the music is good music, I start listening to it and get distracted from the reading.

If the music isn't good music, what's the point of wasting electricity playing it?

I have issues with my meditation group, because the previous leader used to use new-age music. Now none of those people know how to induce a trance without it. My fear is that if you use music all the time, you will train yourself not to be able to read unless there is music.

Both readings and dropping into trance are things that we all should be able to do anywhere at any time. I can even meditate inside an MRI machine, and those buggers are*noisy*! Can't read in them, though, because they don't let you move your hands or head. :(

ravenest

If the music is good music, I start listening to it and get distracted from the reading.

If the music isn't good music, what's the point of wasting electricity playing it?

I have issues with my meditation group, because the previous leader used to use new-age music. Now none of those people know how to induce a trance without it. My fear is that if you use music all the time, you will train yourself not to be able to read unless there is music.

Both readings and dropping into trance are things that we all should be able to do anywhere at any time. I can even meditate inside an MRI machine, and those buggers are*noisy*! Can't read in them, though, because they don't let you move your hands or head. :(

I would have thought reading inside an MIR would INCREASE you electricity bill even more than playing bad music ?

nisaba

<sigh>

<puts out raven baits>

twilight_dusk

Oddly enough, i was listening randomly to my ipod and was doing just a quick, fun reading for a friend, and WOW, i just got the image in my head, as I read the cards and heard the music, I believe i was listening to a classical and rock playlist, what can I say, i like mixing things up!