I feel like giving up the Tarot

re-pete-a

There's a very old saying that was used in the trenches in the first WW 1...

"There are no atheists in these trenches"...

and for good reason...

While all is running smoothly there is no need for a god...

Hence if one has never experienced the "long black night of the soul" or experienced the public crucifixion/annihilation of the personal Hubris one is not able to make an experiential judgement about any Deity ...

That is the simple price of entry...nothing else will open those veils of separation...

The Tarot was created via that price ... and about the Fee's payable along the way...Starting with a "Leap of Faith" like the Fool card....

No leap of faith...no entry...

The first post contains that suggestion...

SunChariot

I had an online reading for my birthday today, and I'm so disappointed with the reading that I feel like giving up the Tarot. I felt this way about another reading I had earlier in the year.

At first, when I got my reading, I was really excited but since going over it I've realised that I just find it impossible to believe what this person had to say (I felt the same way about the last reading).

Both readings sounded like BS, and I'm starting not to believe in the Tarot or its 'powers' (whatever you want to call them). I honestly feel like giving it up.

Maybe the Tarot isn't right for me? I'm noticing that, with the Tarot, I'm starting to feel the way I do about religion, and I gave that up when I was a kid.

I'm not sure why I feel this way. Have you ever felt like this? I'm wondering if maybe it doesn't fit with my values/belief system.

No honestly never. Not for a second. Tarot for me, since the moment it first came into my life, has been something I knew I could never live without. It instantly became a huge part of who I am. Like I found a missing part of myself, a missing piece of a puzzle that was meant to go just there.

It's been awe and wonder and magic and connection and love and joy and miracles and beauty all rolled into one for me from the start. Even when I got in fights with loved ones who got insulting and begged me every which way to give it up, I knew that I never could.

It's improved my life in more ways than I could put into words if I have 20 books to write them in. It's my spiritual anchor, my problem solver, my way to do good in the world and help others, my center, my teacher, the part of me that brings out the best in me, my connection to my inner strength and magic. It's taught me more about life and love and miracles and the magic of life than I could have learnt in 10 lifetimes any other way.

Not just Tarot, but all the divination methods of currently use. Although Tarot was the first that lead me to the others. All if it opened up my intuition. I have like NONE before I started. I used to feel something would happen and no matter what I expected, the opposite happened. Tarot was the tool that allowed me to develop my intuition to the point where I could depend on it. And that changed my life very deeply. I started to get signs in my everyday life and life now shows me the best paths for me, even without the cards. Tarot connected me in ways that I could never have expected to life itself. All that created more and more beauty in my life.

Maybe something to think about is to try asking different kinds of questions than about what is going on in your life just now. My favourites are about the nature of life. About the meaning of life, the nature of fate/destiny, my life purpose, how I can be the best I can be, what's holding me back, how can I eliminate it and soar, who or what is answering me when I do readings. (yes you can ask that, you can ASK anything at all and the cards can answer).

I also prefer usually not to ask about the future in the usual way. Not to ask what will happen (the future can change anyway). I prefer to ask how to create the future I want. Eg If I wanted a raise at work during the year I would not ask if I will get one. I would instead ask what I can do that will lead me to get one. Then do it....

I would try asking the cards about how you are feeling right now. Tell them that you are worrying that they may not actually work and ask what you can do (what steps you can take) that will help calm your concerns about this. Hey it can't hurt to ask. Or have someone do it for you. You CAN ask the cards anything at all literally, and they CAN answer. Knowledge is power.

Also maybe needs to be said, some readers are better than others, some just don't have the knack or are not that great at it. That doesn't mean that Tarot does not work. if you went to a bad dentist who made all kinds of mistakes ( or even if you happened to go to 2 or 3 such dentists in a row) that does not mean that dentistry itself doesn't work or that there are not some excellent dentists out there who excel in their field.

Babs

Poor Wandering One

There's a very old saying that was used in the trenches in the first WW 1...

"There are no atheists in these trenches"...

As they say, this is an argument against trenches, not an argument against atheists. It's also completely wrong--there are indeed atheists in foxholes. You don't even have to search very far to find them. (http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/)

One needn't accept unevidenced deities to explore tarot. While it's obvious that much of the tarot literature talks about divinity and gods, they don't strike me as being real things that have to be believed in--just names given to internal experiences. Other labels without any hint of religious baggage would likely work just as well. I do wish there were a better vocabulary for describing these practices and experiences. I'm very uncomfortable with words like "spiritual" because it can be so easily misunderstood. Nothing I've ever seen or experienced has made me think that any gods exist outside of human concepts--but that doesn't mean I've never had profoundly moving, wholly human experiences.