Intensive Deck Study - Newly Started

Minotauro

Is anyone using a dictionary in their studies? I often find that I do not know the full meaning of a word. I am taking the time to look up some of the keywords.

I'm still working on the 10 of Diamonds (Pentacles)

"A well lived life". This sent me off on rabbit trails. What makes a life well lived. Are we in total control of whether our life is well lived, or is it defined to any degree by the oppurtunities and resources that may or may not be available to us?

I'm studying the words well, advantageously and wise.

Some of these family cards can be tricky to read for people with trauma backgrounds. I've gotten this card frequently lately, and I want to really get at it's roots.
well I use a symbols dictionary , I had never thought of using a regular one
:)
but in thsis pecific case , a well lived life , will mean diferent things to each sitter. and it should be read acordingly I think.

Penthasilia

<tapping foot impatiently>

I am waiting for the moon to get into Aquarius to start the Maat study. Wow- now I am really psyched for it! I originally did it to get into the moon-cycle swing of things, but now I cannot wait to dig in with all this build up! :D

Tomorrow!!!! Yay!!!

janie144

I am enjoying studying each of the cards individually. I have found so many details that I "missed"

This is exactly what I am doing, my problem is before I found this wonderful purple place I thought the best way to learn tarot was to study every book I could lay my hands on over and over till I knew the card meanings off by heart, now I want to read the cards more intuitively, but it is so difficult now to see past the book meanings, the trouble is you cant unlearn something can you?

I used to read some posts in the deck study threads, and i was always amazed at the detail people would see in the cards, an animal in the background, a tree or plant off to the left, whether the moon in the sky was a full moon or half, and all i could see was 3 of swords = heartache (example).

So now I am just spending time with my deck trying to suspend everything I know this card should mean and just write down everything I see, and its kinda fun :)

Soaring Eagle

This is exactly what I am doing, my problem is before I found this wonderful purple place I thought the best way to learn tarot was to study every book I could lay my hands on over and over till I knew the card meanings off by heart, now I want to read the cards more intuitively, but it is so difficult now to see past the book meanings, the trouble is you cant unlearn something can you?
It can be very difficult to un-learn something. I think that is why I enjoy the intuitive way I'm also studying. I am looking up some details to help me, such as color associations, and NA symbology.

I used to read some posts in the deck study threads, and i was always amazed at the detail people would see in the cards, an animal in the background, a tree or plant off to the left, whether the moon in the sky was a full moon or half, and all i could see was 3 of swords = heartache (example).
Hopefully your studies will allow you to see all of the details in your cards. I think that the more time you spend "bonding" with your cards, the more you are going to learn them.

So now I am just spending time with my deck trying to suspend everything I know this card should mean and just write down everything I see, and its kinda fun :)
Learning should always be fun, if it's not you're not going to stick with it. Take your time, and don't try to rush it, so you don't feel burned out. I am glad that you are enjoying your studies.

Soaring Eagle

Penthasilia, Great start on your studies!!

Cat*

Ivy Rhiannon, Minotauro, and Penthasilia,
Thank you for sharing your ways of journaling about individual cards! I find each of your versions very useful and will also happily borrow the idea to make my own points to write down notes on specific cards (even though I'm not IDSing right now but doing the "Deck of the Week" project instead). :thumbsup:

May I also suggest that you copy your posts into the study group area (and if your decks is on the study group index already, drop Sulis a hint so she can add any new threads to the index)? It would be a pity of future readers wouldn't find this information because it's hidden away in the IDS thread!

Happy IDSing!

Penthasilia

Ivy Rhiannon, Minotauro, and Penthasilia,
Thank you for sharing your ways of journaling about individual cards! I find each of your versions very useful and will also happily borrow the idea to make my own points to write down notes on specific cards (even though I'm not IDSing right now but doing the "Deck of the Week" project instead). :thumbsup:

May I also suggest that you copy your posts into the study group area (and if your decks is on the study group index already, drop Sulis a hint so she can add any new threads to the index)? It would be a pity of future readers wouldn't find this information because it's hidden away in the IDS thread!

Happy IDSing!

Thanks! I did put mine under the general Maat tarot study thread, but I will PM Sulis to see if she wants me to put it anywhere else- good idea! :D

Soaring Eagle

Vision Quest

Happy IDSing!

Thank you Cat*, I forgot to mention that.

I have been posting my individual card studies in the the Study Groups forum. I hit a stumbling block today, as I was studying the Six of Fire, and I haven't got a clue what the flower is that's on this card. I posted what I could, and continued on to another card. This card is going to drive me crazy. I won't be happy with it until I've figured it out. I want to say it's echinacea, but the petals go up instead of down, then the stalk is different also. Oh, well, more online research on flowers.

Penthasilia

Thank you Cat*, I forgot to mention that.

I have been posting my individual card studies in the the Study Groups forum. I hit a stumbling block today, as I was studying the Six of Fire, and I haven't got a clue what the flower is that's on this card. I posted what I could, and continued on to another card. This card is going to drive me crazy. I won't be happy with it until I've figured it out. I want to say it's echinacea, but the petals go up instead of down, then the stalk is different also. Oh, well, more online research on flowers.

Can you post a picture of it- maybe we can help you out :)