Am I the only minimalist here?

Zedrex

I have a few. I considered myself a collector in the eighties and nineties, but I was really just a good consumer. I have given almost all of the hundreds I used to own away, leaving me with about 5 decks now. Of them, there's really only two I use - the Cat People and the Magickal Tarot - but I admit occasionally get bored and like to learn and read with another.

Only really two I wanna get right now - a Wizard tarot that's a really really lovely looking RWS one that I know will be a hit with my clientele and one I suspect I will get great readings with - and a RWS. Good old RWS - it's the one I learned with and still the ultimate for me for many reasons.

There is a third (Fountain Tarot) that I covet purely because I'm still a consumer.... but truthfully you only need one deck to read with

Annabelle

Sure, one or two decks is definitely plenty! Be grateful that the collecting bug didn't hit you :).

I tend to read with the same two or three decks over and over, despite having a collection of over 750.

PAMUYA

I am a card reader, not a collector of cards (of course you can be both :) ). I have just a couple of decks. I am a minimalist in all aspects of life, keep things simple (even in my readings). I do think some decks are beautiful, but I dont need to own them. I am not attached to my decks at all. If at a party without my cards ,a deck of playing cards will do. The magic is not in the cards, the magic is within you.

firefrost

I have about 10 decks and consider myself a minimalist. My original collection peaked at about 60 decks I think but I had a couple of culls because I just couldn't see the point in keeping what I didn't use.

I envy anyone who has just one deck to use as and when needed, but I couldn't get myself down to that.

GlitterNova

I've got four decks and one on my 'serious' wish list. Of those four decks, two I read with and shuffle often, one I am still learning and use for study and one doesn't feel appropriate for this season so sits idle. I wouldn't call myself a minimalist, though, instead just someone without a lot of disposable income!

jolie_amethyst

I'm at nine Tarot decks, with perhaps one or two more I'm eyeing...but could easily live without. Of those I have, one is my primary deck, a couple still need more studying, and the rest are purpose-decks, used very specifically either for fiction writing work or for comparative readings with multiple decks. I don't buy a deck that I don't intend to use, and I can't see the "collection" growing any bigger at this point. What I have serves my needs, and fits into a pretty small space.

If I had to, I could probably go down to two decks, Shadowscapes and Tyldwick, but having the others has broadened both my base of knowledge and abilities in reading. They've enriched the experience and provided new insights. So, no regrets.

Now, oracles...those I struggle a bit with not adding more to my stash. And I've avoided Lenormands because I could easily see going overboard with them! :joke:

Chimera Dust

I'm a minimalist when it comes to reading. I stick with one or two decks at any given time. I just find that easier and I like to take things slowly and explore each deck as much as I can.

I'm not a big collector for many reasons, including how picky I am about deck art. There are decks that I would get for study purposes or because I like the artwork, but which I wouldn't necessarily read with. Even when it comes to "purely collecting" decks, I still don't tend to get many of them.

Miss Divine

When I started out, I managed to keep it under 15-20 decks for several years. Now I've given up on trying to restrict myself to a certain amount of decks. If I like it, I'll purchase it. Now I enjoy being able to have a nice variety to choose from. I don't use just a chosen few. Most of what I have actually comes out of it's box, otherwise it goes to a new home.

ravenest

Am I the only minimalist here? ?

No.

can't remember when I first started reading tarot, but it's well over 10 years now, and for most of that time I had only one deck. I've just purchased my second deck earlier this year.

Am I the only person who thinks that two decks is plenty?

No.

tarotbear

No.

Actually, I only use two decks ... does that count? I don't switch them off for different decks due to the season, which cologne I have on, or if the 8th of June is a Thursday this year ...