Am I the only minimalist here?

swedishfish612

Oddly enough, I'm a minimalist in all areas of my life EXCEPT Tarot.

We moved recently and my mom was helping me unpack, and she was baffled when we unpacked my clothes. She kept saying, "That's all you have? Really? Are you SURE?" I'm pretty sure she wanted to write me a check and tell me to buy myself some clothes, lol.

But Tarot decks...eep. I keep a running list, and I'm at just under 50. It's probably way too much. I only "trust" about 8-10 of them but I hang on to the others because they're gorgeous, or I haven't used them enough to dismiss them yet, or they're soooo rare and I'll never find another one, or I need to research it so I know how much to sell it for on the trading forum, or "but everyone at AT says this is a must-have!" lol

kell

I am a card reader, not a collector of cards (of course you can be both :) ). I have just a couple of decks. I am a minimalist in all aspects of life, keep things simple (even in my readings). I do think some decks are beautiful, but I dont need to own them. I am not attached to my decks at all. If at a party without my cards ,a deck of playing cards will do. The magic is not in the cards, the magic is within you.

I wish I was a minimalist. Don't even want to think how much I spent on cards in the past year! And although different decks have different energies and personalities (I think, anyways), in the end it is a means for connecting with ones own magic and innate wisdom. Well said, Pamuya! But for now, I'm justifying my card spree as a hobby :)

roxana

In my heart I am a collector, and for me some Tarot Decks are attractive only as art pieces. For reading I use only Marseilles deck. In many decks it's difficult to find an authentic sense of the Tarot system. I would not like to collect Waite's clones as well.

OaksWhispering

Have 3 decks (five if you count my two Brian Froud oracles but I got them because I am a fan of his art)
I have a wishlist that I am always removing things from, and only one of them I am serious about getting, one I am on the fence about.

One deck I have was my first of course. An impulse purchase because I always wanted to use tarot. I use it for very quick and blunt readings.

My second deck is very traditional, and my third deck has a new system, and is far more spiritual. So depending on my needs is what deck I use. I also sometimes lose my connection to one of my decks for a while and so have to use one of my others.
One of the decks I am actively trying to get speaks to a different layer of me. I don't know how else to explain it except that. But it also works differently from the ones I have.

I am a bit picky with decks, I'll be honest. So I don't make a purchase unless it really resonates with me. I also don't like to collect things in general because I get overwhelmed. I am someone who likes my things, but I like to be able to appreciate them one by one, like if I am in a museum. If I have too many things I can't do that.

Zephyros

I guess I'm lucky, I have actually found my perfect deck, and didn't need to buy 200 decks to find it! Although I like having my ten decks, I could easily survive with just one.

FLizarraga

I envy you guys. Perhaps, in time, I will grow up and become a minimalist as well, but right now... :bugeyed:

Cenozoic

Well I have like 10 decks. I wish I was a minimalist though, but currently I'm just using 2 of them.

manandcards

No.

Actually, I only use two decks ... does that count? I don't switch them off for different decks due to the season, which cologne I have on, or if the 8th of June is a Thursday this year ...

Different decks for different conversations - it's nice to meet new 'people'

Richard

I use only two decks. I have several other decks for reference but not for reading.

Thoughtful

l started out as a buyer of tarot to find what interested me and which deck l could work with. So this led to quite a few decks landing in my collection, though l was not a collector only a seeker. Some decks have stayed, some have found new homes and more will find new homes as l want to whittle them down further.
l have two decks, one l have had a very long time, one l have had only a few months, both have found a place in my heart and are the ones l will work with exclusively. Both give such incredible readings, my intuition taps in and l am rewarded with messages that flow so easily.

l would say they are the tarots that are THE ONE for me and through all my buying and searching they in the end have found me. By that l mean l did not have to search for them they came my way.

So l am more than happy to be in the minimalist' s club now, l gained membership when l felt no desire to buy another deck and realised that l have two very special friends with me for life.