Am I the only minimalist here?

greatdane

Depends on one's definition of minimalist

I consider myself a minimalist in most aspects of my life. I love books and even there I glean from time to time.

As far as decks, I could be fine with one or two, but as far as the others I have, they serve the purpose of sometimes being mood-specific or sitter-specific. If you read for others, sometimes it is handy to have more than a deck or two. I also have a pocket Universal Waite so I have a smaller deck I can carry if need be.

I notice you have not been a member long. Even though you have been reading tarot for over a decade, if you check out forums here, you may find your minimalism increasing a bit :). Sometimes you will see a deck and read comments and think that might be a good one for you. If you work with other systems, like TdM's as well as, say, RWS, then you will have more than one deck as well.

I do hit a saturation point when a deck must leave rather than another come in and I look at which deck I read with the least and generally move that along. I am not a collector, but I do enjoy a little variety. There is a big difference between being a minimalist and a collector. Many here who have more than one or two decks are not collectors, but like a bit of variation from time to time.

karlwb

I have about a half dozen decks but seem to gravitate to two of them for most of my readings. For those of you who feel that one must infuse some sort of energy into your cards such as myself, I feel I would be spreading myself thin if I had to “energize” a multitude of decks. Then there are the camps that look at the cards as mere ink on cardboard. I don’t follow that line of reasoning. If one is to believe crystals have energies, cards should have them as well. Heck, everyday items can have energy. Who hasn’t held an object possessed by a parent or good friend who has passed on and felt some sort of energy, whether it be from the object or yourself. I believe that mental connection is important, be it with cards, crystals, dominoes, or runestones.

Thoughtful

I have about a half dozen decks but seem to gravitate to two of them for most of my readings. For those of you who feel that one must infuse some sort of energy into your cards such as myself, I feel I would be spreading myself thin if I had to “energize” a multitude of decks.

l agree with what you say here, it strikes a chord with me. l have found that in the past a deck works well with me until l purchase another and another..... the energies weakened when l tried to go back to a former deck. So like you l am a believer that if you have a deck that works well for you stay with it and the readings get even better. Not everyone will agree with this but to each their own. As a healer l work with energies all the time and l feel that as much as you put healing energy to a person, you can also put energy into a deck of cards. They become part of you. Using lots of different decks just scatters my energies, l have only learned this lately. So l am obviously a tarot reader that once connected to a deck (whichever one that is) needs to stay with it.

l take my hat off to those who can read with multiple decks. Tried that and found they go off the boil leaving me to ponder whats gone wrong with me. So this has been a big learning curve for me, in my case little is more.