Mistakes in modifying/aging a deck, anyone?

feynrir

Hi everyone!

DISCLAIMER: This thread is going to discuss modifying and aging decks, as well as riffle-shuffling, so anyone who is opposed to these things on principle...please don't bother reading it unless you'll be okay with this kind of discussion and advice exchange! Thank you. :)

So. I have the modern version of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck. Got it for free back when. I've never stood to use it, and I figured out that the real reason is the dang glossy laminate, in coordination with the images being too bright.

I thought aging it would help it be less slippery as well as pleasing to the eye.

I dunked each card individually in tea, thinking that would mute the deck's colors a bit as well as make the cards more leaflike and easier to shuffle.

I was right on the first account--it looks much nicer. But that darn laminate pushed all the tea to the outer edges of the deck, and now the cards are permanently bowed and buckle while riffle-shuffling. They're still "strong" and sturdy; just bowed instead of straight, now.

I can try to provide pictures if anyone shows interest or simply can't picture what I'm even talking about :D

Does anyone have advice for how to straighten this impossible deck? Even if not, any stories about modifications gone wrong and how you've learned to accept them? I really do love this deck more after the modification, I'm just a bit disappointed with what exactly happened. Thank you so much. :)

pluto'sapprentice258

Umm, put the cards under a towel one by one and iron them? Just a thought. Otherwise, I got nothin' :)

Chimera Dust

Are you sure they're completely dry yet? If they're still somewhat damp, that could explain why they're still a bit bendy. I'd just let them dry for a few days, maybe in the sun. Then I'd put them between the pages of a large, heavy book, with another heavy book on top for good measure. That might flatten them again. :)

cSpaceDiva

I did pretty much the same with a spare Hanson Roberts. I have ironed each of the cards, I have stacked a heavy box on top, and they do get better. But if I shuffle them more than a couple times, they go right back to being wavy and warped.

I think if I was to do it again, and I'm not saying I will, I would first stress the cards by curling them on the edge of a table. Then I think I would sponge the tea on front and back rather than dunking. I think I would also wait until they were completely dry before trying to shuffle, because I didn't do that last time.

Cenozoic

I would suggest blotching a really light and faint sepia paint or ink onto the card with a sponge or towel, but make sure that the paint is like 90% dry before putting it on the card, since anything with a lot of moisture would cause warping. And remember to test it out on paper before trying it out on your precious cards.

Or maybe you can purchase some Distress Ink online, which is like a stamp and ink pad, used to create the vintage and stained look.

But maybe on a warped card, try cutting out two plastic sheets that are around the same size of the card, maybe from a sandwich bag or something, and then lightly dampen the card a bit with water, and place the plastic sheets on top and on the bottom of the card and let it dry. I think it might dry out evenly like this. But remember to test it out first before you try it on your cards.

Zedrex

I have aged my decks by using them in the professional arena for over twenty years. It's not the fastest way to age them, but it's authentic and they look amazing

AJ

Always always compare side by side, a major and minor card before beginning trimming.
Ever so often the border treatment/size is different. Baroque Bohemian Cats for instance

Always test drive a treatment on one of the decks extra cards

bogiesan

Getting it aged for you

Find a theatre company!

(I have posted this tale a few times, sorry if you've read it before.)
One of my favorite possessions is a Thoth deck from 1980-1990. It was used as a prop in early rehearsals for a production of Shakespeare's "Macbeth." The cards are scratched from sliding across the stage floor. They are stained with stage blood (red food coloring, Karo syrup, other organic stuff). Some of the edges are gnarled. None of them are folded or creased. It is aged far beyond its years.

Chimera Dust

Find a theatre company!

(I have posted this tale a few times, sorry if you've read it before.)
One of my favorite possessions is a Thoth deck from 1980-1990. It was used as a prop in early rehearsals for a production of Shakespeare's "Macbeth." The cards are scratched from sliding across the stage floor. They are stained with stage blood (red food coloring, Karo syrup, other organic stuff). Some of the edges are gnarled. None of them are folded or creased. It is aged far beyond its years.

This is an awesome story. :D

twilight_dusk

I remember when one of my decks got wet..... good times, good times. they look very worn now, weirdly enough, they barely bent, only if you really looked but they're still good, especially with riffle shuffling, I think i lucked out on that deck. Can't find it now.
now to my horror story....I tried modifying one of my llewellyn decks... tried to snip some of the horrendous borders off.... I was an idiot.
Moral of the story: Dont be me, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT modify your deck willy nilly. I have learned my lesson, boo hoo :'(