keeping tarot cards in bags or boxes

northsea

I keep my tarot decks in boxes, bags, or both, depending on the deck size, box condition, and available bags. Some of them have good boxes, like the vintage Aquarian boxes, and others have veddy bad boxes, like the newer Mythic box.

geministar

I think you should keep the boxes. Even if you were to store them somewhere and then keep the decks in bags, they will take up less space.

But I am really interested to see what Hearthcricket is sending you!

Keep us posted :)

a_shikhs

Thank you everyone for your replies. Ive kept all the tarot boxes safely in my cupboard and most of my decks are in bags. I prefer keeping my decks in matching bags as they feel more personal and homely. Weird thinking, I know. ;)
With the deck/book boxes, the book goes into my tarot shelf in my bookcase and now Ive started folding the boxes and keeping them in my cupboard.

HearthCricket said:
Pssst...Shikha....

"Something" is coming in the mail, shortly, (well, depending on the mailmen!) which will help you store your decks. In the meantime, make bags for the ones you want and just pile your decks somewhere until this arrives. Trust me! I am sending you some storage, so don't make any rash decisions! :D Can't tell more. And you know why!!! Hehehehee....

((())))
HearthCricket...looking out for little Sis and her decks!

Lol, Debi, you are seriously spoiling me rotten now. :D Thank you. mwahhhh.. :*

The Hanged Man

I just keep them in the boxes they come in. I even have decks that no longer have boxes because they became so tattered and dog-eared they fell to pieces, and yet they work as well as any other deck.

I don't believe all the superstitious stuff about 'foreign psychic energies' that they might pick up and the like - they're just illustrated pieces of pasteboard - the magic is all in the mind, as is the elaborate storage rituals that some undertake, believing that the Tarot will not work otherwise, but each to their own.

floracove

I have most of my decks in bags.
I keep their boxes in a rubbermaid container, that way if I decide to trade or sale, I can place them back in their own little box.

SunChariot

I keep them in lined pouches. I throw out most of my boxes. But I keep a few in case I want to trade a deck. Makes it a whole lot easier to mail something when you have the box. Although I sometimes (usually) end up mailing one deck in the box of another if I already threw out the first. :grin:

Bar

fadestoblackk

I don't store my decks in bags or boxes, I wrap them in nice cloth. It's just a little easier, and it is what I prefer. I put all the wrapped bundles in a small trunk when I am not using them.
As to keeping the boxes or not, keep them. You dont know when you might want them, as said. The smaller ones could be put in the larger ones, or broken down and put in the larger ones. The larger ones could be used for storage of other things. Office supplies, letters, sewing. If need be. Otherwise, in the back of your closet, under your bed, in the attic, piled in a corner somewhere, but don't throw them away.

And if you do--recycle! :)

Sakura Murasaki

I store my decks in their boxes, but I also have a nice velvet bag for when I'm taking a deck with me to do a reading for someone or to just carry around. Some paper boxes that the decks come in become really tattered after being handled a lot. I recently had to buy a box because my Revelations Tarot's box was too big and while it came with a bag...I feel that my decks are safer in boxes.

celticnoodle

i have some in bags, (those came in boxes, but the boxes became very battered & had to be thrown away), but if the box is still in good shape, I prefer to keep them in their original box. some of the cards have their own book, which also fits inside the box, so it's nice keeping all of it together. Then, I keep all of these inside a rubbermade container, as that is much easier to keep it out of sight, (when need be), but easy to get to also, when the need arises.

however, i do have a small open bag, that houses my most used tarot cards, (those in the bags!) and fav. books, along with a notebook and pen for recording my readings. this little bag fits nicely between my couch and end table, where I tend to sit the most. It's always ready to grab when I'm headed out the door, (I try to always have my cards available, in case someone wants a reading), and carries easily. it's getting too difficult to carry decks in my already overflowing and heavy purse!

November's Dawn

I keep them in their original boxes and then every one in their drawstring pouch. I was experimenting with my pocket Thoth and Rider Waite by having them only in pouch since I work with them often and recently I got feeling it feels strange, like they are naked. It's like they are flying inside and I'm always afraid that they will rub the edges or I will squeeze them, so I have to be carefull. Now I don't have a problem. They are fully dressed and protected with double shield LOL :)