Tarot for Writers

Chara

I've been trying to find SOMETHING on AT that talks about this book, but I haven't seen anything yet. If I just totally missed some really obvious thread, then feel free to hit me with links. :D

But I just got this book Monday, and while I haven't had a chance to really go through it yet, I think it looks really interesting. I use tarot a lot with my writing, and I've been looking for new techniques and spreads lately, so this book came at just the right time!

Here's the information from the back of the book (which I typed up myself, so any mistakes are most likely mine...):

Kick-start your creativity

Once reserved for mystics and seers, the tarot is one of the best tools for boosting your creativity and shifting your imagination into high gear. Famous authors such as John Steinbeck and Stephen King have used this practical method to tap into deep wells of inspiration, and you can enliven your own writing the same way--whether you craft short stories, novels, poetry, nonfiction, or even business proposals.

Tarot for Writers will guide you through each stage of the creative process, from fleshing out a premise to promoting a finished work. Enhance your storytelling techniques through over 500 enjoyable writing prompts, exploratory games for groups and individuals, tarot journaling, and other idea-stimulating activities that call upon the archetypal imagery and multi-layered symbolism in the tarot. Infuse flair and originality into your work as you learn to:

• Interpret symbols and myths in all seventy-eight tarot cards
  • Use classic tarot layouts and spreads to structure your story
  • Brainstorm story ideas and develop dialogue and plot
  • Create detailed settings, powerful scenes, and dynamic characters
  • Overcome writer's block and breathe new life into existing projects.

As a writer, you hold the power of creation in your hands. By exploring the tarot and incorporating it into your writing practice, you will set your creative potential soaring to new heights.

So, does anyone else have this book? What do you think of it? It's by Corrine Kenner, published by Llewellyn, and the ISBN number is 978-0-7387-1457-8.

Lynny

*stalks you*
I expect you to share some spreads with me, hehe. I need to do stuff for my writing. D: And my creative spread-making skills are dead. x__x I want this book. >_<

Chara

Lynny said:
*stalks you*
I expect you to share some spreads with me, hehe. I need to do stuff for my writing. D: And my creative spread-making skills are dead. x__x I want this book. >_<

XD I might have to get it for you! I think there's a lot in there that's useful.

When I opened the box it came in, I was really surprised by the size. I was expecting it to be smaller in size and not have as many pages. I was honestly surprised by how big it is. In fact, I don't think that I've gotten over it. Was anyone else struck by that?

Jewel

Thanks for sharing Chara! I am going to put this on my Amazon wishlist, as I also enjoy writting and using tarot for inspiration of stories.

Asher

I just ordered this...

and it's on its way to me, should arrive on Monday. It looks like a good resource and might help me, since I don't really like to write. More feedback when it arrives!

Asher

satinangel

I don't have that particular book, but have read others by Corrine Kenner and was not disappointed. :)

AJ

I haven't got the book, but I've been using tarot cards for journal prompts on my blog (in profile) for so long, that I'm not sure I can even read the cards in the traditional way anymore :)

It has taught me a lot of different ways to look at the cards beyond the RW keywords, so to speak.

Dragon Rider

Combination of my 2 great loves: Tarot & Writing

Thanks to this thread, I decided to look the book up at Amazon and then ordered it! :)

I've been writing professionally for fashion/lifestyle publications for more than a decade, and admittedly it's becoming increasingly difficult to put a new spin on topics, or think of new subjects for my articles! Hopefully this book can help me get my "muses" back! :)

rwcarter

Chara,

I'd love to add this book to the Tarot Books & Media Index if you give me the information for it. From what I've read in this thread, it would go into the Miscellaneous section. You would need to add the info to this thread if you're interested.

Rodney

Chara

rwcarter said:
Chara,

I'd love to add this book to the Tarot Books & Media Index if you give me the information for it. From what I've read in this thread, it would go into the Miscellaneous section. You would need to add the info to this thread if you're interested.

Rodney

Thanks for letting me know about that! I added the information to thread, and hopefully I did that all right :D

I've finally gotten to start really reading the book, and so far I like it. I've flipped through the sections, so I'll share more on how it's set up.

The book is divided into three parts, with the first one being Tarot 101, which covers "Tarot Basics" (she talks about the setup of a tarot deck, a brief description of the majors, and an overview of the minors), "How to Read the Cards" (among other things she talks about asking questions, a reading routines/rituals, and using reversals), and then there's "Classic Spreads and Layouts", which not only deals with classic spreads (such as the horseshoe, three card spreads, and the Celtic Cross), but it's got "Writing Practice" sections put throughout, with suggestions like picking a card and describing what's in it, and sample readings are included.

The second part is "The Writer's Tarot" which includes the sections "Character Creation", "Astrology and Tarot", "Storylines and Plot", "Tarot Journeys", "Setting and Description", "Breaking Writer's Block", and "The Tarot Card Writing Coach". I haven't read these yet, but flipping through reveals more "Writing Practice"s and several spreads and sample readings, along with various other exercises and information.

The third part is "A Writer's Guide to Tarot Cards" which gives more in depth information on the cards, with Major Arcana cards getting a description, "Key Symbols" (which discusses the symbolism present in the card), "Keywords", "Myth and Legend" (which relates the card to myths, legends, and (historical/fictional people), "Astrological Associations", "Literary Archetypes" (The Hanged Man, for example, has the martyr, the mystic, the shaman, and the seeker, among several others, listed here), "(This Card) and Your Writing Practice" (Temperance and Your Writing Practice talks about the need to "reflect on how you find balance in your work as a writer" for example), and then a list of Writing Prompts.

The Minors also include descriptions, key symbols, keywords, and writing prompts.

The back of the book also has a symbolism and terminology glossary.

I'm kind of in love with this book. :D