Spread to learn about deck's past?

mechantfemme

I recently acquired an RWS deck made sometime in the 1980s from a used bookstore. As soon as I held the pouch containing the cards (before I really knew what was inside) I felt a kind of intense energy.

Is there any way to ask a deck about its past? Or possibly about the life of its previous owner(s)?

Zelmira

Hello Merchantfemme:
I do not know of spread to find out a past of a deck, but may be you could use the spread to interview a new deck that is posted in this forum. Even though it is a deck that was used by another person or persons, it is new to you. Just an idea. Peace,
Zelmira

tarotreader2007

This kind of goes along with the theory that I have about how tarot works...

I think that the psyche picks up the energy related to something and if you concentrate on receiving the energy of the old deck about it's identity, you can feel the cards of the deck you will read with until it feels like the energy that you've received. That way, it will help you to physically visualize what your psyche has already seen.

Personally, I would use a different deck to read about the other deck because, if the deck has a history, the way it will relate to your energy might be a bit unclear.

Hope that helps!

mechantfemme

Thank you both.

Sheri

A Deck's Past Life

Ok, here's my try at making a layout to explore a used deck's past.

1. What did you bring to your previous owner
2. What will you bring to me
3. Why did you and previous owner part ways
4. Why did you come to me
5. What will the outcome of our collaboration be

If a deck had more than one owner, you can make the owner questions plural, or you could do a reading for each owner that you know about. I tend to use smaller numbers of cards, so that is reflected in the design.

I haven't tried it yet, and this is a first stab at this topic so please feel free to add or alter :D

:love: Sheri

Ravnix

Simply have a conversation with it. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

I do that from time to time...talk with my decks. It's really easy, actually. shuffle your cards, ask a question and select the top card, bottom card or somewhere in the middle...it's up to what you feel is right, really. When you've got your anwser, return the card to the deck, reshuffle and repeat.

Glass Owl

Sheri said:
Ok, here's my try at making a layout to explore a used deck's past.

1. What did you bring to your previous owner
2. What will you bring to me
3. Why did you and previous owner part ways
4. Why did you come to me
5. What will the outcome of our collaboration be

If a deck had more than one owner, you can make the owner questions plural, or you could do a reading for each owner that you know about. I tend to use smaller numbers of cards, so that is reflected in the design.

I haven't tried it yet, and this is a first stab at this topic so please feel free to add or alter :D

I really like this spread and I love how it could also be used to do a reading on basically any item that has come to you previously used... heck, even a pet or a person :)

Sheri

Thanks, Glass Owl! I think of you as an uber-thread designer so I consider that very high praise :D

I hadn't considered using it for other things, but you are right it could be used for anything!

Glass Owl

Sheri said:
Thanks, Glass Owl! I think of you as an uber-thread designer so I consider that very high praise :D

I hadn't considered using it for other things, but you are right it could be used for anything!

I just used it to learn more about a cat who has *adopted* us. It seems that there was a lot of turmoil for her previously and now she is happy to call our house her home.

Thank you so much for the spread!