one book that covers most if not all !!!

safari

can you guys suggest one book for tarot readers that covers thorough and detailed information about tarot card meanings that you have read and found to be very useful ?!

looking forward to your responses :) thank you !

Sulis

'The Complete Tarot Reader' by Teresa Michelsen.

No meanings but it tells you how to read rather than giving you meanings to learn parrot fashion.
This book covers numerolgy, elements, reversals, elemental dignities, phrasing a question, exercises with the cards - you name it, it's there (apart from lists of card meanings ;).

rwcarter

Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis is illustrated with the Robin Wood Tarot. The write-up for each card contains the following sections:
  • Upright
  • Key Words and Phrases
  • Situation and Advice
  • People
  • Reversed
  • Key Words and Phrases
  • Situation and Advice
  • People
It's a nice starting point, but I agree with Sulis that books that teach you how to read are a better investment. But as I say about all books, just because it's written doesn't mean it's gospel, and you should keep what resonates and discard what doesn't.

HTH,
Rodney

Oink

'The Complete Tarot Reader' by Teresa Michelsen.
I have a LOT of tarot and related books, and I wholeheartedly agree with this recommendation from Sulis. There's no single other book that I have that goes into all those things in good, clear, detail. I love Mary Greer's books for ideas on creatively expanding your reading techniques, but for the nuts and bolts I think "The Complete Tarot Reader" is an amazing resource.

Luna-Ocean

Well there is quite alot to understand and learn about Tarot, the books that have helped me immensely since my journey have been ( 78 degrees of wisdom by Rachel pollack and another good one for the beginner is ( The Tarot revealed by Paul Fenton Smith, this book explains quite a lot in detail of each of the 78 cards and also reversals, plus you will learn how to read card combinations that will give you more to go on in a reading, i have been reading Tarot for about 8yrs now and i'm still learning new things.

safari

thank you everyone for your recommendations !
i had a question though :could we use already used books for learning? does it really matter if the book is new or used ?

rwcarter

i had a question though :could we use already used books for learning? does it really matter if the book is new or used ?
My only concern about a used book would be one that's been marked up. When I was at the beginning of my tarot journey, I would underline, highlight and circle words and phrases that I felt were important. What I felt was important may not be important to you at all, but seeing it marked up could make you think that it should be important.

So getting a previously owned book shouldn't be a problem. Getting a used book could be.

Rodney

safari

this is what my concern is as well !! that's why i asked the question. moreover i am also concerned about the energy part . does it affect your readings while using a used book that might have energy of another reader already in there ?! or am i thinking too much here ?
people have had upsetting experiences with their readings from used decks so it could happen in case of used books as well , no?!

My only concern about a used book would be one that's been marked up. When I was at the beginning of my tarot journey, I would underline, highlight and circle words and phrases that I felt were important. What I felt was important may not be important to you at all, but seeing it marked up could make you think that it should be important.

So getting a previously owned book shouldn't be a problem. Getting a used book could be.

Rodney

rwcarter

We're venturing into the Talking Tarot area, but you won't have the book with you while you're doing the reading, are you? If you're using the book to study and then taking what you've learned and apply it to your readings, then the book's energy is irrelevant.

If you plan on having the book in one hand and the cards in the other, you've got to remember that whether it's a new or used book, it's been handled by other people before you. And those people could just as easily have put good energy into the book as bad.

So, I wouldn't worry about the energy that's been imparted to the book.