shuffling

nisaba

suedally said:
After that then I usually lace them, because I don't want them to get damaged.
<cheering wildly> You know, the reason I mostly avoid threads like this, is because I can *see* all that hard treatment of the decks by rifflers, and I feel such impotent compassion for the cards ...

Probie

I wanted to add this as I just got my $45+ AGM Thoth Deck today and we've been spending some quality time (e.g., Aeclectic Tarot Spreads (2007), "New Deck Spread" by Wavebreaker and "A Spread on Tarot Reading" by Marion, p. 38) together today.

Unlike my first deck [or should I say "first deck now that I'm back?"] that is like a standard playing card deck but with an additional inch [/2.5cm] in length, these are like those 3x5 [/7.5cmx15cm] index cards! That's when I remembered a technique I saw done by Magic the Gathering players (think Uno played with really expensive baseball cards) that I call "priming."

To prime, all you have to do is create a number of piles equal to [usually] a prime number like 5 or 7 (3 is to small, 9 isn't a prime but could work if you had small cards). So then you deal out the cards from the top in order with one card to each pile before beginning again. This insures that cards 1-5 will be separated from one another. Then pile 1 goes on top of pile 2, 2 on 3, etc. This breaks up the card order and mitigates clumping while not damaging valuable cards.

Just some thoughts...

Komodo_Queen

I am not sure what is meant by lacing. Is it when I sort of let the cards fall into one another without adding thumb pressure, so they make various layers from left to right, without so much bending? Whatever that is, I do that at times. I also sometimes section the cards into smaller decks and rearrange them. I sometimes take out random cards and put them into random sections of the deck- just slip them in, but care must be taken not to harm them that way. I will also take random sections out and place them somewhere else. But I always spread them around because I do reversal readings, and to me this is a reliable way to allow me to make sure some cards are flipped upside down and not others. If I regularly just flipped entire deck sections upside down, I'd prob. end up with entire readings in reverse or rightside up. When I am spreading them about I sometimes take clumps of the spread and place them over one another or gently slide them together, so the cards interlock.

I do NOT riffle. Ack. I do that with playing cards, but not tarot cards. It causes too much damage. I would never want anyone to do my cards that way. I explain to people beforehand how to shuffle. Indicating I think it's a good idea to spread them so some stand upside down, and that otherwise to mix them until it feels right. I need to be very clear, though I think, and explain- do not riffle. I've had people take sections out and rearrange them I think, but do not recall any rifflers. I like the idea Dimwem gave involving tossing them in a bag. Never tried that. Interesting.

gregory

I had to look that one up... so thanks for a lesson :D

Insertion Method [also known as Lacing, Stripping, or Overhand] Hold about half the deck in each hand, and insert one half in a scattered fashion down through the other half. You can hold the cards on their long or short side. This method is fast, efficient and composed with a lot of hand-to-card contact. Be careful with the edges as they can fray over time

WingspreadPhoenix

I didn't know riffle was pronounced like the firearm :0

I usually just take some cards from the middle, put them on top, and repeat until it's been shuffled thoroughly. Then I cut it into 3. I wanna learn that lacing one now though! I know how to riffle but I don't do it with my tarot decks 'cause I don't want them to get messed up. I have countless poker decks and I know what riffling does to them.

strings of life

I'm getting the hang of "lacing", but I was a "riffler" at the start; aren't most who are new? I have also used the "Go Fish" method of scattering and then reassembling.

I get the best shuffle by riffling, but I don't mind spending the time attempting to get better at lacing so as to keep the edges of my cards in the best condition as possible.

When reading for others, I'm interested to know how many of you let the querent shuffle or not...

gregory

WingspreadPhoenix said:
I didn't know riffle was pronounced like the firearm :0
It isn't - is it ????

Areanwen

Pardon me but, no matter how much I try I can't find a discription of lacing that I actually understand. It sounds to me like passing cards from hand to hand while dropping them everywhere - and I'm fairly certain that's not right. Can anyone explain this better to me? I've looked through some member descriptions and off-site ones abotu card shuffling.

zan_chan

I just read through this thread and wow! I'm shocked that people are so rough on their cards! The idea of shuffling my beloved decks like a Vegas blackjack dealer gives me the same feeling as ten old women scraping their fingernails against a chalkboard. Ugh. I can't even shake it now.

Man, to each his own-- I mean you guys bought them-- throw them under a truck and set the truck on fire if that's what you feel like doing.

But I really just can't (won't!) imagine all this "riffling" business.

Mellaenn

Areanwen said:
It sounds to me like passing cards from hand to hand while dropping them everywhere -
This sounds like the way I shuffle! :grin: But seriously, it is a little difficult to easily describe - but I'll try in my words.

*Break a deck in half, one half in each hand
*Hold the halves with a loose grip and raise on hand above the other
*Release the grip on the upper hand until some cards slip out of your hand and fall into the lower hand, mixing in with the cards in that hand
*Repeat numerous times

Oh, gosh. That's no more clear than any of the other posts, I fear. We need to do a You Tube demo of it!