Bill's Tarot

prudence

Thank you for the update, OP!!

(I winced a bit at the idea of your entire wands sheet being scrapped! But I trust you to know your own vision.... )

Yay, that you are back to working on those pips!!! I hope you stay well inspired!!!

thorhammer

OnePotato said:
I've also done some thinking about the book to accompany it.
My recent experiences in the tarot history arena have forced a major re-think of my plan.
While a re-think due to advances in tarot history does sound interesting, is doing a book to go with your deck maybe giving yourself waaaay too much to chew? I think that your images speak for themselves and the deck stands on its own as a valuable (potential) addition to the TdM ranks.

Anyhoo, please let me - or any of us - know if there's anything we can do to help :) I don't think that's a strange offer, is it?

\m/ Kat

nisaba

OnePotato said:
I think three people on AT (besides me) have copies of this deck.
Aside from the original painted one, I only made 12.

But anyway, the finished deck is a long way off, so let's not get ahead of the game...
We can be patient people! Now then, move away from the computer and get back to your easel!

irmata

OnePotato said:
I think three people on AT (besides me) have copies of this deck.
Aside from the original painted one, I only made 12.

It's been about a year since I quietly stepped away from work on the pips for the full deck, but I've just recently picked it up again.
It has not been an easy project.
Now I've scrapped the batons sheet, and have started a fresh one.
If it works out ok this time, I'll continue on directly with cups.

I've also done some thinking about the book to accompany it.
My recent experiences in the tarot history arena have forced a major re-think of my plan.
But anyway, the finished deck is a long way off, so let's not get ahead of the game...

I love, love, LOVE the artwork! You have a wonderful style of working with watercolours and the pips I've seen are equally as light, yet deep, as the majors.

Kudos to you for tackling this mammoth task!

Ezili

That artwork is magnificent.

OnePotato

Thank you irmata and Ezili.
I appreciate your comments very much.

prudence said:
....(I winced a bit at the idea of your entire wands sheet being scrapped! But I trust you to know your own vision.... )
Hullo Prudence.
Actually, it was a technical issue that had nothing to do with vision.
During my walk away, some of the latex masking sat on the sheet for too long and dried too hard, so it became un-removable.
With watercolor, timing is everything.
:)

thorhammer said:
While a re-think due to advances in tarot history does sound interesting,.....
Hullo Kat.
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm afraid you've misunderstood!
Who said anything about "advances"?
I seem to recall mentioning something about an "arena"......
:D

thorhammer said:
......is doing a book to go with your deck maybe giving yourself waaaay too much to chew? I think that your images speak for themselves and the deck stands on its own as a valuable (potential) addition to the TdM ranks.
Well, the main intention was for the images to speak for themselves, so I'm happy to hear that.
The book would be about visual language and structure.
I have always tried to stress that this deck was an academic exercise, and I've thought of the actual rendering as something of an afterthought.
But as it stands, I expect I'll do an edition of the deck for the little group of people who have been patiently waiting for it, and a separate "book" edition will follow elsewhere. (It probably won't appeal to many people around here.)
;)

thorhammer

OnePotato said:
Hullo Kat.
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I'm afraid you've misunderstood!
Who said anything about "advances"?
I seem to recall mentioning something about an "arena"......
Weelll, okay . . . potayto . . . potarto :D
Well, the main intention was for the images to speak for themselves, so I'm happy to hear that.
The book would be about visual language and structure.
I have always tried to stress that this deck was an academic exercise, and I've thought of the actual rendering as something of an afterthought.
But as it stands, I expect I'll do an edition of the deck for the little group of people who have been patiently waiting for it, and a separate "book" edition will follow elsewhere. (It probably won't appeal to many people around here.)
;)
There'd be a few ;) but probably not enough to justify a whole printing. I'd get it, then would spend about three years trying to get from one end to the other out of sheer loyalty and dogged determination. I would probably learn nothing, as my brain seems to have developed a complete inability to assimilate information . . . but I'd get it :)

I find it fascinating, though, that you came at the deck as an academic exercise and not as an artistic one - if you will permit me the distinction.

For an afterthought, it is certainly a beautiful one.

\m/ Kat

\m/ Kat

irmata

OnePotato said:
Actually, it was a technical issue that had nothing to do with vision.
During my walk away, some of the latex masking sat on the sheet for too long and dried too hard, so it became un-removable.
With watercolor, timing is everything.

:O

I would be DEVASTATED. "Big ups" to you for having the strength to continue!

SolSionnach

I'm so glad to see that you've restarted this project, Bill.

I'm definitely up for a copy, when it's done. :) :) :)

la-luna

OnePotato said:
.. as it stands, I expect I'll do an edition of the deck for the little group of people who have been patiently waiting for it, and a separate "book" edition will follow elsewhere. (It probably won't appeal to many people around here.)
;)

And we still await (im)patiantly and full of wondering wonderful anticipation!