the phantomwise tarot - deck in progress

Sidhe-Ra

That's great! :) Your deck is shaping up to be at least every bit as fabulous as the potential of the first few cards hinted- well done!

Blessings,

Em x

RichardDirt

Now I think I've realized why I like your deck in progress. Have you seen the artist Dame Darcy? Your art isn't like hers, but it has that same feel, especially with the lovers and the striped stockings.

alizarin

I haven't seen Dame Darcy's work, I'll have to check it out. (The Lovers is a bit of a nod to The Dresden Dolls, including the striped stockings.) Thanks for the rec, RichardDirt, and yay for BPAL people!

Finished Temperance today. She's likely the closest I'll get to painting myself into the deck, as I gave her my current hairstyle of choice and tea, but it wasn't entirely intentional. I was going to have two teacups, but she really wanted the whole pot. I think it still works for the meaning and tone of the card, though.

I'm going to take tiny break from working on the deck, considering how quickly I managed to get through the last few cards I don't want to burn out. Also, I have no idea what to do for the Devil so I'm going to have to ponder it for awhile. Shouldn't be too terribly long, I still want to have the Majors done sometime this Summer.

Entire gallery is here, now on two pages!

truelighth

Your temperance is wonderful!!! She really is. I like her, with teapot and all. Somehow the teapot gives something light and playfull to the card. This is one angel I would love to have tea with :).

RichardDirt

Oh, I didn't make the connection to the Dresden Dolls! I'm Friendthegirl over there btw, I think I sent you a message already about your deck and of course, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

SilentBreeze

I really like the deck so far. Especially the fool, reminds me a bit of Alice in Wonderland, I wonder if thats what you intended.
Your artwork is so beautiful!

alizarin

So on Monday my hard drive decided to die, in the midst of backing up all my files. It took all my art with it, and we're still trying to figure out what (if anything) can be recovered. Luckily, most of it is kicking around online.

But on the bright side, it means I have a sassy new computer, with better color and screen resolution and it will make working a much more pleasant experience, *and* it bodes well for doing some prints of a few cards, too.

All in all, a crazy but somewhat appropriate week for finishing The Devil.

He has a bit of a Mad Hatter vibe to him, and I like to think he's about to offer to buy you a drink.

And yes, SilentBreeze, the Fool is intentionally Alice-y. I didn't want to do an entirely Wonderland deck, but I wanted hints of it here and there.

Sidhe-Ra

Such a tempting Devil!

What a very, very, very cool and unique deck this is shaping up to be!

Blessings,

Em x

Chronata

The Devil is really Wonderful!!!!

You inspire and delight me with each new painting you finish.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your files! Geh! That's happened to me twice now!

Luckily, you still have the original paintings though...don't you?

Congratulations...your'e almost to the end of the Majors!!!

alizarin

I do still have all the paintings, thankfully. I'd decided not to sell any of them at least until the majors are complete, so I can rephotograph all of them without too much trouble. Besides, that'll give me a chance to do touch ups on some of the earlier ones.

Finished the Tower today. I really had no idea what to do with it, other than I knew I didn't want to have actual bodies falling, I didn't think it fit well with the tone of the deck so far. I think the clock substitutes nicely.

I'm probably going to be working on the Star, Moon & Sun all at the same time, so it might be awhile before all of them are complete. After that, though, nearly done! I might need to take some time off before embarking on the minors...