RWS 1971 - To Bid or Not to Bid?

Debra

Oh, beats me LRichard. I shouldn't have made such a broad generalization!

All I can say is, I got mine in 1971, it doesn't have a copyright, it's lovely cardstock and I've seen newer that I like much less, they come up fairly regularly on e-bay and not too pricey, but you've got to look carefully to see if there's a copyright notice on them.

Chiska

I have the French Edition (from the 80s) and it is quite lovely and not like the plasticky laminated new one I have (a late 1990s model). It feels very nice - probably because it has received regular use. I do love used decks...

Though, and this might be a stupid question (I am not a RWS expert at all), but didn't they printing of them move from AGMuller in Switzerland to Italy at some point? The French Edition is printed by AGMuller. Maybe that has something to do with the shift in lamination and gloss levels?

Yineth

I think because the pack is still sealed and comes in the original box the bids will go quite high. Personally, I'd prefer a used deck.

@Bogiesan: I've actually browsed around eBay for used decks and found they're sometimes higher in price than what the deck I'm *ahem* chasing after is going for. Perhaps there's a higher value in used decks more than original-packaging decks o_O

[Quick! Everyone start using your decks :p]

Edit: Bid price is now at $16 (US Dollars) with 1 day 16 hours remaining.

Le Fanu

Is that always true? I have a deck with the copyrights, and the colors are quite soft, matte, and the cards have a velvety feel. I think it is from the early 1980s. It is my Italian printed deck that is too hideous to use.
Debra's right. I have written before how I had a blue box older Rider & Co RWS with copyright and then found another that I loved much more unreservedly. I couldn't understand why. It was only after 6 months or so that I realised it had no copyright. I simply hadn't noticed but the overall harmoniousness had got me on a deeper level. I now know how that little copyright stain at the bottom right unbalances the cards at a deeper, subconscious level. Before I even looked for these things it bothered me.
Though, and this might be a stupid question (I am not a RWS expert at all), but didn't they printing of them move from AGMuller in Switzerland to Italy at some point? The French Edition is printed by AGMuller. Maybe that has something to do with the shift in lamination and gloss levels?
Some of the English blue box ones have AG Muller on the box, but others are just Rider & Co. Before AG Muller it was Rider & Co.

vee

This thread has made me want my own copy, but I didn't want to pounce on your auction so I looked around. It seems like it should be fairly easy on US Ebay to get a copyright free version for under 30$. :) So good luck!

Yineth

This thread has made me want my own copy, but I didn't want to pounce on your auction so I looked around. It seems like it should be fairly easy on US Ebay to get a copyright free version for under 30$. :) So good luck!

Oh vee, I'm sorry! And thank you; I'm really hoping I'll get lucky with this one. 16 dollars is a decent price, but I kind of wish it would have stayed below 15.
Yes, there does seem to be a lot of different copies of the RWS available on eBay. You just need to really squint your eyes when you look at the displayed images (some of them are pretty tricksy in trying to hide the copyrights!)

Edit: Approximately 17 hours left on the auction. I will know the result around 7-8 pm EST on Sunday April 29 [a.k.a. today!]

bogiesan

Debra's right. I have written before how I had a blue box older Rider & Co RWS with copyright and then found another that I loved much more unreservedly. I couldn't understand why. It was only after 6 months or so that I realised it had no copyright. I simply hadn't noticed but the overall harmoniousness had got me on a deeper level. I now know how that little copyright stain at the bottom right unbalances the cards at a deeper, subconscious level. Before I even looked for these things it bothered me.Some of the English blue box ones have AG Muller on the box, but others are just Rider & Co. Before AG Muller it was Rider & Co.

The legal department at US Games believes the invisible shield emanating from the © will protect their intellectual property in the same way you seem to feel the little bug and associated text contaminates your cards. Now THAT illustrates the power of symbol!

But why is the presence of a copyright bug any more powerful than the presence Pamela's sigil? Both indicate an effort to declare possession of — and identify as unique — original art. If the symoblism and cultural construct of copyright and the copyright bug had been available in the early 20th Century — and she had enjoyed the benefit of counsel — I believe Ms Smith would have employed it properly and prominently.

As a writer and photographer, I've been obsessed with protecting my original works for decades. As a professional, I've studied intellectual property laws and international agreements for almost as long. The presence of the bug itself is meaningless and offers no real protection for any artist or publisher who does not have the vast resources necessary to pursue and prosecute violators. Those who respect copyright protection do so voluntarily.

It is as easy to ignore the presence of this symbol's invisible shield and make scans of cards and post them on a website or make backup copies of OOP or one-off decks as it is to ignore the emanations from the little bug while reading one's cards. Of course, one may take advantage of US Games's thoughtful placement of the copyright bug. One may easily trim away the offending symbol. But what does the application of a weapon to one's cards do to their balance?

Sword King

Debra's right. I have written before how I had a blue box older Rider & Co RWS with copyright and then found another that I loved much more unreservedly. I couldn't understand why. It was only after 6 months or so that I realised it had no copyright. I simply hadn't noticed but the overall harmoniousness had got me on a deeper level. I now know how that little copyright stain at the bottom right unbalances the cards at a deeper, subconscious level. Before I even looked for these things it bothered me.Some of the English blue box ones have AG Muller on the box, but others are just Rider & Co. Before AG Muller it was Rider & Co.

At the risk of sounding completely unoriginal, I had a similar experience that I hadn't even considered until reading Debra's and Le Fanu's posts. I recently won my one-and-only Blue Box Rider on ebay and posted here about how much I loved the deck despite it being another RWS. Only this morning after reading this thread did I run upstairs and realize - yep, no copyright blemish.

If you had asked me before, I would have told you it makes no difference. But it does.

vee

Unless you're apologizing for enabling me on buying another deck, there's no need! (and even then :laugh:)

Good luck! :)

Bhavana

It's not just the copyrite for me - it's the softer, more muted colors, the lovely smooth matte finish of the deck...I guess I hadn't realized just how offensive to the eyes that new shiny gloss version of this deck is.

I'd like a few more of these decks, even if they have the copyrite - because I want to USE this one, it's too awesome to just put it in the box and store it away. It would be nice to have a few backups. What I would really love to find is an older printing of the ORW - because I hear that those are currently being printed in Italy and would be similar in finish to the yellow box RW.