Andy B. and Rana George (Books)

Teheuti

That really hit home. I am very much an intuitive reader. What I have learned is that I need to start over getting a better handle on the traditional meanings.
Two core principles really help one's Lenormand readings:

1) Restate the exact question as part of any answer you give (it makes you a better listener and keeps you on track). Example:
"How can I do better on my next test?"
"You can do better on your next test by . . ."

2) Check your "intuitive" response to the cards against the traditional meanings.
Have you gotten off track? Have you overlooked a possibility? Does your intuitive response align with the traditional one or contradict it? How? Which version (the traditional or the "first impression/feeling") says it more clearly and to the point than the other?

The biggest problems I've seen are that readers often don't address the question at all. They may focus on giving advice when none was asked for or give opinions that have nothing to do with the cards. Also, readers often want to make the querent feel better and "fix" their probems and so look for the best possible meaning for a card ("Cross is a karmic relationship that is meant to be") without even realizing that they are contradicting what the cards say.

There are ways to indicate problem areas and "no" answers in a compassionate way without twisting around the cards' meanings.

Village Witch

Two core principles really help one's Lenormand readings:

1) Restate the exact question as part of any answer you give (it makes you a better listener and keeps you on track). Example:
"How can I do better on my next test?"
"You can do better on your next test by . . ."

2) Check your "intuitive" response to the cards against the traditional meanings.
Have you gotten off track? Have you overlooked a possibility? Does your intuitive response align with the traditional one or contradict it? How? Which version (the traditional or the "first impression/feeling") says it more clearly and to the point than the other?

The biggest problems I've seen is that readers often don't address the question at all. They often focus on giving advice when none was asked for or give opinions that have nothing to do with the cards. Also, readers often want to make the querent feel better and "fix" their problems and so look for the best possible meaning for a card ("Cross is a karmic relationship that is meant to be") without even realizing that they are contradicting what the cards say.

There are ways to indicate problem areas and "no" answers in a compassionate way without twisting around the cards' meanings.

I often do find my interpretations contradict the traditional meanings. I'm working on that one. I need to start over by getting back to the basics.

I have seen on this forum where cards have been interpreted in ways that, as you say, don't address the question at all. I need to watch that I am not making the same mistakes.

And, yes, I tend to look for the best possible meaning, especially when reading for myself.

I have copied your post to a document file so I can refer to it again. Thank you!

Village Witch

I found Andy's book on my book shelf just yesterday. I had forgotten I owned it. I remember that it was my first Lenormand book and that I found it full of doom and gloom. Rana offered me a much more light hearted approach and so I became star struck. While I still love Rana's book, I can't remember the last time I opened it. I haven't opened Cailtin Matthew's book in quite awhile either.

The Mystical Lenormand book holds my interest, but after spending the morning reading some of Andy's book, I am quite excited to get back to basics. DND... and others who post here... have lead me to explore more traditional decks and the German style of reading. Little by little I am finding my nitch.

decan

Lenormand Symbols by Anthony Louis (ebook) is interesting. It isn't too long and you have the traditional meanings and the alternate meanings, but separately, so like this there isn't confusion; we can choose!

Village Witch

Lenormand Symbols by Anthony Louis (ebook) is interesting. It isn't too long and you have the traditional meanings and the alternate meanings, but separately, so like this there isn't confusion; we can choose!

I don't do ebooks, unfortunately.

The point is that I don't want to choose, at least not yet. I want to learn Lenormand in a traditional style. While I am an intuitive reader and have much success... according to my sitters... I desire a structured way to read. Once I learn the basics, we will see where it takes me.

Teheuti

I don't do ebooks, unfortunately.

The point is that I don't want to choose, at least not yet. I want to learn Lenormand in a traditional style. While I am an intuitive reader and have much success... according to my sitters... I desire a structured way to read. Once I learn the basics, we will see where it takes me.
Andy's book will give you a great start (I believe there's a print-on-demand version). Then on to Rana and Caitlin.

Village Witch

Andy's book will give you a great start (I believe there's a print-on-demand version). Then on to Rana and Caitlin.

Andy has me banging my head against the wall. Near and far is a problem for me. It makes sense, it's just having to break old habits. Also, there seem to be so many negative cards vs other author's interpretations. That's what threw me the first time I read his book. Definitely not a book for beginners. That's okay. I'm plugging along. Not giving up. :)