Critical cards when deciding on a deck

Shade

When people talk about Tarot decks they sometimes discuss how they have to like the way a certain card appears in a deck in order for them to purchase it, either for purely aesthetic reasons or because of their particular reading style (for example wanting the Lovers to show two people instead of three). Obviously Lenormand is much less susceptible to this as we don't read the Ship differently based on the way it looks in one deck but I wondered which cards people are especially fussy about when deciding if they like a deck. As an example, I know a lot of readers are put off by adorable mice.

Personally I'm finding I scrutinize the snake card quite a bit when looking at a new deck. despite their simplified anatomy a lot of decks seem to have very oddly shaped or weirdly proportioned snakes, snakes that are highly obfuscated, or snakes that just look like curly little piles. It's not a deal-breaker, the Marseilles Lenormand is a favorite for me and has a snake I don't find particularly attractive.

What's your card that you especially want a deck to "get right?"

Le Fanu

Easy! The cheese-ometer of any deck is the Child card. I need only see that card and I can make a decision.

Firstly, most people can't draw a child (is it a little adult? is it just a question of stunting height and adding a moon face?) - so any anatomical shortcomings will come across loud and clear.

Secondly, there is often an urge to make the child "magically innocent" - perhaps skipping, chasing a butterfly and here's where cheese levels get a bit distracting.

Anything else I can deal with - within reason - I mean I don't like it when the anchor card is really a ship or the garden card has a pathway or a dog. I hate those levels of ambiguity.

But the Child card speaks volumes as to whether I'll be able to take the deck seriously.

Village Witch

I get hung up on the birds card. Some decks have owls while others have twittering birds. Owls remind me of wisdom, being watchful, looking before I leap/doing my homework. Twittering birds speak of gossip and a good chat with friends. I'd rather have twittering birds than owls on the birds card.

Barleywine

I second the Child. It's really the only one that can make me cringe to the point of considering not buying the deck.

Laura Borealis

The Fox has to look right; it can't look tame. For instance the Dreaming Way - it looks like a pet, or worse, a fox stole.

Teheuti

I hate cute Mice. They are destructive vermin! Give me Mice gnawing away at food - preferably with the head to the right and the bum on the left - of the largest mouse, if there are more than one.

The only cards with people on them should be Woman, Man and Child. [Added: and Rider! - thanks Barleywine.] Don't show me a person holding or writing a letter.

Ambiguity in any cards turns me off. For instance, if a card shows a child playing with a dog: is it the Child or Dog card? I don't want to have to look at the number.

Lilies is often too vague (is it Lilies or Bouquet?). I don't like a household broom for Birchrod (although I don't mind a whip) and Scythe should be a proper scythe with a point pointing clearly to the left or right (I prefer it pointing left). I like it when Rider faces right, and there's two birds on the Bird card, but these are not deal-breakers.

I want things like the anchor, fish, stars, etc. to stand out clearly.

I've given up on a well-defined Clouds that have a clear dark side and with the bright side always to the top-right. In fact, I rarely use directional indicators based on the card pictures. For the most part I've standardized the few directional cues I use.

Barleywine

The only cards with people on them should be Woman, Man and Child. Don't show me a person holding or writing a letter.

Rider? Or is that just convenient iconography; they usually are fairly impersonal.

Nice summary, I have many of the same quarrels, especially with the Clouds, Lilies and Scythe, also anything ambiguous to the point of confusion.

Padma

I get hung up on the birds card. Some decks have owls while others have twittering birds. Owls remind me of wisdom, being watchful, looking before I leap/doing my homework. Twittering birds speak of gossip and a good chat with friends. I'd rather have twittering birds than owls on the birds card.

I agree. I don't like owls instead of birds, for the very same reason. Thanks for mentioning it, Village Witch!

I second the Child. It's really the only one that can make me cringe to the point of considering not buying the deck.

Yes. Have to agree with you and Le Fanu on this.

Myself, I like my cards do be directional - so I like it when they clearly face right or left. And Mice HAVE to point left, whether or not they are cute.

I also appreciate a decent looking snake, and a wild looking fox.

(And please, no person lying inside the coffin. eesh!)

One thing that makes the whole deck a deal-breaker - curly cues and decorative junk all over the cards. I want to see the symbols clearly.

Teheuti

Rider? Or is that just convenient iconography; they usually are fairly impersonal.

Nice summary, I have many of the same quarrels, especially with the Clouds, Lilies and Scythe, also anything ambiguous to the point of confusion.
Oops - my fault. You are right about Rider. I like seeing a man riding the horse! I'll edit my post.

Teheuti

I also appreciate a decent looking snake, and a wild looking fox.

(And please, no person lying inside the coffin. eesh!)

One thing that makes the whole deck a deal-breaker - curly cues and decorative junk all over the cards. I want to see the symbols clearly.
Yes, yes, yes - especially regarding decorative junk [except the Barbie Lenormand. I forgive that deck for so much because it is absolutely and gloriously kitsch.]

Playing card references are essential. I prefer having the entire playing card inset and not just a notation - but, again, not a deal-breaker.