Temperance & The Star

poivre

I have no idea & just wanted to ask...

In the cards Temperance & The Star, is there to be a connection?

They show a same like setting but different actions.

Thanks,
ros

ArcanoMáximo

For me they are totally opposed because while one reserves, the other abandons, one maintains, the other overturns, one mixs, the other separates.

In the TEMPERANCE the extremes are appreciated and they are mixed to achieve somewhat better, but a great conscious control is needed.

In THE STAR no longer is necessary that care since is sufficient with the force of the Faith to walk on the water.

In the first one one does, in the second "lets to do".

wizzle

While I agree with Arcano said, I believe there is a connection between Temperance and the Star based on the pool. Given the pool as a connector, we probably need to add the Moon as well since this card also features a pool.

In Temperance and the Moon, the pool goes across the entire foreground. As viewers, then, we are standing in the pool. We are, literally, forced to get our feet wet unless we can walk on the water as can the Star and the crayfish in the Moon. Notice that he is entirely out of the water. The Star allows us to find our footing on solid earth, but there is water flowing everywhere around us.

Temperance and the Moon seem most closely connected via the pool to me because in both cases a path runs from the pool into the background. Thus we can emerge out of the pool, having gotten our feet wet, and travel the path.

Temperance and the Star are seem connected not only by their pools but also becuase each has one foot on the earth and both are in some way controling water.

Now, if you put the cards out side by side, left to right in their numerical order, you will quickly see that they are the associated with the zodiacal signs ruled by fire, air and water. It's a very short leap to see these three cards, then, as being the three arms of the rosy cross with you, the viewer in the position of the earth on the long arm of the cross with the cards over you.

So putting it all together, and using the pools of water as a symbols for both baptismal or initiation type ceremonies and intuition, I'd say these cards show the viewer's entry (getting the feet wet) into the realms of fire, air and water.

GoddessArtemis

That's an interesting question because when I ask the cards to tell me something about me, I alternately get either Temperance and Star as my cards. Occasionally, I also get Strength.

I never quite understand the impact of these two cared. Wizzle...explain the fire, air, water aspect. I believe Temperance represents Sagittarius (fire), perhaps Star represents...what, Aquarius? And the Moon is...Pisces, perhaps?

GA

wizzle

Fire, air water

Goddess,

you are absolutely correct. Temperance is associated with Sagittarius, a fire sign, Star with Aquarius, air sign and Moon with Pisces, a water sign.

On the Rosicrucian cross, the left arm is red (fire) the top arm is yellow (air) and the right is blue (water). So it's the same order left to right. If you happen to have a thoth deck the cross is on the back of the cards. Or you can google it up on the web.

ArcanoMáximo

wizzle said:
Given the pool as a connector, we probably need to add the Moon as well since this card also features a pool.
I agree but I also think that to the same time they are completely opposed.
wizzle said:
Temperance and the Star are seem connected not only by their pools but also becuase each has one foot on the earth and both are in some way controling water
For me more than to control what The Star is doing is to abandon.
The walking on water is the effect.
I agree, we are walking in the water too at the moment of see the image, but the card is showing us which is the way in what we are doing it or we have to...
wizzle said:
unless we can walk on the water as can the Star and the crayfish in the Moon. Notice that he is entirely out of the water
Yes, i agree, it also walks on the water, but here what impels it is the fear.
It's no longer neither the control conscious, neither the faith, but the panic.
Like when one do incredible things in moments of an intense fear.
For example when those mothers that have lifted cars with the only force of their muscles to save their children, or those that have survived under completely incredible conditions during a cataclysm, etc...
When the inner beast is showing (the dog, the wolf).
We react instinctively, in the animal way.
The Moon as confusion and fear is demanding it.
For that reason "The Moon" for me is one of the arcanums that shows our most primitive part.
That is why i don't use any astrological associations at all.
They never adjust completely for me.

Sophie

If one shows these two cards to someone who knows nothing about the tarot and has never opened a book of meanings, I think they would see a strong visual connection: in the two vases and in the pools. The water/transmuting associations are very strong. Whatever the gloss one puts on these cards through tradition or personal meditation (e.g. AM's - "one is control the other is letting go"), there is no doubt that the imagery of these cards is strongly connected.

Iconographically these two are linked: as far back as antiquity the carvings and drawings of a maiden/god/ess pouring water from vases, either on the ground, in water or one into the other, were symbols of healing water. You see such imagery all around the Mediterranean, and it was very prevalent among the Celts, too - often to advertise healing springs.

Personally I would give another link between these two: both show some form of healing. The one (Temperance) is a personal healing through tempering, the other (The Star) a more cosmic healing, a healing given from outside oneself (or from one's Higher Self) which one reaches after accepting the world as it is - and one's place in it. The virtue of the Star is Hope - and Hope is the greatest healer of all.

As for the opposition AM sees between these two cards, if one accepts it (and I am not convinced it is more than a superficial opposition), then by analogy with astrological aspects, one might say they are connected through opposition.

Fulgour

Where to Begin?

If using the distinguished golden dawn re-fix-up (1=0):
letter 15 is matched with card 14 and so "sagittarius"
letter 18 is matched with card 17 and so "aquarius"

If beginning with the first letter as the first card (1=1):
letter 14 is matched with card 14 and so "scorpio"
letter 17 is matched with card 17 and so "a planet"

Since I think the "planet" on The Star is the Sun of day,
and can well imagine Temperance as watery old Scorpio,
for me there wouldn't be a case where I'd wonder which
meant what so much, but more enjoy them as they are.

Sophie

I think the middle star is the Dogstar, Sirius, the star of Isis. In fact, the whole card is redolent of Isis. I enjoy it very much :D

And since Temperance can be seen as a card of healing (among other things), that would make the angel Raphael. Different mythology, same impulse.

ArcanoMáximo

Helvetica said:
one might say they are connected through opposition.
very good point!
i guess i can agree with that.
This is what i adore in this forum!
All that arises from disagreement,
as one can see the different things...
Reading a book one cannot discuss with the author,
but here yes, i love it!

Then, Fulgour, which's your astrological correspondence for "The Moon" ?
I can only see it as the Moon herself, i find that Pisces is far from having something to do with its attributions...

And the Star for me ever was Venus!
Why no one say that?
hmmm...

AM*