10 of pentacles

Liralen

This card came up in a reading yesterday and the word "wizard's robe" came to my mind when I looked at the old man.

But I don't see a connection between a wizard's robe and the way I normally see this card (for me it means wealth, especially inherited wealth and traditions).

What do you think?

Fulgour

I had a similar experience to yours once, but it was the idea
of "Patterns" that transported my consciousness skyward...

There are so many different patterns to be found in this card.
Even the behaviour of the dogs...they follow a known pattern
by relating to the man and not minding the child Etc. etc. &c.

Rogan

I find this card can be one of the hardest to read - It can really depend on cards surrounding it, and what messages are coming through...

As for wizards robes - I know what you mean... Sometimes, this card can come up meaning "stale-mate" for me - Meaning simply that the people in this card have become totally complacent - They're there with each other, but they're not "there" - You know what I mean? - They don't appreciate it...
They don't appreciate the fact that the old man is actually quite special - Special like a wizard, or simply special like the old man of the house who has all the answers - The only ones who notice this are the dogs, because of their innate sense for things...

Wow, Im rambling...

Just one of my many interpretations for this card...

Teheuti

Yes - it could be reminiscent of Merlin - with Igraine and Uther (in disguise as Igraine's husband). The child would then be Morgaine. Interesting thought.

I've also seen this as Odysseus returning from his travels. Penelope is there with one of her suitors and her son. The dog is the one who first recognizes his master.

Mary

Al Si'ra

This card began to come up for me a lot in relationship spreads..The thing is this card is taken as a good sign if the relationship is not all that secure-could even indicate building a family together..
But when i look at the card..There are lots of pentacles in the form of this Kabbala tree you know and i feel like the figures are dissappearing behind them..I can't help myself but think this is a kind of web that they are trapped in..When appearing for ladies in readings..I aim to interpret this card as the lady trying to build a family in which she may not(looking at the other cards too) be happy to live in later on..It's not that she won't get it..She will..But it's not certain for me if she's going to be really happy with it..

:love:

Rosanne

There is one aspect of the Ten of Pentacles, that I would like to offer, in light of the 'Wizards robe'. The Tenth Commandment states' thou shalt not covet thy neighbours house,Neighbours wife, male servant ox and ass' (I think thats it.) What does 'covet' mean? I guess today it is taken to mean 'long to possess what belongs to another' There is an old association with 'coveting' and casting the evil eye or doing spells to bring evil down upon someone of whom you wish to own what is theirs; to change their Fortune. I often see this card as the safety, and completeness of the family can be bought down by 'wizardry' I often wonder why he is outside the gate/arch and not within the confines of the House? Is he looking for a home? Is his male servant/son pleading his cause?Or is all well and he can now leave for his own home after a visit? ~Rosanne

Fulgour

PCS 10 of Pentacles

Sevens:

In each of the 3 buildings seen through the arch:
7 windows

In the castle on the upper plaque:
7 windows

Seen among the 4 people and 2 dogs:
7 eyes

Also among this group:
7 hands and/or feet

:p It goes on like this... but then, depending on where
you start counting what ~ you could end up anyplace.

Liralen

I realize now that my view of the card has been a little too simple so far. Thanks for all the input!

RChMI

The Old man can be seen as Waite himself, projected in the image of The Ancient of Days. Within the robe is woven a talisman of his name.. W.A.I.T.E.

Fulgour

RChMI said:
The Old man can be seen as Waite himself, projected in the image of The Ancient of Days. Within the robe is woven a talisman of his name.. W.A.I.T.E.
I rather think Pam's robe here was inspired by a theatrical costume,
worn by King Lear during a famous performace she had a big part in.

W.H.I.T.B.Y. is the theme, since it was there in North Yorkshire that
Pamela Colman Smith performed the part of Cordelia ~ and very well.

Waite of course favored flowing white robes for his Grand Orient gig.