Mourning Bracelet

BodhiSeed

I've always heard the Queen of Swords was a widow, or that she was grieving the loss of a loved one, but I could never understand where that meaning came from (Yes, I was one of those who as a young child followed my grandparents around asking, "But why?"). I have been reading "Easy Guide to Tarot" by Marcia Masino, and she states that the Queen of Swords is wearing a Victorian mourning bracelet. So now, this meaning makes a bit more sense...

Bodhran

Fulgour

I read that they could be made from strands of hair,
often containing a portrait of the immortal beloved.

Attachments

• Victorian Mourning Bracelets - 3 styles.JPG
    Victorian Mourning Bracelets - 3 styles.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 333

tmgrl2

Also...qualities we associate with the Queen of Swords:

attentive, extreme intelligence, vigilant, strong, ready for battle, defensive,

With Queen of Cups, e.g., we think of the guardian of the emotions or spirit...

With Queen of Swords, one who is "sharp" (air) quick to "see," perhaps secretive, alone, one who isolates easily.....

As a "sword," then, either a mourning widow or a divorcee who has learned to be on guard, learned that loss happens and is painful...one who could turn the pain of loss or separation toward destruction or towards protection.

Could be a married person with same qualities..one who operates independently of spouse or family.

Then again, I just love the mourning bracelet!!! Cool picture, too, Fulgour!

TemperanceAngel

A-ha, my train of thought here too, well not the widow part, but the bracelet.

Does anyone have any other links to connect this bracelet to a mourning/widow bracelet?

Could it mean anything else?

So many questions, but no answers!

If we look at the way the Queen is holding her sword, the direction, with a sense of purpose. But this sense of purpose also displays the bracelet so prominenty, if you pay attention to that area and don't get overwhelmed by the imagery of the arm, sword and her expression.

It could be that when one faces the future with purpose this can therefore create a death in the past.

For the bracelet need not be literal to the querent (and the querent could also be a widow) but instead show a way on how to face the future at the end of a cycle.

Mere musings, I will stopp now.

Thanks for the thread bodhran :)

Fulgour

Throughout the 1800s and in some modern decks,
this Queen is sometimes shown with a man's head
somewhere in the design or even held in her hand.

Some mourning bracelets had a portrait or picture
attached or kept inside with a lock of their hair...
it's hard to get away from a widow interpretation,
but then any interpretation is only one possibility.

In my life, this Queen has always signified: power.
The kind of power that works behind the scenes~
but not in secret...she is there with what it takes.

BodhiSeed

Here are some quotes from Masino's book:

"A Victorian mourning bracelet is prominently displayed on her wrist, telling us of past hurts, lossses, and grief. The Queen of Swords is strong; the quality of self-rulership is attributed to her. At one time the traditional interpretation of this queen was a woman suffering; loneliness and the loss of loved ones. Sorrows beset her and her life was filled with grief. Today we view the Queen of Swords from a different perspective. Her aloneness does not indicate loneliness; instead it suggests independence."

"She may have experienced difficulties, set-backs, and life's problems. Her image is a powerful one, revealing that she has overcome her obstacles and risen above her enemies, who may be others in her life or her own emotional, physical, and mental self."

I'm enjoying all the comments! (And the pictures Fulgour!)
Bodhran

TenOfSwords

I think she's portrayed rather differently in the earlier TdM decks ~ As sometimes sitting underground, pregnant and watching the sword in a contemplating manner almost as if she's thinking about whether she should get up from below ground and let life spring from her (have the baby born)... Regardless of the actual interpretation of it, the 'newer' portrayal of her seem completely different to me.. a complete change of character (and also facing the other way) into something that almost seem the exact opposite... harsh, severe, dictating, anti-male in a way etc.

I have notion of her (the newer one) almost being a direct comment on the earlier queen. Done for a particular reason perhaps?

Any thoughts on that difference/transition between the two Queen of Swords or am I the only one puzzled by this?

Fulgour

Hello TenOfSwords

Here are images from four prominent TdMs...
Jean Dodal, Besancon, Laurent, and Conver:

Attachments

• Dodal - Besancon - Laurent - Conver TdMs.JPG
    Dodal - Besancon - Laurent - Conver TdMs.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 289

Fulgour

an enlarged view of just the hands

But...if the tassle is only decorative and
there is one being worn on each wrist...
it would still be significant but then how?

Attachments

• possibly Bracelets on both wrists....JPG
    possibly Bracelets on both wrists....JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 266

.traveller.

Those tassels and the color always made me think they were prayer bracelets. I'd never made the mourning bracelet connection.