Lost & Confused Newbie

fyreflye

Circles of Power, was a favourite of mine. A good practical guide that filled in a lot of the gaps back then. It's a shame it will probably never be reprinted. One of Greers latest books seems to be a sort of rehash, but he's gone and given it a top to bottom 'Celtic' make over and re-branded it, Druid Golden Dawn, or something like that. Not my cup of tea really.

Though OP, reasonably priced used copies of Circles of Power without its druidic makeover are still available from marketplace sellers on US Amazon. Don't know about its availability in the rest of the world.

Always Wondering

I want to add my own recommendation for a book by John Michael Greer, Paths of Wisdom, which deals with Qabalah in much greater detail. Greer is the only writer I know of on these topics whose ability to explain things clearly matches Lon Milo's, though he's not as funny.

Thanks. I ordered it, but it won't ship for three weeks!

AW

Lil Red

I read the whole book of Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot and I loved it. It is really a good book to read and you actually understand what he is saying. Also, I got a lot of wonderful notes.

Now, I'm currently reading The Chicken Qabalah cause I was still lost when DuQuette mention the Qabalah. I can finally say that reading even a few chapters of The Chicken Qabalah it clicks what DuQuette was trying to say in Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot. So, I'm still learning more about Thoth tarot and I'm really amazed cause Thoth tarot really throws you with everything. And I also realized, that Crowley does throw lots of Qabalah in his other books as well Thelema (I'm currently obsess with Crowley and DuQuette work at the moment :joke: )

What I am trying to say is a big thank you to all of you for helping out this newbie with Thoth tarot. I can finally see why people raves about it. :p

ravenest

That's the spirit!

That's the way to go IMO. Look at the OP here now look at the result.

You have spent a little time on studying the back ground material and have a worthwhile result. With a good attitude and accepting the responsibility of learning yourself the things you needed to ... and also seeking assistance , in a few months you have been able to see the value of this tool ... which may continue and grow and help you for the rest of your life.

You have bought me happiness this morning ... thank you :)

Lil Red

That's the way to go IMO. Look at the OP here now look at the result.

You have spent a little time on studying the back ground material and have a worthwhile result. With a good attitude and accepting the responsibility of learning yourself the things you needed to ... and also seeking assistance , in a few months you have been able to see the value of this tool ... which may continue and grow and help you for the rest of your life.

Yes I have. Ever since I finally got down to studying the Thoth tarot I sure learned a lot and what is amazing is that it is a never ending studying. What I am trying to do is take it one step at a time. Also, you sure are right about seeking for assistance cause I would had still been lost. :joke:

You have bought me happiness this morning ... thank you :)

Your welcome :D

AmberFox

just wonderful

Hi everyone!

This has just been wonderful to read this thread!
This is my first post in the Thoth section of this forum and it is not going to be the last as I have The Thoth tarot and DuQuette's book on its way and I so happen to have Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah already on my book shelf( well its in my lap at the mo)

I have this feeling that 2014 is going to be the year where I finally am going to study and get to know the things I have been to scared of or too lazy for getting to know.

LilRed I am so curious how your doing at the moment?

Amber

Grigori

Hi everyone!

This has just been wonderful to read this thread!
This is my first post in the Thoth section of this forum and it is not going to be the last as I have The Thoth tarot and DuQuette's book on its way and I so happen to have Fortune's The Mystical Qabalah already on my book shelf( well its in my lap at the mo)

I have this feeling that 2014 is going to be the year where I finally am going to study and get to know the things I have been to scared of or too lazy for getting to know.

LilRed I am so curious how your doing at the moment?

Amber

Welcome to the Thoth section Amber. Do feel free to start your own threads also, and say g'day in any that are running. We're also on the final few verses of our Book of The Law Study Group, and I have a grand idea for a new study group specific to the deck to start in the new year :)

Lil Red

Goodness gracious it almost been a year now since I started my Thoth tarot journey and I will admit that I am ready to bash my head. I have collected a couple of books of Crowley's work and it is helpful. I am super thankful that I read the Chicken Qabalah or I would have been lost a long time ago. I'm actually surprised that I visited the B.O.T.A. temple and I do plan in visiting the Golden Dawn temple as well (but that is in the far far future). The only thing that I have not done is educate myself in the Thelma which I do plan in doing soon.

I also got to admit that I rarely use my thoth tarot for readings since I am more interested in learning about the western mysteries then reading the deck. I believe it got to do that Crowley's basically throw everything at you. :grin:

So that is my update with my Thoth journey though I still dislike the minor arcana (okay maybe not so much). :joke:

fyreflye

I also got to admit that I rarely use my thoth tarot for readings since I am more interested in learning about the western mysteries then reading the deck.

The Thoth Tarot is the Western Mysteries. At least one version of them.
A study of The Book of Thoth by Whatsisname would teach you a whole lot more than any secondary sources you could find. But whatever you do, good luck on it.