Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Yarnzipan

The Deviant Moon just... will not talk to me. I pull it out, I shuffle it, I look through the cards and I'm just... repulsed. And I kind of hate that because I like stretching my boundaries and trying to connect with new and different and even the dark; the Dark Grimoire is one of my favorites! But the Deviant Moon just makes me think of like, edgelord early 90s stop motion animation shorts in all the worst ways and I simultaneously can't enjoy it or take it seriously. Obviously, from all the people who love it, it's not a bad deck and I know that; that's why I keep trying. But at this point, I'm about 90% sure it ain't for me.

The Wizard's Tarot is... I know what they were going for? But for some reason, the off-brand-Harry-Potter'ness just kind of throws me off. Not to mention that the Queen of Pentacles, a card I identify with, is deeply unpleasant looking to me. There's also something about the art style that doesn't ping me right, like it looks nice from a distance but I feel like I can see the seams in a few spots and it just does nothing good for me.

Julian Jaymes

This one might sound weird, because it's so popular, but...the Tarot Mucha. I just cannot connect with it. I'd sell it except that I edged my deck in gold and one card is slightly bent, so I don't even know if it would sell. T_T

I'm still going to try to connect with the decks I've bought, but argh, it's frustrating. I guess they can't all be my soul deck like the Starchild Tarot, but would they at least talk to me??

~JJ

Zotochk

First Light Tarot

I bought it on a whim at Barnes and Noble's to see what the cards were like. Honestly I would have loved to see a space tarot deck. But that's not what I ended up with....

Over sized Oracle cards that are difficult to shuffle with tiny hands. Actually, it might as well be two oracles and position cards to help make your own spreads. Each of the three have their own backs and it puts me off. Even my Cosmos deck having two backs makes more sense with it's structure. This? No.

I wish, oh I WISH that I'd had the data on my phone to check out the images before purchase (none featured on the box). Such a let down.

Maybe in the future I'll use it for spell work. *sigh*

Winterchild

Feel like I gotta apologize to my Deviant Moon - it seems over time my hands have gotten more used to shuffling in general and now I'm actually able to riffle it quite well. Deviant Moon, you're back in my no-regrets pile :heart:

This made me happy :) I love this deck so much....!

One deck that I have had a similar experience with is the Silver Witchcraft Tarot... I really did not like it at all on sight and then I put it outta sight and lost if for a couple of years... when it re-emerged I tried to pass it on but then I started to read the book and look at the cards a bit more deeply and oh boy, this is a pretty neat deck and has the best 9 of Swords ever!

Deck I can't stand and am ready to pass on.. Sacred Rose!!!

CharlotteK

Golden Universal - I was really attracted to the bling, but I just don't like the artwork, and the shininess is soon distracting.

Osho Zen - this appeals to me in so many ways in theory, but the reality is a deck I find extremely hard to read and it sits in a box in a drawer.

Golden Tarot by Kat Black - love the Moon card, but find the rest of it entirely uninspiring and it speaks nothing to me.

theEnigma

Beautiful creatures- especially now that the superior 2nd edition with the purple gilding is out.

conurelover

Two decks

Medieval Scapini. I should have listened to the de-enablers in the de-enabling thread. Ugh, what was I thinking...

Night Sun Tarot. I ended up hating it. The images began to bother me. I gave it away for free. You can look at my decks in my profile-this deck doesn't really fit with what I use either.

Glass Owl

Beautiful creatures- especially now that the superior 2nd edition with the purple gilding is out.
The purple gilding is an awesome touch and I prefer the backs on the second edition as well.

Miss Divine

For me it's the Linestrider. It's not that the art is bad (I really like it), or that the deck reads poorly, it's that the cardstock is so unsatisfying compared to other decks I have.

I just passed this on the other day. It just sat on my shelf unused because every time I pulled it out, I quickly put it back in the box again.
I hated the cardstock! But apart from that, although the art is pretty, it did nothing for me. The overall deck was just too white and bare for my taste.

Glass Owl

Shadowscapes for me as well. I do love the artwork - but I just cannot read with it whatsoever. Its funny though because when I purchased this deck I also bought one as a gift for my sister and she can read BEAUTIFULLY with it! It seems to inspire her completely. She is not much of a reader as far as she only reads now and again for herself, a few friends, or me. And, when she reads for me with this deck--she does so--wonderfully!

The John Dee Oracle deck is another one. Though this thread is about tarot decks, not oracles and I should stay on topic.

The Wild Unknown is another tarot deck I can't read with, but I do LOVE the artwork. It is another I will keep as a result of that. I also do not like the card stock with that one.

Some others are Ghosts & Spirits Tarot, Faery Wicca Tarot and the Paulina. I love all of them for their artwork--but I can never use them to read for clients. I just don't connect with them at all in that way. There are plenty more in my library as well.

I gave the Shadowscapes and Paulina to my teen daughter. I didn't connect with them and the art is difficult to see (at least for me.).

I couldn't wait trade the Ghost Tarot, I found it too flat and plain for my tastes.