Dondorf Lenormand history and charming mystery connection

Cerulean

1. Dondorf Lenormand examples below, but second link has the comparisons.

http://www.wopc.co.uk/uk/cartes-lenormand.html

World of Playing cards above.

1.The link to the variations are below:

http://www.dxpo-playingcards.com/xpo/variations/pages/dondorf-ft-00.htm

I haven't seen this posted yet, sorry if I missed it.

Here's a fascinating read for Lenormand fans, especially if you are like me and like to learn more about historic cartomancy...

The five pages with color examples, notes on size and links to historic instructions and variations between Dondorf and other related cards releases through the Carreras Tobacco company (Black Cat?)

Enjoy--I've bookmarked and am enjoying looking at these all. If I ever get samples that rival these great and clear shots of historic cards, I'd love to post to this thread. Maybe others who have the historic examples noted will also like to post here.

Cerulean

Le Fanu

I adore the Dondorf. My favourite historic Lenormand pattern.

And how's this for a fabulous Dondorf link?

starlightexp

OMG I LOVE that back!

Cerulean

Gorgeous, amd hope to see more...

I adore the Dondorf. My favourite historic Lenormand pattern.

And how's this for a fabulous Dondorf link?

I think my favorite "French“ cartomancy pattern was so in name, but the designs were Dondorf. One of used decks were so washed out, a hopeful replacement will show up better. And yes, too.
some backs had gilding too.

I hope to return with good samples.

Le Fanu

Here are a couple of pics of my (French-versed) Dondorf (1900)

Attachments

• My Dondorf5.jpg
    My Dondorf5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 526
  • My Dondorfs2.jpg
    My Dondorfs2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 423

tarot heart

Here are a couple of pics of my (French-versed) Dondorf (1900)

I read somewhere on someone's blog that French-versed Lenormands have a totally different meaning that the ones that have been translated into English. Does anyone know (who can read French) if this is true? Has a comparison been made?

Those are lovely cards Le Fanu, so evocative of times gone by...

Cerulean

I posted more literal translations of my Dondorf circa 1900

I will post the link I did last year of literal French to English Dondorf circa 1900 translations on this forum. People joked about them, that was their fun in response to my cheerful postings. I understand my work on them was only when I could fit it in. My way of looking at the historic meanings and feeling for language is very different than how some people view the common language today.

But the link below may assist you as a start. Someone suggested using the google chrome translation tools; my old fashioned language dictionary and comparison with two or three different decks in French and English led me down a different way of looking at the Dondorf illustrations and French to English interpretations.

I had for myself compared the Dondorf set to later ccirca 1950 to 2011 French and English reprints. But you can do as you like... I found everyone has their own personal responses to language, especially if it comes to how they read old-fashioned texts in French, English or other languages.. and your take on the different meanings will probably assist you finding lovely discoveries in how you like various comparisons,

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=157860

Cerulean

I read somewhere on someone's blog that French-versed Len as ypuormands have a totally different meaning that the ones that have been translated into English. Does anyone know (who can read French) if this is true? Has a comparison been made?

Cerulean

I posted more literal translations of my Dondorf circa 1900

I will post the link I did last year of literal French to English Dondorf circa 1900 translations on this forum. People joked about them, that was their fun in response to my cheerful postings

I had them for myself compared a later circa 1950 to 2000 French and English reprints. But you can do as you like...got to link later when on a laptop.

Cerulean

I read somewhere on someone's blog that French-versed Len as ypuormands have a totally different meaning that the ones that have been translated into English. Does anyone know (who can read French) if this is true? Has a comparison been made?