Lenormand Starter Deck Recommendations - Please :-)

MsAnon

Help me pick a good, stylish Lenormand deck that sticks to the basics too and goes along with the old as well as contemporary meanings. A stylized multi purpose Lenormand with a vintage feel, I guess is what I am asking your help finding :)

P.S. Cost is equally important, so if I could find something for a max of $35-40 including shipping to India, that would be really lovely.

Thanks. Be blessed and stay happy :heart:

-G.A.

So working with the Enchanted Lenormand has been a dream. The cards of good thick stock and small, so good for small hands but also great for large GT readings. Some have found that the borders are too busy, but honestly the fact that each image is centered in a crystal ball/bubble helps me focus and gives each equal importance. The cost is definitely worth it too because it comes with a great thick book full of meanings, spreads, and techniques. It comes with alternative male and female cards, good for same-sex readings and also ones of different skin tones. And when it comes to modified meaning, the cross was changed to 'the crossing' and instead of a crucifix it is a wooden bridge across a great canyon. although the meaning really doesnt change too much, i am so much more comfortable reading for myself and in the precense of others with this. it makes a lot sense for the modern times we live.

two cents. good luck on the search! xo

G6

Please be aware that the Titania's book is a completely non-standard approach to Lenormand. Some of the card meanings are totally made up and have nothing to do with the standard way of reading Lenormand. Don't expect other Lenormand readers to understand where you are coming from if you use her approach.

If you want to learn traditional Lenormand, then I recommend Andy Boroveshengra's kindle ebook (recently revised and expanded): Lenormand Thirty Six Cards which temporarily is selling at an extremely reasonable price at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Thirty-Six-Cards-2015-ebook/dp/B010EAA5YQ/
You can use Titania's cards with it.

Okay, I got this book, but I'm wanting something with more detailed meanings and combo meanings. Any recommendations?

Girl Archer

So working with the Enchanted Lenormand has been a dream. The cards of good thick stock and small, so good for small hands but also great for large GT readings. Some have found that the borders are too busy, but honestly the fact that each image is centered in a crystal ball/bubble helps me focus and gives each equal importance. The cost is definitely worth it too because it comes with a great thick book full of meanings, spreads, and techniques. It comes with alternative male and female cards, good for same-sex readings and also ones of different skin tones. And when it comes to modified meaning, the cross was changed to 'the crossing' and instead of a crucifix it is a wooden bridge across a great canyon. although the meaning really doesnt change too much, i am so much more comfortable reading for myself and in the precense of others with this. it makes a lot sense for the modern times we live.

two cents. good luck on the search! xo

Thank you for your assistance Ms Anon. I kind of liked the busy work around the borders too, actually. I feel like it makes them pop and gives this snow globe effect. The cross is about karmic trials, suffering and that sort of thing right? So how does a bridge achieve the same meaning and effect? I am asking because as a beginner it is important that the images and the meaning go hand in hand :) Nonetheless, a very charming Lenormand deck. Do Lenormand decks get classed as Oracle decks or they come in a whole new category? Cuz Robert Place has named his Lenormand as The Burning Serpent Oracle. I would buy it, (except for the cost and there are some confusing double cards like the flaming tree and the dead tree) because I adore his art style. To be honest, I find alternatives confusing though they come very in handy with same sex readings and the like. I really like the Under the Roses Lenormand. I have had a few readings with it and I kind of like it a lot. It makes the Snake pretty gentle, but the Whip is just a BBC Irene Adler (from Sherlock) type dominatrix which I cannot reconcile to the original meaning. So as you may see, I am pretty nitpicky.

I will let you know when I find the One Lenormand deck for me :) Thanks again for your suggestion and all the details you gave me about it. What are your thoughts on the Gilded Reverie, Burning Serpent Oracle and Under the Roses?

P.S. Would love to hear from other AT-ers too :)

1Eleven

Okay, I got this book, but I'm wanting something with more detailed meanings and combo meanings. Any recommendations?

Why?

There is beauty in simplicity.

If you'd like to look at card combinations then you could check out the work of Iris Treppner or Mario Dos Ventos. You can see some of his combinations in this Google book preview:
https://books.google.com/books?id=fZTGxCCC-wgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mario's book is a bit overpriced for the quality but I'm sure it would have value to most Lenormand readers.

If you want to take this study seriously than I'd caution you to only use combo's as a starting point and to gauge 'how' they ended up at their combo based on their meanings. If you focus simply on the combinations of others you will be extremely limited in your readings.

IMHO, there's no better book than Andy's. It really does contain most, if not all, of what you need.

Have fun

G6

Why?

There is beauty in simplicity.

If you'd like to look at card combinations then you could check out the work of Iris Treppner or Mario Dos Ventos. You can see some of his combinations in this Google book preview:
https://books.google.com/books?id=fZTGxCCC-wgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mario's book is a bit overpriced for the quality but I'm sure it would have value to most Lenormand readers.

If you want to take this study seriously than I'd caution you to only use combo's as a starting point and to gauge 'how' they ended up at their combo based on their meanings. If you focus simply on the combinations of others you will be extremely limited in your readings.

IMHO, there's no better book than Andy's. It really does contain most, if not all, of what you need.

Have fun

Why not? If there's more to know. That book does look good, but too pricey.
Thanks though!

G6

Just got Burning Serpent Oracle and Lenormand de Marseilles also! :)

The Lenormand de Marseilles seems more of a traditional lenormand deck, so that's cool. Cards were a little smaller and thinner than I had hoped, but I guess they will be good for full spreads.

Burning Serpent Oracle is AWESOME! Perfect size and thickness and of course Robert M. Place's artwork is AMAZING! Luving this deck!!! :)

I'm digging the Lenormand de Marseilles. I hope they make another edition Poker Size and with thicker cardstock (like the Burning Serpent Oracle).

Philippe

I'm digging the Lenormand de Marseilles. I hope they make another edition Poker Size and with thicker cardstock (like the Burning Serpent Oracle).

This Lenormand de Marseille is certainly not from Marseille, not even from a creator fluent in french (card 11 below) :
Les verges = the birch, whip etc BUT la verge = the penis
Hullo Dr Freud ?

Attachments

• Lenormand de Marseille 3.jpg
    Lenormand de Marseille 3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 113

Teheuti

I really like the Under the Roses Lenormand. I have had a few readings with it and I kind of like it a lot. It makes the Snake pretty gentle, but the Whip is just a BBC Irene Adler (from Sherlock) type dominatrix which I cannot reconcile to the original meaning. So as you may see, I am pretty nitpicky.
I really like this deck, too, but I know what you mean.

Among modern decks, based on the classics, I especially like:

Rootweaver's Vintage Lenormand (the mini size is quite nice and very handy).
http://rootweaver.com/product-category/lenormand/

Alone's Vision Lenormand (I like the borderless, bridge-size - fits spaces better).
http://desertrosetarot.bigcartel.com/product/alone-s-vision-lenormand

Teheuti

This Lenormand de Marseille is certainly not from Marseille, not even from a creator fluent in french (card 11 below) :
Les verges = the birch, whip etc BUT la verge = the penis
Hullo Dr Freud ?
You'll find the same play on words in all the European languages - yet, somehow, we are supposed to believe that this card has nothing to do with sex!

Girl Archer

I really like this deck, too, but I know what you mean.

Among modern decks, based on the classics, I especially like:

Rootweaver's Vintage Lenormand (the mini size is quite nice and very handy).
http://rootweaver.com/product-category/lenormand/

Alone's Vision Lenormand (I like the borderless, bridge-size - fits spaces better).
http://desertrosetarot.bigcartel.com/product/alone-s-vision-lenormand

I just loved the latter link you sent me Teheuti :thumbsup: The thing is, and I hope I am not silly here but I don't want a snake card that scares the bejeezus out of me and any future sitters I may have. So something gentle and easy on the eyes (as well as wallet), conforming to traditional meanings or at least not entirely deviating from it, a hint of colour and cheer... That would be my dream Lenormand. Subtly included keywords would be nice, if not... that is cool too. But I'd want the playing card and tarot equivalent etched on the card along with the card number. Oh yeah and they have to ship to India (most importantly!)

I love the vintage feel of the Rootweaver lenormand, but I read something about how you or someone else said that Crossroads should always show an intersection as that is what it stands for, and in this particular lennie.. it is just a nice winding road, green on either side. So cheerful, none of that indecision. In that way, I feel it moves away from tradition a bit. Likewise with Lenormand Silhouettes.. the birds are caged, aren't they supposed to be twittering about. Flying free? Isn't that what it stands for? Winds of change, gossip and all that? I suppose two caged birds could gossip all day :laugh:

Teheuti (and other Lennie lovers), I would like your opinion on the Langustl Lenormand (not his energetic Lenormand), Technoracle, Gilded Reverie, Lenormand Silhouettes by Kendra Hill, Pixie's Hidden Lenormand (cuz I love the RWS style of it), Lenormand Cartomancy by Christopher Butler (all listed on AT). Phew! I have listed everything I got on my Lenny-to-buy board on Pinterest :D

P.S. Is there a beginners' Lenny deck and book set?