Cat's Eye Tarot

baba-prague

Re: the snake

catdoc said:
It is my goal to have the cats in this deck doing cat like things which convey the spectrum of meanings expected in a "true tarot deck" but from a cat's eye point of view. It remains to be seen whether I will succeed in this goal. Many cat behaviors are pretty subtle and may be dificult to depict visually and acheive the desired impact. We shall see.

Deb

I like this aim very much. It makes me laugh because we have approached the whole idea so differently - our cats are not natural! But your very naturalistic content and style is something I've not really seen done, and it certainly appeals to me very much.

I still worry about that cat with the snake, but okay, I will tell myself he/she has the skill to handle the situation!

catdoc

Baba,
I think the kitty on the Ace of Wands will make out ok, but I am a little worried about the one who has to deal with the 10 of wands. I haven't settled on just how to best show a cat who has taken on a bit too much. :) Luckily I don't plan to wrestle with that one for a while. I am working on the other two aces and hope to make some progress this weekend. I can only paint when inspiration settles in and I have quiet time alone.

I have been following the many responses to the BBCT and have l have been overwhelmed with the beauty and detail of your creation. I am sure it does not surprise you that I can't wait to own a copy of your deck. Not only are the cats wonderful...., well what more is there to say.....

If your deck had been available a few years ago I might never have felt the need to create one of my own.

Deb

Imagemaker

I second all the compliments here and want to add--I LOVE the cat face on the back of the cards! Truly elegant in all respects.

catdoc

ace of pentacles

I have finished another ace. The ever practical and conventional suit of pentacles shows a cat and a mouse, with an earthy green and brown color scheme. I hope everyone won't worry too much about the mouse...... his fate is not decided in this card. I suppose the pentacles energy could actually fall in his favor. He has stuck with a known route and may yet make it to the grassy tunnel and evade capture. :)

http://www.catdocmaine.com/mytarot/acepents.html

the major arcana can be viewed:

http://www.catseyetarot.com

(this page was made using Ciro Marchetti's java script. I liked the way he had displayed his Gilded tarot so well. Thank you Ciro)

all three aces can be seen together:

http://www.catdocmaine.com/mytarot/aces.html

Deb

Lady Eclipse

Hi CatDoc,

I'm loving every minute of watching your amazing deck unfold! The Aces are fantastic! I can't wait to see more. :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

Alta

catdoc... a bit late to this thread, don't know how I missed it. What wonderful cards, very expressive.

catdoc

Ace of Swords

The fourth ace has been added to this deck. The scanned version could have benefited from a little tweaking of the contrast. The swords will be an 'airy' suit; blues and whites with blue-eyed, pointed coat color cats and birds or feathers when appropriate. (not that I think Siamese are more intellectually inclined than any other cats, I just thought the blue eyes would work well with the color scheme) :)

http://catdocmaine.com/mytarot/aceswords.html

I find that I am reasonably pleased with the four aces and the way that they relate to my sense of the energies of the four minor suits.

My choices of cat coat color for each of the suits has more to do with the use of color to create unity and mood than any strongly held beliefs about coat color and feline temperament. I would be interested in hearing opinions about such associations however.

Also, as I embark on the rest of the minors, thoughts about cat behaviors or situations that any of you might feel would work well to evoke a particular card meaning would be of interest. I have rough ideas for each card, but none are final until the paint drys on the paper.

Thanks,
Deb

baba-prague

This is a lovely card. I think the colour scheme works really well. I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other about using more blue and blue-eyed cats for Swords. Like you say, it fits with the colour scheme and I don't think anyone will feel that you are implying that these cats are more intellectual - or more confrontational - than any others.

These aces do have a nice coherence between them - but I think I particularly like this Ace of Swords - good one!

galadrial

Hi catdoc:)

I don't usually come to the Deck Creation threads as I am not an artist, but I dropped in to read the BBCT thread. Already being a fan of Baba's style, I'm naturally interested in her deck, but I want you to know that your deck is gorgeous in it's own right and I look forward to it's progress and completion. I definately already want to own a copy:)
Re: the Ten of Wands (and also touching on the Ace of Wands), I had a cat that caught a snake that was longer than he was and quite thick too. He did this without sustaining any injury- the tough part was getting it home. He put a lot of effort into carrying that snake a rather long distance so he could show it off at home. A burden, but one that he wasn't about to give up on. Just a thought.

Blessings, galadrial

catdoc

galadrial said:

Re: the Ten of Wands (and also touching on the Ace of Wands), I had a cat that caught a snake that was longer than he was and quite thick too. He did this without sustaining any injury- the tough part was getting it home. He put a lot of effort into carrying that snake a rather long distance so he could show it off at home. A burden, but one that he wasn't about to give up on. Just a thought.

Blessings, galadrial

Galadriel,
I love your idea for the 10 of wands. That would make an excellent counter balance to the ace. It would also fit with the idea that the wands suit energy, though exciting and adventurous, may cause us to "bite off more than we can carry home" :) I shall credit you when this image shows up on my Ten of Wands.

Deb