Tyldwick Tarot

PathWalker

Could most tarot readers who don't do readings purely by intuition read each card and know what it is?

Yes I think so. If you look carefully, the suit symbol and number is fairly well represented. The swords suit might have proved the hardest, and here you will helpfully find small motifs of the Marseille swords blended into the scene, to make it clearer :)
The courts might be the most difficult to tell apart without their titles, but that can be true of other decks as well.

Yes it's a deck with a strong atmosphere, but it's definately a tarot deck with atmosphere, rather than an oracle.

Just as an aside, I think that all the images are avaliable to view on the new website.

Pathwalker

PathWalker

What's YOUR impression of the cardstock please, DaisyDragonfly?

If it helps at all, the website says the cardstock is 350 gsm, and printed and gilded in Europe by Carta Mundi :)

Le Fanu

It seems to me that this is one of those decks - of which there is a growing number - of RWS stripped of all fat. It reminds me of the Wild Unknown ONLY in that the images are very minimalist and we think we read more intuitively than we do simply because you do actually have to know which RWS image the card is nodding at.

Cruel Thing was a bit like that (with suit images arranged like the RWS but no people, no action).

I love the Wild Unknown because I know which RWS images it is referencing. I think if I showed the Wild Unknown and this deck, the Tyldwick, to my neighbour or someone who knew nothing about tarot, I'm not sure they'd get much from the images. You do have to know your RWS. But then you do other things with it.

I love the look of this deck, always have. I like the idea of a world without human presençe. Like everyone has gone out, gone away. My idea of bliss to be honest :D

PathWalker

. I like the idea of a world without human presençe. Like everyone has gone out, gone away. My idea of bliss to be honest :D

Me too (she said, from her locked front door, her secluded garden, her unaswered 'phone).

Maybe you could be in the house whilst I'm in the garden and visa-versa?

:)

DaisyDragonfly

It seems to me that this is one of those decks - of which there is a growing number - of RWS stripped of all fat. It reminds me of the Wild Unknown ONLY in that the images are very minimalist and we think we read more intuitively than we do simply because you do actually have to know which RWS image the card is nodding at.

:D The Wild Unknown is exactly the deck this reminds me most of: its urban counterpart, so to speak. You definitely have to bring your knowledge of RWS to the deck, but its boiled down images allow more self-narration... It leaves gaps for the reader to fill in. Same as the Wild Unknown, same as TdM (this is, of course, utterly subjective!!)

I'm finding it does read very clearly, the messages no-nonsense.

Nina*

Thank you, DaisyDragonfly and PathWalker. Cardstock sounds good to me.

I ordered the deck yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive. :)

karen0205

If it helps at all, the website says the cardstock is 350 gsm, and printed and gilded in Europe by Carta Mundi :)

350 gsm is the same as 130 lb card/cover stock. I have 110 lb card stock here from making
my business cards. 130 lb should be a nice card, not too thick. I find it difficult to work
with a deck that is really thick. Especially if the finish is sticky. This seems like it's a nice size though.
I can't wait to get them. I haven't been able to order yet. Hopefully soon.

DaisyDragonfly's review is very exciting! It sounds so lovely.
From her description it almost sounds like the deck is silent. Just leaving little
hints of the messages on each card and we are supposed to find them.

Thank you for your review too Pathwalker. You'll have to let us know how it reads.

greatdane

Images are lovely

I am just a bit confused regarding knowing the cards by sight without titles. I've read posts that have said without the titles, hard to know some of the cards, and that's a good intuitive type deck. So...for those who have it, more oracle or more tarot? The images look really good and the deck seems so very cohesive, which not all decks are. Just still wondering if you read RWS and didn't have the titles and weren't an intuitive reader, would you know which card is which? Or is this deck that is really meant as more of an intuitive rather than an RWS deck? Just kind of on the fence regarding this one, I am not just an intuitive reader, I like to know which card is which by looking if possible.

Le Fanu

I am just a bit confused regarding knowing the cards by sight without titles. I've read posts that have said without the titles, hard to know some of the cards, and that's a good intuitive type deck. So...for those who have it, more oracle or more tarot? The images look really good and the deck seems so very cohesive, which not all decks are. Just still wondering if you read RWS and didn't have the titles and weren't an intuitive reader, would you know which card is which? Or is this deck that is really meant as more of an intuitive rather than an RWS deck? Just kind of on the fence regarding this one, I am not just an intuitive reader, I like to know which card is which by looking if possible.
Have a look at all the cards here and you'll be able to tell whether you could read with it.

dg.evans

Wonderful reviews. I've been waiting quite a while for this release! A small correction: there is one lone human figure on the 9 of swords. Neil Lovell explains this in the Designer Interview section of his website.

Carry on. : )