Playing Cards

kittenann

I don't know if this is in the right place, so please move it if so, but does anyone read with playing cards? If so is it an effective way to read and are there any sites or books that are a good place to read up on this?

Umbrae

I can, and have. Reading with playing cards is great.

Books? You will find that if you collect all the books you can find – each of them presents a different set of 52 ‘meanings’.

So I just transfer tarot card minor meanings (and I leave out the knights).

I like to use the US Games Systems 1865 reproduction deck.

psychicbody

I used to, before I got a real deck. I can explain some of the basics, if you like.

Each card suits can corespond to a Tarot suit, in the Minor Archana. There are only slight differences in the number of cards, for each suit: the Jack may be used to substitute the Page or the Knight. When using playing cards, I dont use the Joker, but if you decide to, then he may represent The Fool.

All four suits corespond to an element. Just like the Minor Archana, those are Earth, Fire, Air and Water. Here are the coresponding suits:

Diamonds = Pentacles = Earth
Spades = Swards = Fire*
Clubs = Wands = Air*
Hearts = Cups = Water
*Air and Fire associations may be exchanged, for these two suits.

I find it easier to use Numerology when using playing cards, because the Tarot conflics with some of the numerological associations. For example, 5 and 7 in the Tarot may represent misfortunes, where in Numerology, they are more favourable.

Ilithiya

I was taught a rather interesting read method from a friend of mine many years ago. Shuffle, and deal out cards face up until you've dealt out an ace; put the very next card atop that stack. Do the same with a second, third, and fourth pile until you've dealt out all the aces and have four cards to read. She used very basic Tarot meanings for this; and I don't see why this wouldn't work with a tarot deck, stripped of Majors or not.

Make sense so far? This is where it got sticky... I remember that she said a predominance of hearts would be a question about people, relationships, and/or love, and to read only the hearts; a predominance of clubs would be a question about work or school and only read the clubs. Unfortunately, it's been twelve years, never wrote it down, and went a long time without using it, so I'm afraid I forgot what swords and diamonds would be.

Perhaps it would be a start to coming up with something of your own? :)

Illy

MareSaturni

I read with Playing Cards...i recomend you this site: www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

It's the method i use...easy to remember and to learn. And browse through the site...you'll find the cartomancy for the witch of poor memory and the witch of middling memory. Read both, they are interesting and complete!

:TPW Yuko

ETA: Ah, i also recomend Jane Lyle's "The Fortune Teller's Deck"...good book and BEAUTIFUL deck! I bought it for a bargain price in Amazon.com...i think they still have some there.

Little Baron

miss_yuko said:
I read with Playing Cards...i recomend you this site: www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

It's the method i use...easy to remember and to learn. And browse through the site...you'll find the cartomancy for the witch of poor memory and the witch of middling memory. Read both, they are interesting and complete!

I can second this. The method here is a really good one and can have you reading the cards very quickly.

LB