Queen of Cups

tarotcognito

Hi all! Quick question about the RWS Queen of Cups: what exactly is she holding in her hands? Is it supposed to be the Holy Grail?

Thanks a bunch!

Richard

It looks like a Ciborium except for the two arms surmounted by Cherubim (like on the lid of the Ark of the Covenant). It probably refers to some version of the legendary Grail (such as the one in Galahad's quest, in which he sees the mystery of Transubstantiation).

Richard

In Chretien's Perceval the hermit tells Perceval about the Fisher King.
"Such a thing is the Grail, and so spiritual is the King, that for his life nothing is fitting save the Host that comes in the Grail."

I think the old King in Wolfram's Parzival also eats nothing but an occasional Host, brought to him in the Grail.

Thus the Grail sometimes seems to be a ciborium.

brightcrazystar

This is a ciborium, and yes with kerubim on it. The reason I have for saying this is the twofold nature of the word. note the simularity of the words.. I am almost positive A.E. Waite did.

The ciborium is the canopy in the sancutary, as found on the cancer card, The Chariot. There are two aspects of the angel on the gemini Card, The Lovers. These two are in precedence of the Yechidah (the big obvious angel.) She stands in observation of the two. Air and Water form the hexagram compleat, and this brings forth the water - the alchemical water "that does not wet the hand" thus the cup has no wet water therein.

She bears the cup-shaped ciborium, which holds the sacramental bread. Bread is a type of earth, brought forth from grain fed by the sun, earth tilled by air. In astrology, she is the last decan of gemini and the first two decans of cancer, thus the summer solstice occurs under her auspice.

Air is zain - the "sword" of the phallus, but also the plowshare.
Luna is demeter, sacred to grain. in this case barley.

This use of bread as the cup's contents, therefore is a sign of where grain left over from "the feast of unleavened bread" of first fruits was offered for making shewbread, and also to ferment for alchohol. Also the whole "bun in the oven" reference takes on new meaning entirely. This would make basically, for a baby, if 9 months, a near new-years baby. consistent with the deck's creators' christian sacred mythos. Of course, this is not part of the original description from Book T, where she is supposed to be holding a cup with a crayfish popping out. That was supposed to show the nature of trine to her Knight and lover - Knight of Cups. He rules the last decan of Aquarius, and the first two of Pisces.

This is Mariah/Semele/Deichtine, mother of Iesu/Dionysus/Setanta during the time of her visitation, in any myth of your choice. A.E. Waite and Pixie made an awesome revision optimised for their Christian sensibilities.

For Iesu says that the bread is his body. Also the church is called the Body of Christ. Corpus Christi is latin for "Body of Christ." This approximates it to the Trinity Sunday in their faith which falls in the vicinity of this card.

The other type of earth is salt, which is earth as spirit passive. these are shown in the cubical shape of her crown, for salt is cubically crystalline, and yellow is the color of sodium burning and chlorine saturation. hence it is yellow.

The reason earth is displayed is the cup is made of earth, to hold water.

The only thing missing is the lotuses, but they are alluded to in her mantle.

tarotcognito

Wow, brightcrazystar, you are a veritable fountain of esoterica.

Thank you, and thanks to you all, for your replies. I thought the cup might be a Holy Grail of sorts, just wasn't sure.

Though for the longest time, it looked to me like a small roboty thing with upraised clawlike limbs. 0_O

brightcrazystar

I started Tarot early, and used to call it her Go-Bot. Heh. Funny thing, it wasn't too far off.

tarotcognito

brightcrazystar said:
I started Tarot early, and used to call it her Go-Bot. Heh. Funny thing, it wasn't too far off.

Her "Go-Bot." That's rich, I like that.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was seeing things. 0_O

brightcrazystar

Neither you or I have the largest stretch I have ever seen.

I heard someone who had prolly not read a book since she passed ninth grade who is a professional reader call it a "UFO thing" in her "cup", and said it represents the unknown at the bottom of the ocean deep which climbs to the surface, from the water of emotion to the air of reason - she was right as well, at least in meaning. She got the essential key:

It represents the mystery of transformation that is the key to incarnation.

re-pete-a

brightcrazystarthe alchemical water "that does not wet the hand" [/QUOTE said:
Just a thought here. Could that liquid suggested as not wetting the hand be Mercury,quicksilver?

Starshower

Goodness. Thank you SO much, brightcrazystar, for providing all that fascinating information. It has helped me forge new connections between hitherto separate bits of my understanding.
And that, for me, is possibly my best & most favourite feeling of all - (I'm an Aquarian Q of Swords) - that sense of ideas coming together into a more comprehensive & integrated Whole.
My ever-increasing Quest for Integration ... Integrity ... diversity in Unity.
My Queen of Cups, indeed! :)