Waite and Asperger's Syndrome???

Richard

gregory said:
They were testing me for autism (well, whatever they called it back then !) and being antisocial at the time - don't feel bad. :D

You don't want to be the kid I was ! (You probably don't want to be the adult I became... }))

And OK, then my SQ must be around 572 !!!

Likewise, I don't think anyone would want to be the kid I was or the adult I have become. Colin Wilson's book, The Outsider, was an eye-opener for me. At least there is one narrow slot into which I fit.

gregory

LRichard said:
Likewise, I don't think anyone would want to be the kid I was or the adult I have become. Colin Wilson's book, The Outsider, was an eye-opener for me. At least there is one narrow slot into which I fit.
You fit that :bugeyed: ?

You win... :D

Cassandra022

I got a 31 on that test...

its kinda interesting...I def fit the doing things the same way, dont like spontaneous changes to routine at all, and in person social difficulty/awkwardness like woah but...I am very imaginative, can abstractly empathize/get into other people/character's heads, and am rather hypersensitive about boring people/being impolite/being burdensome in any way...although that might be compensating...i was a lot more about obsessively talking and boring shit out of my friends like that as a kid....then i became hypersensitive about not doing it and a lot of my social anxiety issues center around being a bother/bore....

:0

also, interesting original topic of thread...i think it'd be hard to really make an educated guess just from writings or such, a detailed account of interpersonal interactions of Waite might give a good hint though...

also interesting how nowadays all these things that used to just be quirks/oddities/facts of life/outliers are diagnoses...

Teheuti

LRichard said:
It's not so much the structure and precision, it is the way he tends to circle around and around a topic, seemingly without ever appreciably narrowing the diameter of the spiral. For example, in The Hidden Church of the Holy Grail, in a section supposedly summarizing the lesser Grail hallows, it starts out with the sentence, "The Hallows of the Graal legend are the beginning of its wonders and of its meanings only; but, as I have intimated already, the greater includes the lesser, and that which is of all the highest has assumed from the beginning in its symbolism the things by which it is surrounded." Does it get any clearer? Not very. On and on it goes until one gives up from sheer exhaustion.
Good example!

Even his peers found his works off-putting, except with his more "popular" books, which were essentially summarized compendiums of older or translated works (like much of PKT).

Teheuti

LRichard said:
I don't think that all of the circumlocutions are simply due to his trying to hide esoteric secrets. He doesn't come across as a sadistic type who is merely trying to tantalize readers.
I agree. I think on the one hand he was trying to be very precise—for example through his precision of language. OTOH, he was trying to point to a mystery that couldn't be put into words and to honor that.

Teheuti

Cassandra022 said:
also interesting how nowadays all these things that used to just be quirks/oddities/facts of life/outliers are diagnoses...
I know. A part of me feels bad about trying to classify Waite as AS (or any other classification), but, if true, it gives me a handle on how to better approach his material. At least, I think it will. His caustic comments about other writers, for instance. He's not negating them entirely, just pointing out their shortcomings without seeing the need to balance it with platitudes.

Carla

I scored 31 on that test. I'm not surprised. I was always told by my parents that I was 'backward'. (My mother's way of describing my social skills). I do hate social situations, don't understand the point of chitchat, get obsessed with certain topics (like tarot!), focus most of my attention on myself when I'm talking and forget to ask people about themselves. I have sometimes been told by my husband (who is English and has a very keen sense of social embarrassment) that I have been rude when I thought I was being polite (which he kindly puts down to my forthright Americanness, but I put down to my self-described 'autistic tendencies'). I forget details and niceties, like nt long ago I offered a book for a trade that I had forgotten someone here had given me, and she took exception to that. (I apologised and offered it on the giveaway thread). So...no surprise. But there is a big difference between my behaviour and the way I perceive the world (as near as I can tell) to my son's, who actually is Aspie. People might just think of me as awkward or 'forthright', but they'd see him as distinctly odd.

There's no way to know if Waite was autistic, but it's not unlikely.

Aerin

NLP training was a godsend to me. It gave me some RULES for the social stuff. I do a reasonable job as long as I don't have to keep it up for ages and ages, but it doesn't come naturally and I get tired from the effort. Especially when interacting with people who want you to read between the lines of what they are on about, I just can't seem to get it right and annoy them by not hearing what they aren't saying. Or they think I've said something (by not saying it) and I haven't.

(I get 36 on that test.)

There is no way to know about Waite really but it is interesting. I agree that many things that were thought of as simply a bit odd or eccentric seem to have been reclassified as something else. I wouldn't get diagnosed with anything I'm sure, I'm not distressed by liking maths :D.

Haven't done an IQ test for ages, it used to come somewhere in the 150s at school. One of the people who I went to school with tested at 176 on the Mensa test :O. There are different tests so it depends which one you take as well and some don't go any higher than a given number.

KariRoad

Hi Mary!

Waite gained a lot of points in my book when I learned of his friendship with Arthur Machen, a very intelligent and entertaining author. Also, I find that if I read Waite out loud the flow of his style reveals itself to me better.

Re: Asperger's syndrome ~ Temperance Brennan of BONES fame has this reference in Wikipedia.
Wikipedia said:
Throughout the course of the series, Brennan appears to be a brilliant anthropologist who lacks social skills. Her social ineptitude is especially apparent when it comes to pop culture jokes, sarcasm, and metaphors which she often interprets very literally. An example of this is when she mistakes Will Ferrell for Colin Farrell.

She had a difficult adolescence, and it is implied that her withdrawn social tendencies are a defence mechanism. She also sometimes struggles in identifying and explaining her emotions, and takes comfort in the rationality of her anthropologic discipline. Although it has been stated that Brennan was based on a person with Asperger syndrome, this has never been confirmed in the plot of the series.

The creator of the series has stated that the character was never labelled as having the syndrome in order to increase the appeal of the show on network television. This influence on her character also helps to explain her extreme rationality in early seasons, as well as some of her social difficulties. Brennan is a self-proclaimed atheist and often points out what she believes to be the irrationality of religious and spiritual beliefs. This has led to more than one argument with Booth, who is a devout Roman Catholic; he becomes particularly irate when she compares less common religions, such as voodoo, to Christianity.