Tartan Rider-Waite

nisaba

Which elder-edition blue-tartan-backed RW does NOT have the copyright date printed in the border? anyone know? I got to handle a copy belonging to a local woman recently - she picked it up used.

Debra

They were floating around in the early 1970's. I got one in 1971. I'm not sure what year they actually added the 1971 copyright to the border.

photokat

The "Blue Box" RWS (pic attached) and also the Yellow Box RWS that was printed in Switzerland is missing the © US Games on their decks.

But not all of them!

Both editions have decks with and without the ©.

Attachments

• bluebox.jpg
    bluebox.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 305

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
Which elder-edition blue-tartan-backed RW does NOT have the copyright date printed in the border? anyone know? I got to handle a copy belonging to a local woman recently - she picked it up used.
I asked this recently as I have one. I have three Blue Box Rider & Co RWS decks and only one doesn't have the copyright. It has the Fitzroy Sq address but then so does one of the others. The only differentiating feature is that the World card on the front of the box has a green-ish scarf and the other two (one from Fitzroy Sq and the other from Conway Street) are purple.

But I sse photokat's has a purple scarf!

This was one of the decks given to me by my Russian handyman so I have no provenance.

But I was told in a thread that it would be before 1971.

photokat

There are at least 4 different "Blue Box" RWS decks that I am aware of, so it can be confusing.

When buying this one on Ebay and the cards won't show up close, it's best to ask the seller about the copyright mark. Unfortunately, the box won't always say what's inside.

See these 2 pics on the shorter side of the outer box, see how one says only "Tarot Cards" and the other one a bunch of other stuff?

The second photo with all the other text is the older version of the "Blue Box" RWS, and most likely not to bear a copyright mark.

But then there are others, also. I have all versions that I have ever been able to track down so I have a bit of a reference point. It tends to be a bit confusing otherwise.

Attachments

• blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 235
  • blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 227

strings of life

And mine is a Rider & Co tuck box. It has the Fitzroy Square location and no copyright (just like the others mentioned).

ETA: Le Fanu, mine has a purple scarf too.

Attachments

• rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_front.jpg
    rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_front.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 235
  • rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_back.jpg
    rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_back.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 221
  • rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_front_side.jpg
    rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_square_front_side.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 276
  • rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_top_back.jpg
    rider_co_blue-tux_box_fitzroy_top_back.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 215

Sulis

Le Fanu said:
I asked this recently as I have one. I have three Blue Box Rider & Co RWS decks and only one doesn't have the copyright. It has the Fitzroy Sq address but then so does one of the others. The only differentiating feature is that the World card on the front of the box has a green-ish scarf and the other two (one from Fitzroy Sq and the other from Conway Street) are purple.

But I sse photokat's has a purple scarf!

This was one of the decks given to me by my Russian handyman so I have no provenance.

But I was told in a thread that it would be before 1971.

The Blue box RWS deck that I have has no copyright and The World Dancer on the front is just like the one that Photokat has shown - she has a purple sash.

strings of life

There's a long thread about the blue box versions here: Blue Box Rider Waite RWS. I posted in it when I won my eBay auction and Mary K. Greer said she had never seen a tuck box version of the deck before here.

photokat

aurarcana said:
And mine is a Rider & Co tuck box. It has the Fitzroy Square location and no copyright (just like the others mentioned).

ETA: Le Fanu, mine has a purple scarf too.

Yeah, I have this one also, but my box isn't as new looking as yours!

strings of life

photokat said:
Yeah, I have this one also, but my box isn't as new looking as yours!
And it was never used prior to me ;). I love the card stock and it reminds me of my Royal Fez, which is my favorite deck to touch (well also one of my favorites to read with). Does that just sound wrong? It sounds like I am fantasizing about card stock!

Now that I have the blue box today, I kind of want to use it, hehe.