anyone ever notice THIS in the RWS chariot?!

Richard

I don't know what to make of the roof colors. The roofs in Trump 7 are all red in each of my five RWS editions. In fact, almost all roofs in all of the cards are red.

What is that device which looks like a top? It is on the shield on the front of the chariot. It is not a dreidel, which is a four-faceted top (effectively a four-sided die) used in a Hanukkah game of chance. Maybe it really is a top, representing the "still point of the turning world" (a metaphor used by T. S. Elliot), which is effectively both stationary and in motion, without which there can be no dance. The Chariot is not going anywhere, but it has a dynamic ambience.

Parzival

RWS Chariot

As previously indicated, the so-called "Original RWS" recently printed in China has the white triangular roof to the left center of the card. The other printings have red roofs.

rwcarter

What is that device which looks like a top? It is on the shield on the front of the chariot. It is not a dreidel, which is a four-faceted top (effectively a four-sided die) used in a Hanukkah game of chance. Maybe it really is a top, representing the "still point of the turning world" (a metaphor used by T. S. Elliot), which is effectively both stationary and in motion, without which there can be no dance. The Chariot is not going anywhere, but it has a dynamic ambience.
The Chariot has a pacifier? (found in the Forum Index under the Chariot section....)

Richard

The Chariot has a pacifier? (found in the Forum Index under the Chariot section....)
Thanks a milllion for the "pacifier" link! Lingam and Yoni, a union of opposites, that rings a bell (an extremely pleasant bell, actually :D). It was suggested by Levi, who strongly influenced a lot of the Waite imagery. On the Tree of Life, the Chariot joins the projective with the receptive: Geburah (Strength) with Binah (Understanding).

arya ishtar

Most people referring to the "Original" deck here, outside of detailed research threads, mean the one marketed under that name:

This one. Which DO you mean, Arya ?

The only one I have with me at this moment is the 1971 plaid-backed USGames one - which has indeed all red roofs. The person to ask here would be truelighth, who has ALL sorts of old versions. :)

yep, that's the one. heard folks complain about the colors, but i love them! i feel right at home with the blue/green and the tan. even the bright yellow makes me happy. :)

so... if the "original rider waite" ISN'T the original, then it SHOULDN'T bother me that mine has 2 red stones in the moon resembling a lemniscate, but there are 3 in my blue-plaid-backed deck? (i forget - what am i? and what's the plaid? and is there anywhere where all the RWS decks are identified/compared/contrasted?) and should the last paragraph have been a new thread? i don't know from forums. i am a hermit. *lifts lamp*